Retirement Visa Age? 50 Or 55?

I'm 53 years old, currently in Thailand on tourist visa. I'd like to stabilize with a retirement visa, but when I returned to the web sites of the LA consulate and other immigration authorities, the stated age requirement had been bumped up from 50 to 55.

Does anyone know if this is real? Thanks

The minimum age of the applicant is must be at least 50 years old;
The above is taken from the Royal Thai Consulate LA website retirement visa page 5 minutes ago. Where exactly did you see 55? Perhaps an old quote rather than www.thai-la.net

Interesting.

VII. For the purpose of retirement in Thailand, the applicant must be at least 55 years old

Found at http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa.htm

Where did you see the quote about age 50?

The old regulation was 55, was lowered to 50 sometime ago.

Now that you are here in Thailand, 4th floor of main immigration and you can convert to on-immigrant 0 easily. Rely on the advice you get in this forum rather than out of courntry regualtions not inforced in Thailand.

Example, immigration here does not require anything from the embbassy or a crimminal record clearance.

Read the many posts under retirment visa threads going back a month in this forum and you will have more than enough information to make your visit to immigration a slam dunk.

I. QUALIFICATION OF THE APPLICNAT

A foreign national whose age is 50 years or above (on the date of submitting the application).

The above is from their boss, MFA, website 5 minutes ago. But who knows? :o

The quote I used from LA Consulate was from their "retirement visa" page.

Now that you are here in Thailand, 4th floor of main immigration and you can convert to on-immigrant 0 easily. .

Thanks. Can I really convert from 30-day tourist to non-immigrant O without leaving? Everything else I had seen implied the initial NI O had to be obtained in home country, after which it could be converted here.

Appreciate the help. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information

If you have the money in the bank and medical certificate/bank letter you should be able to convert your visa with a visit to immigration; if you have a tourist visa. But from your mention of 30 days you do not have a visa (you have a 30 day entry without visa stamp) so you need to exit and obtain a real tourist visa (60 day type) first.

If you have the money in the bank and medical certificate/bank letter you should be able to convert your visa with a visit to immigration; if you have a tourist visa. But from your mention of 30 days you do not have a visa (you have a 30 day entry without visa stamp) so you need to exit and obtain a real tourist visa (60 day type) first.

Thanks. That helps clarify it. What about the medical certificate? Can I get that in Thailand?

Any hospital should be able to provide the medical certificate here in Thailand.

Thanks, Lopburi.

Since you're so helpful, I've got another question to ask. Once I have the retirement visa, how difficult is it to get exit/re-entry permits for travel out of Thailand?

I'm planning to live here 10 months out of the year, and make a trip home or elswhere once a year. Likely to travel in-region as well.

Thanks again for your help.

Most people get a multi re entry stamp on the same day they renew visa for the same time period. You are then free to travel as much as you want whenever you want. Usually takes 2 hours to process so go have lunch and return to pick it up.