Telling Immigration officers you work online, if questioned at border

Just saw in a Bangkok facebook group this report...

You saw it, but did you believe it?

I did, it reminded me of other anecodotal reports on Thaivisa:

When I got my last visa I was asked how I supported myself I told them I work on line and showed them statements confirming I was paid into my UK account, they were happy with this and gave me a visa. I've got no interest in being "under the radar"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749038-with-a-thai-elite-visa-can-a-person-work-legally-as-a-digital-nomad/page-7#entry8314920

Also the blog owner who posted the report is quite well known and has been featured in major Thai media.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

In general I doubt they will be concerned,... yet. The original issue of working and visas revolved around NOT taking jobs from Thais. So working on line probably is not a player there. If one is clearly not just touristing about as things like the tourist visa by default expect, but is instead residing here and using the tourist visa as a means to stay long term in the country, well that might be a bit stickier. Taxation might raise an issue. Even though money is going to the UK or USA account or wherever, the work is being done in Thailand. Somebody will make an argument and enforce or monitor something at some point. Staying long long term on tourist visa, living in the same long term rental at a steep discount is not what the Tourist folks generally have in mind. How any of these arguments will fare when bounced against the simple argument "hey, I am here and spending money in Thailand", only time will tell

Labor maybe says it is OK to work online on a tourist visa.

Immigration maybe says that it is OK to work online on a tourist visa.

But MFA is the authority that issues the tourist visa.

All tourist visa application forms either ask that you state your purpose when entering the Kingdom on a tourist visa or that you declare that you are not working in any occupation or profession while you are in the Kingdom on a tourist Visa.

So MFA -- especially in cancelling a double entry Tourist visa obtained in countries bordering Thailand -- seems now to have their say on the issue by making it more difficult for you to stay long-time in Thailand on a succession of Tourist Visas whether you are working online or not.

• Like 1

I was going to post this story earlier on, but I forgot, watching football instead. The guy, Harvie - a farang abroad, makes his money online, not in Thailand, ebooks and other websites. It would seem that immigration are questioning people on tourist visas now, especially if you have been in the country over 6 months on a tourist visa.

I sent a friend of mine a link to this article and he said a teacher from his school was held for 5 hours at Don Muang because he was on a tourist visa this weekend.

• Like 1

Staying long long term on tourist visa, living in the same long term rental at a steep discount is not what the Tourist folks generally have in mind. How any of these arguments will fare when bounced against the simple argument "hey, I am here and spending money in Thailand", only time will tell

HA HA HA! "Steep discount"...since when farangs have gotten that kind of deals in Thailand?! More like the exact opposite.

Some people just do not like remote workers no matter what. They absolutely hate the fact the world has changed and where you work from does not matter that much anymore.

For Thailand it is a win-win situation. Money coming in, 5-15 times of average Thai salary per month. No obligations to pay anything back, like social security or even hospital bills.

Let's say 53 year old remote worker and 53 year old early retiree, both receiving the same amount of money per month...are you honestly going to say that 53 year old retiree is somehow more valuable to Thailand or his home country than that still working other guy?!

Apart from the fact that the digital nomad is not paying tax here like all the other legal workers.

---------------------------

And I bet, if you could get access to the tax records....he does not pay any tax in his home country either.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

For some people It is also a way of life.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Let's say 53 year old remote worker and 53 year old early retiree, both receiving the same amount of money per month...are you honestly going to say that 53 year old retiree is somehow more valuable to Thailand or his home country than that still working other guy?!

3 remote workers Vs 300,000 retirees on the same income.

Which group has the most value?

• Like 1

3 remote workers Vs 300,000 retirees on the same income.

Which group has the most value?

The Thai elite do not like smart, industrious people in their country. They may pose a challenge in the future.

• Like 2

I think its important to make a distinction between those online workers where their work is actually back in the UK or wherever home is (ie they manage a website for a UK business) and are able to show payments into a UK bank account. They simply are on extended holiday travel but are working for boss back home/even if boss is oneself...

The second category is an online worker who is making money from advertising marketing or click throughs from anything related to Thailand. And I'd suggest a travel blog might fall into this category.

I base this on dealings with my accountant and lawyer in bangkok where I get my tax and legal affairs managed as I have a business here self employed with all the little details to comply with.

They were very clear about defining where business was based and what based on.

When I enquired if I arranged all payments into foreign account would I simply be able to use my home country business and I was told as long as I could show my work was unrelated to being in Thailand (and blogging about Thailand is related to Thailand) and it was present existing ie I didn't start doing it whilst already in Thailand then OK.

For my situation I'm not totally online so had to register a business here etc - - still cheaper than home.

So when saying you work online to immigration I'd sttgly suggest you have proof of salary or payments ihtova foreign account and ability ticshownthem the type of online work you do to be very clear and make it easier for immigration officer as we know their attitude and knowledge vary from officer to officer and location to location.

Just saw in a Bangkok facebook group this report...

You saw it, but did you believe it?

I did, it reminded me of other anecodotal reports on Thaivisa:

When I got my last visa I was asked how I supported myself I told them I work on line and showed them statements confirming I was paid into my UK account, they were happy with this and gave me a visa. I've got no interest in being "under the radar"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749038-with-a-thai-elite-visa-can-a-person-work-legally-as-a-digital-nomad/page-7#entry8314920

Also the blog owner who posted the report is quite well known and has been featured in major Thai media.

Thank you for this additional information.

If I understand it correctly, the person referred to in post #1 was questioned at an unknown border entry point when he made the third entry into Thailand with his triple-entry tourist visa on an unknown date, and the person mentioned in post #5 was questioned when he applied for a visa of an unknown type at an unknown Thai consulate or embassy on an unknown date.

Both cases are interesting and worth noting. Still, is a pity that both did not give more details, for example a verbatim report of the – probably short – conversation with the immigration/consular officer. The dates would also be useful, as things seem to be changing fast.

On the whole, it is a positive sign if immigration and consular officials are not singling out so-called digital nomads for punishment for allegedly working illegally in Thailand.

• Like 1

The dates are known at least to the extent here:

thaivisa.jpg

So while he was issued a 3 x entry Tourist visa in UK in May 2015, he won't be getting another one. The MFA has not 'singled out' the digital nomad. It has just eliminated the 2x entry Tourist visa issued in countries bordering/neighboring Thailand which was the modus operandi of choice of the long-term digital nomad staying in the country on successive tourist visas.

Edited by JLCrab