I just can't stand the noise in this country

johnthompson

Best to move. There are quieter areas. In this village the biggest noise makers are the roosters, insects at night, there is the morning and evening announcements over the PA system , sound trucks once in a while, fireworks when they burn a body and now and then a motorbike in need of a new muffler. In the states it was mostly the sounds of Harley's, sirens, and power equipment that was offensive.

It's quieter here.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years back my MiL was being treated for cancer. My wife and I visited and discovered while she was laid in bed suffering the effects of the chemo, the local temple were robbing her of what sleep she could get by blasting pop music out of the speakers around the neighbourhood from 4:30 am to 8 am.

I spoke to the head monk explaining the situation and asking him to turn down the volume, his reponse 'Thaipeople like pop music'. So a no-go on the noise abatement.

We visited the following week, I sneaked out when the music started, cut the speaker wites and then megga tested the line back to the amplifier.

Instant peace and quiet.

A few years back my MiL was being treated for cancer. My wife and I visited and discovered while she was laid in bed suffering the effects of the chemo, the local temple were robbing her of what sleep she could get by blasting pop music out of the speakers around the neighbourhood from 4:30 am to 8 am.

I spoke to the head monk explaining the situation and asking him to turn down the volume, his reponse 'Thaipeople like pop music'. So a no-go on the noise abatement.

We visited the following week, I sneaked out when the music started, cut the speaker wites and then megga tested the line back to the amplifier.

Instant peace and quiet.

I've heard about this music coming from the temples, but never experienced it. Can someone explain this ritual to me? I can only imagine it's the temples where all the little gangsters go to wear the cloth when they want to make their friends and families feel like they're not as bad as everyone says they are.

I sneaked out when the music started, cut the speaker wites and then megga tested the line back to the amplifier.

So you went to a temple grounds and vandalized their stereo equipment and nobody saw you, even though music was playing, nobody noticed the farang standing there with wire cutters in his hand when the music went off.....gigglem.gif

Gotta love anonymous forums.

Best policy in a country of selfishness is to get a big piece of land, that requires some planning before hand though to realise, many Thais are selfish and not the "happy smiling bs" that they try to feed us

To get the land also requires a " decent Thai Wife/Husband" like hens teeth but can be found.

I ended up with 15 rai and NO neighbours, still get the occasional noise in the far distance and one pratt drives past at 5.50 everyday with boom boom blaring out.............mini bus driver on his way to death

Birds insects all ok by me

It took almost 2 years to find the right place at the right price and that was every weekend hunting for it.

"Best policy"????!!!!

Honestly, you just CAN'T make this shit up

I can all day, wots yer problem?

You suggested that the "best policy" for someone seeking peace and quiet in Thailand is to marry a local, buy a big chunk of land in her name and building/buying a bloody McMansion on it

Considering your "best policy" leaves you with your ass hanging out in the wind financially, I'd say that YOU'RE the one with the problem

There are far cheaper and infinitely less daft ways to secure a bit of peace & quiet in this country

Edited by Cypress Hill

Instant peace and quiet.

you did it to that cont

Best policy in a country of selfishness is to get a big piece of land, that requires some planning before hand though to realise, many Thais are selfish and not the "happy smiling bs" that they try to feed us

To get the land also requires a " decent Thai Wife/Husband" like hens teeth but can be found.

I ended up with 15 rai and NO neighbours, still get the occasional noise in the far distance and one pratt drives past at 5.50 everyday with boom boom blaring out.............mini bus driver on his way to death

Birds insects all ok by me

It took almost 2 years to find the right place at the right price and that was every weekend hunting for it.

"Best policy"????!!!!

Honestly, you just CAN'T make this shit up

I can all day, wots yer problem?

You suggested that the "best policy" for someone seeking peace and quiet in Thailand is to marry a local, buy a big chunk of land in her name and building/buying a bloody McMansion on it

Considering your "best policy" leaves you with your ass hanging out in the wind financially, I'd say that YOU'RE the one with the problem

There are far cheaper and infinitely less daft ways to secure a bit of peace & quiet in this country

Oh really,coffee1.gif I guess my total loss in the divorce scenario would be 450k max............ the Mc Mansion "YOU" mention is 50m2 + I built myself another house which is 48m2, both done for 450k, yes "built myself" .....NO I dont mean hired a local ,and NOPE nobody came and arrested me for doing it.

The land cost 800k and the Wife paid for the LAND out of her own cash NOT mine.

I NEVER said use yer own money............. 450k was my own money for materials concrete steel etc..............of course you could rent some condo box for 15k a month in the middle of a city but I have NO neighbours and NO noise. If you cant walk away form 450k you must be pretty damn poor.tongue.png

At the current time that would be 45k a year as married 10 years almost

Edited by kannot

I sneaked out when the music started, cut the speaker wites and then megga tested the line back to the amplifier.

So you went to a temple grounds and vandalized their stereo equipment and nobody saw you, even though music was playing, nobody noticed the farang standing there with wire cutters in his hand when the music went off.....gigglem.gif

Gotta love anonymous forums.

Id take one of his posts over a thousand of yours!

move to the place I am currently living, the View Talay 5C in Jomtien. It is so quiet on the balconies of the upper floors ( 9 - 22 ) and the only noise you hear are the birds chirping by the mornings.

There are mostly farangs living and no one would dare bother the other tenants with loud music.

I am sorry for you but you need to put some more effort into the search for a more soundproof location

Have to agree with you. Many people disregard condo living in case you get bad neighbours but living in the sky immediately cuts out noise from soi dogs and the 'bar across the road' and windows can be opened without the risk of mozzies if you're high enough up. Great views too wink.png

But, I sit at my desk on the PC looking into my garden, the flowers on the trees. I get up for a ciggy, walk into the garden and look at the flowers on the trees, then I look at the lake outside and feel the breeze...Hmmmm, yes, I do tell the odd snake to bugger off...laugh.png

You have a desk? I'm impressed.

Oh really,coffee1.gif I guess my total loss in the divorce scenario would be 450k max............ the Mc Mansion "YOU" mention is 50m2 + I built myself another house which is 48m2, both done for 450k, yes "built myself" .....NO I dont mean hired a local ,and NOPE nobody came and arrested me for doing it.

I NEVER said use yer own money............. 450k was my own money for materials concrete steel etc..............of course you could rent some condo box for 15k a month in the middle of a city but I have NO neighbours and NO noise. If you cant walk away form 450k you must be pretty damn poor.tongue.png

LOL, I risk a damn sight more than 450K every day of my life, mate, but I'm not stupid enough to risk it pursuing a "peace and quiet" strategy that's entirely dependent on others

I can get peace and quiet for a fraction of the cost and with zero risk

LOL, I risk a damn sight more than 450K every day of my life, mate, but I'm not stupid enough to risk it pursuing a "peace and quiet" strategy that's entirely dependent on others

Good plan

Thailand is a noisy country.

Thais seem to be able to tolerate a high level of noise without complaining. I've always found that to be peculiar.

Presumably the reason is that they were raised with it, whereas most of us weren't.

This topic is a regular on ThaiVisa - especially the Chiang Mai forum.

Familiar remedies are proposed time and time again, replete with personal accounts. Retaliate with loudspeakers of your own; throw firecrackers into your neighbours yard; poison their dogs or livestock, etc., etc., etc.

These are the fantasies of macho blowhards... don't believe a word of it... they are pussies at heart.

Like Casper Milquetoast they dream of a virile response and sweet revenge.

Your only realistic option is to move into a gated community or a condo with fellow farangs and leun mai Thais.

Disabuse yourself of the notion that you can integrate or assimilate to any meaningful degree in Thailand. Most farangs have come here too late in life. They are set in their ways and unable to change in any fundamental sense. Too old to master the language, or start a family and be anything other than a cash cow for some mercenary woman and her scheming relatives.

That's the reality of the situation.

Yes, there are those of us who have been here for a long time, "gone native" to one extent or another; but that cultural change very often brings unintended consequences such as the loss of our sanity.

Much better to live here as a complaining misfit, bitching about barking dogs and loud music... TIT.

Excellent post.

Your points would be hard to gainsay.

This is a topic that never fails to bring out ThaiVisa's Finest in full motley, replete with cap 'n bells.

For ludicrous replies and some good laughs, this subject always delivers.

It exposes the alienation felt by so many farangs which expresses itself in Thai-bashing and exasperation at minor aggravations.

Noise is part of the scene here. In some cases there may be common sense ways to deal with it without provoking retaliation. The challenge is to find them.

Good plan

Even that would be better than yours

homer-crosses-fingers.jpg?w=627

Good plan

alas we still await yours?

Edited by kannot

Oh sorry, I thought you'd uncovered my plan with the bucket-over-the-head photo.

I don't need a peace and quiet plan - I live smack bang in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Asoke because I LIKE the buzz of city life.

If I DID want the peace and quiet some crave, it would be a simple matter to rent a condo in a building with a lot of farangs, well-to-do Thais and/or Japanese (a lot of them around here).

Certainly wouldn't spend 2 years traipsing around the boonies looking to build a house on someone else's land

If it works for you, fine

but no one with any

sense would ever

regard it as a 'best

policy'

Oh sorry, I thought you'd uncovered my plan with the bucket-over-the-head photo.

I don't need a peace and quiet plan - I live smack bang in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Asoke because I LIKE the buzz of city life.

If I DID want the peace and quiet some crave, it would be a simple matter to rent a condo in a building with a lot of farangs, well-to-do Thais and/or Japanese (a lot of them around here).

Certainly wouldn't spend 2 years traipsing around the boonies looking to build a house on someone else's land

My mistake was assuming this topic was about " how to find peace and quiet" in a noisy country, guess the op's words went right over my head and seeing as he had already moved several times..........

Do you really think well to do Thais an Japanese behave any better? Many Japanese are smokers, its always nice wafting down the condo corridors as the lift door opens

I really dont think so, and when the well to do Thais arent there their well to do kids are often......... well to do little sh!ts, their well to do money doesnt give them any better standards in fact it seems to make them even worse......, let me know how you get on with a short term contract also,.

So the well to do Thai would be renting at what price?.............I think Il stick with my 450k loss and my peace an quiet, seems youd be losing way more than 450k in your well to do condo.

If it works for you, fine

but no one with any

sense would ever

regard it as a 'best

policy'

I dont regard constantly moving condo as a best policy either though, have you any other thoughts on avoiding noise?

Buy a drum kit and start practicing from 2 am. I'm not even joking...

Retaliation sometimes works.

I was subjected to much noise from an air conditioning plant from an infamous large hotel in Jomtien some 16/17 years ago. Complaints did nothing. When I made much noise in my house./ garden in the wee hours, right below guests bedrooms that overlooked, the management very soon came and discussed matters with me, which resolved the problem. biggrin.png

I have moved several times already because of noise and anywhere I go there is always some guy that has to make my life miserable.

Now I am stuck with a guy that plays music several hours per day. Yesterday it went on until 2 am. I complained about it and then they all ganged up on me. I offered to buy him any headphones that he want. He refused. I offered to split to week 50/50. He doesn't want that. And the most shocking part was that some random guy said it was his home so he can do anything he wants and everyone agreed with him. That is just so WRONG. I bet the cops are going to agree with them too.

I just can't believe how ignorant everyone in this country is and you just cant reason with these people. They are selfish. My life is miserable but he doesn't care cause he wants to listen to his music.

I have moved several times already because of noise and anywhere I go there is always some guy that has to make my life miserable.

Now I am stuck with a guy that plays music several hours per day. Yesterday it went on until 2 am. I complained about it and then they all ganged up on me. I offered to buy him any headphones that he want. He refused. I offered to split to week 50/50. He doesn't want that. And the most shocking part was that some random guy said it was his home so he can do anything he wants and everyone agreed with him. That is just so WRONG. I bet the cops are going to agree with them too.

I just can't believe how ignorant everyone in this country is and you just cant reason with these people. They are selfish. My life is miserable but he doesn't care cause he wants to listen to his music.

spit it out man?

My mistake was assuming this topic was about " how to find peace and quiet" in a noisy country, guess the op's words went right over my head and seeing as he had already moved several times..........

Do you really think well to do Thais an Japanese behave any better? Many Japanese are smokers, its always nice wafting down the condo corridors as the lift door opens

I really dont think so, and when the well to do Thais arent there their well to do kids are often......... well to do little sh!ts, their well to do money doesnt give them any better standards in fact it seems to make them even worse......, let me know how you get on with a short term contract also,.

So the well to do Thai would be renting at what price?.............I think Il stick with my 450k loss and my peace an quiet, seems youd be losing way more than 450k in your well to do condo.

I don't think they behave any better, I KNOW they do

I've lived in my place for over 5 years and my well-to-do Thai neighbours are exceptionally quiet.

The Japanese guys here always seem to be in the lobby with golf bags on their way to the course and, if you never saw them, you'd never know they were residents.

There isn't any smoke in the corridor but why would I give a toss about it if there was - the smokers don't live with me, do they?

Look, clearly I've got a life - I choose not to sweat the small stuff that clearly prompted you to adopt a ridiculously elaborate plan to achieve what the ordinary fella could do without marrying a local and trusting that she wouldn't go loco at some point in the future before tossing him out on his ass, usufruct or not

I don't think they behave any better, I KNOW they do

I've lived in my place for over 5 years and my well-to-do Thai neighbours are exceptionally quiet.

The Japanese guys here always seem to be in the lobby with golf bags on their way to the course and, if you never saw them, you'd never know they were residents.

There isn't any smoke in the corridor but why would I give a toss about it if there was - the smokers don't live with me, do they?

Look, clearly I've got a life - I choose not to sweat the small stuff that clearly prompted you to adopt a ridiculously elaborate plan to achieve what the ordinary fella could do without marrying a local and trusting that she wouldn't go loco at some point in the future before tossing him out on his ass, usufruct or not

Its not MY problem its the op's.......you seem to think I have a problem............I dont, I have what I want, peace and quiet at a price thats pretty reasonable in a country thats noisy.

What you know is solely your building, Ive seen many swanky condo buildings they still have problems with noise my Wife is forever dealing with crap from p**sed off tenants about it in her job.