Pensions for Thai people living in the UK

malct

My Thai wife and i have been married now for 4 years and she has lived in the UK for 4 years.

She is working part time, 15 hours a week and i am wondering what will happen when i am able to get my state pension and if my wife will be entitled to anything or can i claim for my wife.

regards work pensions, i know if anything happens to me, then the pensions will go to my wife, but i am unsure about the state pension.

I believe if she gets citizenship, She may get something.

She was paying NI when she had a full time job for 6 months.

Can anyone advise me.

Regards

Malc

Your wife's entitlement to a UK state pension is based upon her own personal contribution record.

6 months contribution is way short of the minimum to get a pension.

If she is in the UK or returns and works in the UK she will pay further contributions but it will be many years of contributions before she gets a pension worth having.

Your wife is not entitled to a pension on the basis of your contributions but will of course benefit from your pension while you are retired and still living.

My advice is therefore get in touch with the pension service and check your contribution record/forecast pension.

If you have any missing contribution years you can pay voluntary NI top up going back up to 7 years (check that number).

Topping up missing NI contributions to secure a full pension is one of the best pension deals going - a real bargain, so check this fisrt.

With repect to your work pension.

First thing to understand is you should make sure that your marriage is recorded with the pension provider.

Also make a statement of wishes naming your wife and the percentage of your pension you wish her to receive - include her Thai national ID number and contact address. Your pension provider will have forms for this.

DO NOT mention your pension in your will as doing so will have severe tax implications.

You might want to appoint a UK based solicitor to assist your wife in receiving you pension after you die - this is a good idea if your wife does not have English language or the skills to deal with claiming your pension.

If you do appoint a lawyer make this a fixed price service - not a percentage of the pension.

You could also ask a close friend or family member to do this, if you do provide a letter authorising their assistance and all the necessay contact details for your pension and wife.

Finally, be aware that if your wife is much younger than you (more than 10 years) then the pension scheme will almost certainly reduce the amount of pension they pay to your wife after your death. This to take into account that she has so much longer to live than a wife nearer your own age.

And finally finally, if your pension scheme includes a sizable life assurance you might consider contacting your provider to ask if this can be paid in stages or commuted as a higher pension payment rather than as a cash lump sum.

I was executor to a friend's will and witnessed firsthand what can happen when the widow of an expat receives a large lump of cash. It's not what I would want anyony to suffer (though of course thise that made off with the cash did not suffer).

Secure income is best!

Edited by GuestHouse

Thank you so much for your help, Just to point out the following

1. I Have 38 years NI contributions

2 My wife is 11 years younger than me.

3. I do have a will and my solicitor is the executor of the will, (My wife would not have a clue what to do)

4. with coming up to 55 next year, I will have options on pensions, but need to seek advice on that.

5. there is no mention of pensions in my will, but will have to put the paperwork together for that once i know what i am doing next year.

Any luck, the will, will not be needed for another 30 years, but everyone should make a will, Makes life a lot earlier for the loved ones left behind.