Advice on Installing New Patio Doors

We want to replace our wooden French windows (with bars) with UPVC or aluminium doors, sliding or opening outwards. Found the following local suppliers. Any advice welcome, especially regarding security. I think sliding doors are regarded as less secure. Thanks.

Euro PVC

http://europvc.co.th/

Magestic

http://www.majestec.co.th/

Inoutic

http://inoutic.co.th/

Prime Asia

http://www.prime-asia.co.th/

Hevta

http://www.hevta.co.th/?model=contents&type=home

If you have sliding doors the easiest way to secure them is to lock the doors then place a piece of wood on the rail between the door and the frame. The wood should be just a few millimetres shorter than the gap.

If someone tries to pry the door open, the door is completely stopped by the wood. They would have to destroy the door to get in. As an option you can paint the wood to either blend in or to stand out.

A cheap, quick fix.

If you have sliding doors the easiest way to secure them is to lock the doors then place a piece of wood on the rail between the door and the frame.

Of course you put the wood on the inside of the doors :)

To our OP, why do you want to replace the wooden doors? Unless they are actually falling apart wood looks so much nicer than plastic.

I wouldn't go for PVC. It discolours quickly in the Thai sun, plus the frames tend to be wider than aluminium ones. I've recently bought http://www.thaiaust.com/ doors and am happy. Available at Thai Watsuda (and possibly other) DIY stores.

I've been looking at aluminium double-glazing for some time but so far haven't found a suitable supplier/fitter.

Does Tai Watsudu actually have someone competent to take orders for custom sizes? Seems a bit unlikely.

How did you deal with the fitting?

Edit: I see that their dealer in Pattaya is HomeWorks, but the question is the same.

Edited by KittenKong

I wouldn't go for PVC. It discolours quickly in the Thai sun, plus the frames tend to be wider than aluminium ones. I've recently bought http://www.thaiaust.com/ doors and am happy. Available at Thai Watsuda (and possibly other) DIY stores.

I've been looking at aluminium double-glazing for some time but so far haven't found a suitable supplier/fitter.

Does Tai Watsudu actually have someone competent to take orders for custom sizes? Seems a bit unlikely.

Edit: I see that their dealer in Pattaya is HomeWorks, but the question is the same.

I can't answer your questions. Mine was for a new build, so I went with the ready made doors. I'd suggest you contact the manufacturer. They may deal with your directly, or be able to recommend someone in your area.

I can't answer your questions. Mine was for a new build, so I went with the ready made doors. I'd suggest you contact the manufacturer.

Certainly much simpler for a new build. I see from their website that they do custom sizes and so I will contact them. Their products look quite decent.

If you have sliding doors the easiest way to secure them is to lock the doors then place a piece of wood on the rail between the door and the frame.

Of course you put the wood on the inside of the doors smile.png

To our OP, why do you want to replace the wooden doors? Unless they are actually falling apart wood looks so much nicer than plastic.

We want to have an unobstructed view of the garden and do away with the security bars.

I went to HomeWorks today. They were unaware that they are the dealers for this company and had no idea at all how to proceed. I will try my local Tai Watsudu. You never know.

And therein lies the problem.

Traditionally sliding doors have the sliding part at the outside, so laying wooden blocks at the inside has no effect, other then that the burglar may stumble over them.

For that reason, and also so that I can have my insect screens at the outside, I have all my sliding windows and doors inverse installed.

As advice to the OP, go either with Euro PVC ( Veka) or Inoutic if you want quality.

I went to HomeWorks today. They were unaware that they are the dealers for this company and had no idea at all how to proceed. I will try my local Tai Watsudu. You never know.

If you want quality aluminium windows it will cost you more then uPvc.

The aluminium windows they sell in the hardware stores are not comparable with uPvc windows.

The aluminium windows they sell in the hardware stores are not comparable with uPvc windows.

I'm aware of both of these things, thanks.

About 10 years ago I had very good quality aluminium replacement windows (about 25 of them) fitted to a farmhouse in Europe but they cost a lot less than the sort of prices I have been quoted here for similar products.

I dont mind paying for a decent job though. My main objection to PVC is the thickness of the frames, which is unavoidable. Only aluminium offers really thin frames.

I'm aware of both of these things, thanks.

About 10 years ago I had very good quality aluminium replacement windows (about 25 of them) fitted to a farmhouse in Europe but they cost a lot less than the sort of prices I have been quoted here for similar products.

I dont mind paying for a decent job though. My main objection to PVC is the thickness of the frames, which is unavoidable. Only aluminium offers really thin frames.

The reason the quality aluminium are expensive here is because the profiles are imported from Europe. The cheap crap is produced here.

I dont mind paying for a decent job though.

The reason the quality aluminium are expensive here is because the profiles are imported from Europe. The cheap crap is produced here.

I'm aware of that too, but that doesn't account for the massively higher prices here. Only the frames and fittings are imported: not the glass and labour.

And therein lies the problem.

Traditionally sliding doors have the sliding part at the outside, so laying wooden blocks at the inside has no effect, other then that the burglar may stumble over them.

For that reason, and also so that I can have my insect screens at the outside, I have all my sliding windows and doors inverse installed.

As advice to the OP, go either with Euro PVC ( Veka) or Inoutic if you want quality.

My experiences differ. Where I've had single sliding doors they have opened on the inside. Where I have had double sliding doors they have opened on the outside.

Here's a picture of one of the single sliding doors we have currently:

post-234880-0-69177400-1448524984_thumb.

In regards to the glazing in the door, glass here in Thailand is usually available in 4mm, 5mm and 6mm thickness. The cheap stuff uses annealed glass and when it breaks, it is usually into big sharp edged shards.

Tempered glass is available, and it is about 4 times stronger than annealed, and when broken, breaks into 1/2" diameter or smaller pieces.

Laminated glass is available in Thailand, which is 2 or more sheets of glass bonded together with a plastic layer. There are 3 different ways to make laminate, but only one way in Thailand. The laminate glazing can be tempered or annealed. Some of the aluminum cheap frames can handle 2 sheets of 4mm, making 8mm laminated glass. Laminated is the strongest and usually does not separate into pieces when broken, like a car windshield. It is possible and preferable, to laminate glazing of different thickness, such 4mm and 5mm to make a 9mm laminated sheet, which reduces sound at different frequencies.

Finally, you can also choose an insulated unit for the doors. This unit consists of 2 or more sheets of glazing separated by a spacer and an air space. In most cases the glazing is annealed or tempered. The air space can be filled with a gas like argon, instead of dry air, to give the unit different properties.

Additionally, each of the sheets of glazing can be coated, to give it different properties, like a colour, reflect sun, etc..

Edited by cigar7

I read (someplace) not to reverse the tracks so that the screen was on the outside, even though it makes more sense to me. Something about a drainage slant to the bottom track? I assumed it meant that if a high wind blew water into the cracks, they would drain into the room, but not sure.