Thailand ready for G77 chairmanship

webfact

Foreign Affairs Ministry undersecretary: Thailand ready for G77 chairmanship

BANGKOK, 25 November 2015, (NNT) - Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs is hosting a workshop in Bangkok between November 25 and November 26, 2015, to make preparations for chairmanship of the Group of 77 (G77) in January 2016.

Foreign Affairs Ministry undersecretary Apichart Chinwanno is participating in the workshop to exchange views on Thailand’s preparations and roles as chair of the G77.

The workshop is also being attended by ministry officials in charge of the preparations for the Thai chairmanship, including Mr. Virachai Plasaito, the Thai ambassador and permanent representative to the United Nations in New York. Mr. Mourad Ahmia, the executive secretary of the Group of 77 and the Executive Secretariat’s staff members.

Mr. Kingsley Mamabolo, permanent representative and ambassador of South Africa to the United Nations in New York and the current chair of the G77 was also invited to the workshop to share views and experiences on key priorities, missions, plans, expectations and directions for the Group next year.

The undersecretary said Thailand which was recently endorsed by a group of 134 developing nations to receive the G77 chairmanship for 2016 has proposed to play the role of chairmanship under the theme "From Vision to Practice." Thailand is also committed to promoting a more participatory and democratic world economy and to pursuing the needs and aspirations of developing countries.

The participants’ views and inputs will form a solid basis for the workshop’s further deliberation on Thailand’s objectives, directions and roadmap for its upcoming chairmanship of the G77 throughout next year.

Thailand has had experiences which can be shared among members of the G77 such as the sufficiency economy philosophy, sustainable agriculture, public health policy and health insurance and comprehensive health packages so as to coordinate varied attitudes of the Group toward the same directions.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-11-25 footer_n.gif

... proposed to play the role of chairmanship under the theme "From Vision to Practice." Thailand is also committed to promoting a more participatory and democratic world economy and to pursuing the needs and aspirations of developing countries.

While in reality it is selling out to China, clamping down on the press and is almost blatantly accused of many crimes including human rights abuses, trafficking both human and wildlife, illegal fishing practices, and more.

Good to see the UN is still the venerable waste of space it has always been. Almost as clean as FIFA, or the English EPL when it comes to morality.

Edited by ParadiseLost

I have always looked looked upon the UN as an ideal with good intentions. But I have to bow to reality and if the UN is really that displeased with Thailand over recent events surely it has the power to revoke this G77 chair to Thailand. If it has no will or the power that pervades its own institution then it has no will or power to do anything else. I have always argued for the UN but I have to admit reality doesn't back me up. Maybe it's time it was disbanded.