Our Fish Farming Experiment....

Chris.B

Update and questions:

I went with my wife to watch the feeding of our pla duk. The water was fairly cloudy because two days previously she did some work in the pond while installing the net fence and in the process churned up some mud. Is this bad for the pla duk or other types of fish that might be there? Anyway the small pla duk came up and ate so it was nice to see that they have survived so far. There seems to be two kinds since some are very dark and some seem to be redish...any thoughts on the difference in coloration? My wife thinks we have some wild pla duk too since she says she has seen them before but we didn't see any during this feeding..maybe because of the cloudiness of the water.

I'm wondering about the best way to distribute the feed in the pond. I have heard that if you feed in one place only then the stronger fish will over eat and the weaker fish will get less and become even weaker perhaps and at any rate not grow very fast. Our pond is about 50 metres long and 3 metres wide (long and narrow) so my advise to the wife was to start out by walking the length of the pond throwing out feed continuously as she goes....that way the fish won't have to bunch up and perhaps not have to fight for the food thus giving the weaker fish better access to the food. Is this a good way to do it?...or what advise does anyone have? Distributing the feed all along the length of the pond might make it harder to determine when the fish have had enough since there probably is not such a pronounced feeding frenzy as when the food is concentrated in one spot. We are using the fish's interest in food as a way to guage how much to feed since we have an unknown mix of other fish in the pond with the fry that it makes calculating how much to feed a problem.

We're going to start adding manure to the pond today to encourage algae growth. We'll probably add a couple of buckets a day and broadcast it all over the surface of the pond and see what happens. If a pond is adequately fertilized how long does it take for the algae to appear?

Chownah

Edited by chownah

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks frikkiedeboer. That's what it looks like. As soon as the fish seller comes around I will buy a bag or two of pla nin and see if they grow in the pond. We have a pickup truck that comes around and sells bags of different kinds of fish. The pla nin are usually 5 or 6 CM long. This pond is less than a kilometer away from our house so maybe the fish thieves will stay away. I have taken out most of the brush and small trees around the pond so it can now easily be seen from the road.

Get some barb-wire to put in your pond, the thieves dont scare easy, but the care about there nets....

just like to add my formula that i got from a friend of mine in fisheries. it had worked for me in my tilapia ponds as i am getting 3-4/kg by week 20. please feel free to comment as i still consider myself an amateur in this field. anyone happen to be in philippines (yes, not thailand) you are welcome to contact me at [email protected]. kind regards

Preparation of pond – 1st week,

Chicken manure…150 m^2 pond size requires around 20 (25 kgs) bags of good manure

This is good for 2-3 weeks…add manure should the need requires

Week 4

Fry mash – 16k fingerlings will require ¼ bag daily (morning 1/8 & evening 1/8)

Week 5

Mix with starter. ¼ bag of frymash + 3-5 kgs starter. Apply lime 4 bags. Apply fertilizer 16-20-0 two days later (1-2 bags). Increase water 2-5 inches. Mark all water level not to let it be down after that certain level.

Week 7

Increase starter feeds to 6-8 kgs; option to mix with fry mash if fingerlings still small. No more fry mash when week 9 starts

Week 9

Starter feeds increased to 9-10 kgs. No more fry mash. Increase water 2-4 inches.

Weeks 11

Starter feeds reduced to 6-7 kgs mix with juvenile 7-8 kgs. Apply lime 4 bags. Apply fertilizer 16-20-0 two days later

Week 12

Juvenile 14-15 kgs and optional starter feeds 3-4 kgs. Sampling should be 9-10 pieces per kg (90 days). If sampling weight not achieved, the following required (1) increase starter to 6 kgs and juvenile 17kgs, (2) increase water level another 2-4 inches, (3) partial flush, using robin or tractor pump with piping at bottom of pond bed (4) clean sludge forming at water surface. (5) Chemical for growth may be needed.

Week 14

Juvenile at 16-18 kgs, no more starter feeds. Increase water another 2-4 inches. Sampling rate 6-8 pieces per kg.

Week 15

Apply growth chemical or fertilizer 16-20-0 again if necessary. Check water level.

Week 16

Mix Juvenile 10-12 kgs + Finisher 8-10 kgs. Apply lime 4 bags. Check water level. Increase water if needed to 2 inches. Partial flush if necessary. Can remove juvenile if the fish size (mouth) is proportionate and can eat adult size. If so, increase finisher to 13-15 kgs and juvenile at 6-8 kgs.

Week 18

Finisher only 22-26 kgs. Sampling until 4-6 pieces per kg.

Week 19

Preparation for harvest. Ideal size is 3-4 pieces per kg. Don't rush into harvesting. Get the ideal size if possible.

just like to add my formula that i got from a friend of mine in fisheries. it had worked for me in my tilapia ponds as i am getting 3-4/kg by week 20. please feel free to comment as i still consider myself an amateur in this field. anyone happen to be in philippines (yes, not thailand) you are welcome to contact me at [email protected]. kind regards

Chicken manure…150 m^2 pond size requires around 20 (25 kgs) bags of good manure

Week 4

Week 5

Mix with starter. ¼ bag of frymash + 3-5 kgs starter. Apply lime 4 bags. Apply fertilizer 16-20-0 two days later (1-2 bags). Increase water 2-5 inches. Mark all water level not to let it be down after that certain level.

Week 7

Increase starter feeds to 6-8 kgs; option to mix with fry mash if fingerlings still small. No more fry mash when week 9 starts

Week 9

Starter feeds increased to 9-10 kgs. No more fry mash. Increase water 2-4 inches.

Weeks 11

Starter feeds reduced to 6-7 kgs mix with juvenile 7-8 kgs. Apply lime 4 bags. Apply fertilizer 16-20-0 two days later

Week 12

Juvenile 14-15 kgs and optional starter feeds 3-4 kgs. Sampling should be 9-10 pieces per kg (90 days). If sampling weight not achieved, the following required (1) increase starter to 6 kgs and juvenile 17kgs, (2) increase water level another 2-4 inches, (3) partial flush, using robin or tractor pump with piping at bottom of pond bed (4) clean sludge forming at water surface. (5) Chemical for growth may be needed.

Week 14

Juvenile at 16-18 kgs, no more starter feeds. Increase water another 2-4 inches. Sampling rate 6-8 pieces per kg.

Week 15

Apply growth chemical or fertilizer 16-20-0 again if necessary. Check water level.

Week 16

Mix Juvenile 10-12 kgs + Finisher 8-10 kgs. Apply lime 4 bags. Check water level. Increase water if needed to 2 inches. Partial flush if necessary. Can remove juvenile if the fish size (mouth) is proportionate and can eat adult size. If so, increase finisher to 13-15 kgs and juvenile at 6-8 kgs.

Week 18

Week 19

Preparation for harvest. Ideal size is 3-4 pieces per kg. Don't rush into harvesting. Get the ideal size if possible.

sextudor1,just confirm for me please, you are putting 16,000 fingerlings in a 150 sq metre pond.?

Week 4

Week 5

Week 7

Week 9

Weeks 11

Week 12

Week 14

Week 15

Week 16

Week 18

Week 19

sextudor1,just confirm for me please, you are putting 16,000 fingerlings in a 150 sq metre pond.?

i believe it is 150m^2 or slightly bigger ( i need to check again)...... is that overstocking? because so far it is given me the market size i want!

Edited by sextudor1

Update and questions:

I went with my wife to watch the feeding of our pla duk. The water was fairly cloudy because two days previously she did some work in the pond while installing the net fence and in the process churned up some mud. Is this bad for the pla duk or other types of fish that might be there? Anyway the small pla duk came up and ate so it was nice to see that they have survived so far. There seems to be two kinds since some are very dark and some seem to be redish...any thoughts on the difference in coloration? My wife thinks we have some wild pla duk too since she says she has seen them before but we didn't see any during this feeding..maybe because of the cloudiness of the water.

I'm wondering about the best way to distribute the feed in the pond. I have heard that if you feed in one place only then the stronger fish will over eat and the weaker fish will get less and become even weaker perhaps and at any rate not grow very fast. Our pond is about 50 metres long and 3 metres wide (long and narrow) so my advise to the wife was to start out by walking the length of the pond throwing out feed continuously as she goes....that way the fish won't have to bunch up and perhaps not have to fight for the food thus giving the weaker fish better access to the food. Is this a good way to do it?...or what advise does anyone have? Distributing the feed all along the length of the pond might make it harder to determine when the fish have had enough since there probably is not such a pronounced feeding frenzy as when the food is concentrated in one spot. We are using the fish's interest in food as a way to guage how much to feed since we have an unknown mix of other fish in the pond with the fry that it makes calculating how much to feed a problem.

We're going to start adding manure to the pond today to encourage algae growth. We'll probably add a couple of buckets a day and broadcast it all over the surface of the pond and see what happens. If a pond is adequately fertilized how long does it take for the algae to appear?

Chownah

chownah, the feeding frenzy thing is exactly what catfish farmers take advantage of to get their fish to consume enough for rapid growth. do not make the mistake of following well-meant but uneducated local advice from the neighbourhood "experts" catfish are capable of eating 5% of their bodyweight per day with a corresponding increase in bodyweight of 5% per day.(depending on the quality of the feed). feed your fish as much as they will consume in a few minutes. the fish you bought will have vastly differing growth-rates and this will not be as a result of feeding in one place only, rather it is a result of unethical practices by (most)thai hatcheries. the "weaker " or slower growing fish have no chance of growing out at a profitable rate, and should have been culled out before they even reached you. these are the time and feed wasters that can kill yoiur business. a few buckets of chicken manure is not going to do it for you. there are a few recent posts you can follow for advice on quantities. the zooplankton will appear in a matter of days, if you do it correctly. do not expect to make a profit if you feed pellets to unsorted (or sorted and mixed) fish in an earth pond. have some fun, but dont expect too much. there is more to fishfarming (or any other kind of farming, as i am sure you will know) than meets the eye. follow tilapia's advice and stock those tilapia, and skimp on the pellets for now, or pm him for advice about suppliers of high quality, cheaper pellets if you want to get it to work.

regards,

frikkie

Week 4

Week 5

Week 7

Week 9

Weeks 11

Week 12

Week 14

Week 15

Week 16

Week 18

Week 19

i believe it is 150m^2 or slightly bigger ( i need to check again)...... is that overstocking? because so far it is given me the market size i want!

Sorry for saying this, but I find it very hard to believe that you can stock 106 fish/m2 in an open pond, without additional areation..... :o have you ever checked your DO level in the ponds ??? I would imagine that it would be next to nothing, since you are using algae as you main feed-source.

If you had said 1.600 fish in 150m2 pond, that would have made sense, but 16.000 !!!!!! :D

Regards

Use Google and search-SRAC fish farming.Using information from SRAG I filled 2 large volumes with information about raising Talapia and, or Catfish. Has pond,cage,intense cultures. Feed,as well as instructions on making it.Techniques on counting fingerlings.Hatcheries.Construction techniques.Stocking ratios.Fighting diseases.Water movement and aeration.Using fertilizer.Tranportation.Cultivation.Breeding.

A vast amount of scientific information,written in plain English,for free. Enjoy and good luck.

Use Google and search-SRAC fish farming.Using information from SRAG I filled 2 large volumes with information about raising Talapia and, or Catfish. Has pond,cage,intense cultures. Feed,as well as instructions on making it.Techniques on counting fingerlings.Hatcheries.Construction techniques.Stocking ratios.Fighting diseases.Water movement and aeration.Using fertilizer.Tranportation.Cultivation.Breeding.

A vast amount of scientific information,written in plain English,for free. Enjoy and good luck.

but do take note, that almost anything you learn about catfish from an american website, refers to the american version-the channel catfish ,- an entirely different animal, and NONE of this information is relevant. make sure that any information relates to CLARIAS catfish- this is what is farmed in thailand.

but do take note, that almost anything you learn about catfish from an american website, refers to the american version-the channel catfish ,- an entirely different animal, and NONE of this information is relevant. make sure that any information relates to CLARIAS catfish- this is what is farmed in thailand.

Hi Frikkie

I had those files for a long time, there is some good "guide-lines" for recirculation systems with Tilapia, but the info about catfish is useless, for us in Thailand.

Cheers

Much of the info is dedicated to Tilapia.Info not only from southern USA.,but also from Africa,Israel,as well as Thailand.

There are many links available.

SRAC is a great source of information for fish farming as is msucares and there is content applicable even though they refer to Channels as opposed to Clarias..

rgds

SRAC is a great source of information for fish farming as is msucares and there is content applicable even though they refer to Channels as opposed to Clarias..

rgds

yes, i agree, plenty of useful information, but very little that can be applied to the culture of clarias catfish

here is some of the information you can't use:

anything regarding:

nutritional requirements (protein requirement and D.E.) and feeding

oxygen requirement

growth rate

feed conversion ratio

water quality requirements

stocking densities

harvesting

transportation

breeding and hatchery requirements and practise

rearing of fry

diseases and treatment

somtham, i racked my brain trying to think of anything i have ever read on channel catfish that could be applied to clarias catfish culture, and came up with nothing, with the possible exception of pond preparation, information regarding channel cats will not get you there.the two species have almost nothing in common, and i posted to avoid confusion

it is best to study up on sites dedicated to the culture of clarid species (there are many excellent sources of reference) and get an understanding of the fish itself, in order to have a chance of success at culturing them.

regards

frikkie

yes, i agree, plenty of useful information, but very little that can be applied to the culture of clarias catfish

here is some of the information you can't use:

anything regarding:

nutritional requirements (protein requirement and D.E.) and feeding

oxygen requirement

growth rate

feed conversion ratio

water quality requirements

stocking densities

harvesting

transportation

breeding and hatchery requirements and practise

rearing of fry

diseases and treatment

somtham, i racked my brain trying to think of anything i have ever read on channel catfish that could be applied to clarias catfish culture, and came up with nothing, with the possible exception of pond preparation, information regarding channel cats will not get you there.the two species have almost nothing in common, and i posted to avoid confusion

it is best to study up on sites dedicated to the culture of clarid species (there are many excellent sources of reference) and get an understanding of the fish itself, in order to have a chance of success at culturing them.

regards

frikkie

Frikkie - I'm not saying that you should apply Channel info to Clarias. I am saying that SRAC is a good source of info for fish farming. Here's a samle of some of their publications:

SRAC 460-471; 4600-4699 -- Water Quality

SRAC 460 Control of Clay Turbidity in Ponds

SRAC 461 Water Quantity and Quality Requirements

for Channel Catfish Hatcheries

SRAC 462 Nitrite in Fish Ponds

SRAC 463 Ammonia in Fish Ponds

SRAC 464 Interactions of pH, Carbon Dioxide, Alkalinity

and Hardness in Fish Ponds

SRAC 466 Algae Blooms in Commercial Fish Production Ponds

SRAC 467 Cost of Alternative Effluent Treatments for Catfish Production

SRAC 468 Carbon Dioxide in Fish Ponds

SRAC 469 Fertilization of Fish Fry Ponds

SRAC 470 Characterization and Management of Effluents from Aquaculture Ponds in the Southeastern United States

SRAC 471 Fertilization of Fish Ponds

SRAC 4600 Toxicities of Agricultural Pesticides to Selected Aquatic Organisms

SRAC 4601 Measuring Dissolved Oxygen Concentration in Aquaculture

SRAC 4602 Pond Mixing

SRAC 4603 Managing Ammonia in Fish Ponds

SRAC 450-459; 4500-4599 -- Recirculating Systems

SRAC 454 Recirculating Aquaculture Tank Production Systems: Integrating Fish and Plant Culture

SRAC 451 Recirculating Aquaculture Tank Production Systems:

An Overview of Critical Considerations

SRAC 452 Recirculating Aquaculture Tank Production Systems:

Management of Recirculating Systems

SRAC 453 Recirculating Aquaculture Tank Production Systems:

Component Options

SRAC 455 Pond Recirculating Production Systems

SRAC 4500 Partitioned Aquaculture Systems

SRAC 456 The Economics of Recirculating Tank Systems:

A Spreadsheet for Individual Analysis

SRAC 4501 Constructing a Simple and Inexpensive Recirculating Aquaculture System (RAS) for Classroom Use

SRAC 370-379; 3700-3799 -- Aeration

SRAC 372 Selecting the Proper Pump

SRAC 373 Piping Systems

SRAC 374 Open Channel Flow in Aquaculture

SRAC 375 Powering Aquaculture Equipment

SRAC 3700 Pond Aeration

and the list goes on. Here's the link for the SRAC publcations: http://srac.tamu.edu/fulllist.cfm

rgds

Week 4

Week 5

Week 7

Week 9

Weeks 11

Week 12

Week 14

Week 15

Week 16

Week 18

Week 19

Sorry for saying this, but I find it very hard to believe that you can stock 106 fish/m2 in an open pond, without additional areation..... :o have you ever checked your DO level in the ponds ??? I would imagine that it would be next to nothing, since you are using algae as you main feed-source.

If you had said 1.600 fish in 150m2 pond, that would have made sense, but 16.000 !!!!!! :D

Regards

thanks.... just came back phils and measured the pond size.... its 12m x 8m so its 960m2.... sorry my bad... :D .. appreciate the help as really thinking of going big scale here....

thanks.... just came back phils and measured the pond size.... its 12m x 8m so its 960m2.... sorry my bad... :o .. appreciate the help as really thinking of going big scale here....

12x8=96m2 sorry, but you are going to need plenty more ponds or some tanks if you are going to go "big scale" why not try to raise the recommended stocking density for your size pond, follow the information available on the internet and on this forum (to the letter-nothing else works, and definitely no "village expert's" advice), and see if it works for you, before investing time and money?

good luck

frikkie

Oh, you said 12m x 8m = 96m2......... Not 960m2 !! are you sure that you know what you are doing ???? a stocking density at 166 fish/m2 in an open pond !!! That is the same that I do in reciculations tanks.... Better go and check your pond again....

Oh, you said 12m x 8m = 96m2......... Not 960m2 !! are you sure that you know what you are doing ???? a stocking density at 166 fish/m2 in an open pond !!! That is the same that I do in reciculations tanks.... Better go and check your pond again....

Maybe we are trying to grow fish in the wrong country mate, he,s only stocking at 16,500 % above norm. :o

Maybe we are trying to grow fish in the wrong country mate, he,s only stocking at 16,500 % above norm. :D

Yeah, I guess that we are the fools............ :o

Maybe we are trying to grow fish in the wrong country mate, he,s only stocking at 16,500 % above norm. :D

Yeah, I guess that we are the fools............ :o

one of the many tools you need to culture fish is a basic understanding of arithmetic. perhaps on the stocking density calculation the same mistake with the extra zeroes crept in as what happened with his pond-size calculation? (length x breadth=area, then add a zero, and bingo!) an extra zero crept in there, but why so many zeroes on the stocking density? if he was using a calculator, i want to buy one like that! just imagine what my bank balance would look like by now.....(actually , last time i looked , it was : THB 0000,00 so i guess i must be rich!- be glad to share some of that with a bargirl or two!)

Edited by frikkiedeboer

You will never learn Frikkie :o .....Take a good look at your signature, and remember it :D .....

Save your gold and have a cold one with me, when you get back :D

sorry, tilapia. - just couldn't wait,so i started without you (hic). i am willing to bet it wont just be a cold ONE! i dont normally drink much, but when i do, i turn into someone else, and you should see how HE drinks!

regards (hic)

frikkie

You will never learn Frikkie :o .....Take a good look at your signature, and remember it :D .....

Save your gold and have a cold one with me, when you get back :D

sorry, tilapia. - just couldn't wait,so i started without you (hic). i am willing to bet it wont just be a cold ONE! i dont normally drink much, but when i do, i turn into someone else, and you should see how HE drinks!

regards (hic)

frikkie

That goes for both of us then.....What a team that will be :D

Cheers

i dont normally drink much, but when i do, i turn into someone else, and you should see how HE drinks!...(hic)

THREE!!!...Mine lasted two days...(vormit) :o ...Sh_T !...I think i need a new keyboard...

Edited by RedBullHorn

i dont normally drink much, but when i do, i turn into someone else, and you should see how HE drinks!...(hic)

THREE!!!...Mine lasted two days...(vormit) :o ...Sh_T !...I think i need a new keyboard...

Hi RBH

Welcome to the exclusive club of IDFF :D (Intensive Drinking Fish-Farmers)

Regards

THREE!!!...Mine lasted two days...(vormit) :D ...Sh_T !...I think i need a new keyboard...

Hi RBH

Welcome to the exclusive club of IDFF :D (Intensive Drinking Fish-Farmers)

Regards

Yeah!!! :o ...to joint, members must graduate with a PHD :D (Professional Heavy Drinker)

Cheers