Derailleurs, problem/replacement/idea?

h90

Went again with the bicycle to Nakhon Si Thammerat airport by NOK air.

Now the back Derailleur Cage wasn't straight anymore. I bent it back and it didn't brake and it is again 95% OK.

Now I thought I buy Ultegra (or Dura Ace) chain and Ultegra Derailleur (not expensive).

Than I keep the old (Shimano 105)+chain in Bangkok and the other in the south. Travel without and just mount it new.

In my understanding I don't need to open the chain for it. Later on I anyway want to buy a different frame and keep one bike in Bangkok, than I have already a Derailleur on hand.

Does that seem like a good idea or something wrong with it? (specially my thinking that I don't need to open the chain).

If stupid please tell me before I waste my moneytongue.png

it really depends on wear to your cassette, chains and cassettes wear in together, and there can be problems if you dont change them all together.

you can keep your chain intact while changing rear mech, however, you will need to dissasemble the cage.

your best solution in my opinion, would just be to unthread the rear mech while you trave and zip tie or tape it out of hrms way. then just thread it back in after. you shouldnt even need to re tune it (or not much) once you thread it back in

Edited by HooHaa

it really depends on wear to your casette, chains and cassetes wear in together, and there can be problems if you dont change them all together.

Yes, this is true, but I think what he is saying is that the only thing that would change is the rear derailleur/chain.

BTW h90, you will have to open the chain, otherwise you won't be able to remove it from the front derailleur.

it really depends on wear to your casette, chains and cassetes wear in together, and there can be problems if you dont change them all together.

Yes, this is true, but I think what he is saying is that the only thing that would change is the rear derailleur/chain.

BTW h90, you will have to open the chain, otherwise you won't be able to remove it from the front derailleur.

I just wanted to write I can open the cage of the front derailleur....but having a look at least the Shimano 105 can't be opened sad.png

Thanks for point that out!

The cage was bent or the hanger? Normally the hanger will give before the derailleur itself bends, and its a cheap replaceable part.

difficult to tell what was bent. When you looked at the chain you could see that it is in an angle inwards, but what is actually bent is difficult.

I just pulled it outwards and hoped it will undo the damage.....I didn't do it fully as I worried to do more damage.

it really depends on wear to your cassette, chains and cassettes wear in together, and there can be problems if you dont change them all together.

you can keep your chain intact while changing rear mech, however, you will need to dissasemble the cage.

your best solution in my opinion, would just be to unthread the rear mech while you trave and zip tie or tape it out of hrms way. then just thread it back in after. you shouldnt even need to re tune it (or not much) once you thread it back in

should be almost no wear yet, just the chain is dirty, as I am a pig and don't clean it facepalm.gifBut I'll do that now.

But your idea is excellent unthread it and tie it to the frame somehow....Why I didn't get that idea myself?clap2.gif

The cage was bent or the hanger? Normally the hanger will give before the derailleur itself bends, and its a cheap replaceable part.

difficult to tell what was bent. When you looked at the chain you could see that it is in an angle inwards, but what is actually bent is difficult.

I just pulled it outwards and hoped it will undo the damage.....I didn't do it fully as I worried to do more damage.

Probably the hanger, looks something like this

7da98393af7bb8d4df1a5a146857f6a0.jpg

Nice and cheap and will get your shifting back to 100% again

Thanks!

I get a bit of a chr chr chr....sound like the front Deralleur is touching the chain a bit, but can't see it (and I am to worn out for a third check, 70 km over lunch time in the full sun and not fully fit).

Might come from the back side.

I guess the usuals chainreactionbike, wiggles, etc have that.....(so I have no excuse to buy that Ultegra...which is a real beauty, lol)

And get a good travel case!

It is so comfortable with NOK air, you come with the bike...depressure the tyres and give them the bike. No packing, no thinking, no hassle.

Last time I checked the travel cases were very expensive. Will have to recheck. Actually I don't need the wheels and pedals (have a second set), but the tribar will be a problem. Mounting and dismounting many time will brake the screws I guess.

It is so comfortable with NOK air, you come with the bike...depressure the tyres and give them the bike. No packing, no thinking, no hassle.

Last time I checked the travel cases were very expensive. Will have to recheck. Actually I don't need the wheels and pedals (have a second set), but the tribar will be a problem. Mounting and dismounting many time will brake the screws I guess.

Sounds like it would actually be cheaper for you to have a 2nd bike, then you don't need to travel with it. A decent travel case (EVOC) is around 20k THB, almost as much as your madone....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like it would actually be cheaper for you to have a 2nd bike, then you don't need to travel with it. A decent travel case (EVOC) is around 20k THB, almost as much as your madone....

yes I also think better use the money to a new frame. I have already a second wheelset and than make a nice bike out of it. But at the end also expensive. As well I would like to buy a MTB......So if you read about a Farang on bicycle rob a bank, it was me.....

I think very wrong, after thinking about it, much safer to by a ultegra and as it might be the frame which is bent by a nice expensive carbon frame. And as it is surely all difficult by as backup for the downtime a MTBtongue.png.

Somehow I must find an excuse to justify childish purchases of new toys gigglem.gif

I think very wrong, after thinking about it, much safer to by a ultegra and as it might be the frame which is bent by a nice expensive carbon frame. And as it is surely all difficult by as backup for the downtime a MTBtongue.png.

Somehow I must find an excuse to justify childish purchases of new toys gigglem.gif

I've got a nice MTB I can sell you ;-)

Really? I am 1.70 with relative long legs (but not freakish long).. Looking for an Aluminum (maybe steel) frame (as I worry for damage on carbon) with hard tail.

Currently I we build house so it should be cheap. I wanted to wait a few month but I am interested. Road bike is 54 frame. Broken shock absorber wouldn't be a problem (we produce the seals for such, so I can repair them).

A few days ago I saw a friend has a Bianchi that looks fine, he told it was just 18.000 THB, cheaper than in Italy (he is Italian). That surprised me.

Mine is a Commencal Meta AM, aluminum hard tail. It's cheap for what it is, I paid 50k including the upgrades I made (new chainset, rear derailleur, shifters and brakes) and selling for around 30k. Frame is size L, you can check their website for whether it is a good fit, I have an inseam of 91cm, and it's a bit too small for me, even with the seat post at the maximum length. Inseam is the more important measurement, than total height, like you I have long legs for my height.

Edit: Found the sizing, based on height might be too big, but depends on your inseam

c82c9506168eb667cf899d0ee3b9bb73.jpg

Edited by moonoi

Slightly off topic, but if you're interested in that, have you considered investment property in Glasgow...

Mine is a Commencal Meta AM, aluminum hard tail. It's cheap for what it is, I paid 50k including the upgrades I made (new chainset, rear derailleur, shifters and brakes) and selling for around 30k. Frame is size L, you can check their website for whether it is a good fit, I have an inseam of 91cm, and it's a bit too small for me, even with the seat post at the maximum length. Inseam is the more important measurement, than total height, like you I have long legs for my height.

Edit: Found the sizing, based on height might be too big, but depends on your inseam

I forgot my inseam measurement, but recall that it was on the upper limit of for my size....but still it will be too large for me I guess.

Slightly off topic, but if you're interested in that, have you considered investment property in Glasgow...

Sure! After I received the money from Nigeria they sent me last week.biggrin.png

I forgot my inseam measurement, but recall that it was on the upper limit of for my size....but still it will be too large for me I guess.

81.5 cm or above and it will be fine ;)

I want some of that Nigerian money as well :-p

just an update: I just bought a back ultegra derailleur and a dura ace chain. Including shipping 119 USD.

I think that is cheap.....Could have got it for 118 USD (product cheaper, shipping expensive, but it said post shipping trackable and I worried that it might be EMS (import tax)).

• 2 weeks later...

update: it turned out that it wasn't the derailleur...that part where it is screwed on the frame was bent.

Went to small shop.....Very surprised the staff were biker themself, bent it the right way. Adjusted it new: 100 Baht

Asked them for MTB I want to buy later, they told sorry they are specialized only on road bikes racing bikes.....

100 Baht is very nice!!