Mail Being Opened?

petecooper

Hi all

I've seen plenty of posts on here discussing the ups and downs of the local postal service, but I can't find any info on my currenty situation, wonder if any of you have experienced this before.

It seems that a number of items of our mail have been opened before they're getting delivered. This isn't interesting large parcels or anything, just simple letters/bills from home, etc. And they're arriving in our letterbox already opened. They've usually, but not always, been sealed up again.

Has anyone experienced this before, is it some kind of normal practice for overseas post or do you think something strange is going on? I am also suspecting a couple of things have gone missing lately too, and of course wonder if the two are related.

We live in central BKK by the way, if that makes any difference.

THanks for your advice

Cheers

Pete

I've had plenty of outgoing and incoming parcels (including padded and 'thick' with documents envelopes) opened, haven't lost anything yet as far as I recall. I'd assume it's just customs officials doing their job. I wouldn't call it "normal" though, more like one in a eighty items maybe for us.

:o

It used to happen to me quite a lot about four or five years ago, even bank statements being opened then sellotaped shut with a Banglamung Post Office stamp. Now it never happens except on small packages.

Nothing to worry about. If you are getting your mail that is a good thing! :o

I've been working in the Postal arena for 5 years now. Mostly on the military side, but in going through 3rd world countries. It's a common practice in most 3rd world countries. There's little oversight and hardly any jurisdiction. Once the mail leaves USPS hands, in my case, and enters into the other countries, there isn't any "real" security of the mail.

When I've sent packages to my ex-sister-in-law in Romania, we had to make sure that her husband went with her to the Post Office to get the package. The clerks there liked to rifle the package right in front of her and take what they wanted. He literally had to threaten the clerk to get all we sent. I recently sent 2 packages home to Thailand, one contained only books, the other had a few moderately valuable collectables. the package with the books made it safely, the other package simply disappeared. All I can say is be thankful that nothing's missing. I try to send all my stuff APO to APO now, or by using Fed/Ex or DHL. There's at least some protection there.

Good Luck!

:D Have sent postcards to Australia which have been opened at that end as some of the cards contained collages on the front with bits of stuff, guess quarantine are cautious of such things like fabric and some plant stalks which are often used as decoration on some thai post cards...in 6 years in Chiengmai, Hua Hin and Bangkok none of my post has been opened, although two credit cards never made it, so had them sent with FedEx to my door and no problemo...Dukkha :o

I live in a village and the Postie is pretty good and reliable, always get my mail and if I got mail to post and I am not going to town he will take it and post it for me.

The only time I never got mail and that was regular was in Pattaya!!!!!! say no more.

macb

I live in a small village and used to have that problem. The letter carrier used to drop all of my mail into a large basket at the very small store in the village instead of going to the trouble of leaving my mail in my well-marked letterbox. Everyone in the village had the opportunity to sort through all the mail and quite often I would find my mail opened.

I stopped all of this by opening a Post Office box and that was the end of most problems.

Jim