opening closing a chain difficult?

h90

Is it difficult to open/close a Shimano dura ace or ultegra chain?

In my understanding just the pin between two links is pressed out/pressed in. That seems very simply, but as they sell these links, I may miss some information?

Possible to do that regularly without too much problems?

Maybe this would help

I find Youtube invaluable in my biking maintanance

Thanks...yes but many things on youtube look easy.....put in new spokes and center the rim in 5 min. If you try that the first time in real life it won't be easy so I look for real life experience. And I have to admit while I am a good theoretic technician I don't have the artist like feeling for sensitive parts sad.png .

I worry easy on youtube but I fail or end with half done things.....

(on the the other hand I like to to be independend from shops, and adjusting the back derailleurs better than the shop was super simple)

You just need a chain tool, something like this, very easy.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-5-to-11-spd-and-singlespeed-chain-tool/

yes what I thought....is it really easy? Have you done it yourself?

Yes, and if I can do it, anyone can! The hard bit is installing a new chain and making sure the length is correct (not too long, not too short).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by moonoi

I think that you didn't make clear your biggest concern.... if I get the impression from the other thread.

I imagine typically a chain will be split or removed once or twice or so in its lifetime.

As I understand, you were considering splitting your chain many times, when transporting your bike from one place to another. So the big concern is how is the performance of the chain affected if you open it frequently....

Are there any special precautions to take?

SC

I think that you didn't make clear your biggest concern.... if I get the impression from the other thread.

I imagine typically a chain will be split or removed once or twice or so in its lifetime.

As I understand, you were considering splitting your chain many times, when transporting your bike from one place to another. So the big concern is how is the performance of the chain affected if you open it frequently....

Are there any special precautions to take?

SC

Somehow a concern. But I thought if working proper it shouldn't be a problem, or?

I thought that per random it will get a different link every time. And worst thing would be to replace the chain a bit earlier. Chainreactionbikes had them somewhere at the 23-28 Pound, so not really a big thing.

(Of course unless I miss something that I don't know)

Invest in a couple of KMC chain connectors. Super simple and available for particular makes and speeds from Chain Reaction or Wiggle. I should imagine they should be easy enough to get in Thailand given the rise of interest in cycling. Google - KMC link

Invest in a couple of KMC chain connectors. Super simple and available for particular makes and speeds from Chain Reaction or Wiggle. I should imagine they should be easy enough to get in Thailand given the rise of interest in cycling. Google - KMC link

Good advice.

I always carry a small chain tool as well, if you inadvertently break the chain, you'll probably need to take out the bent link before re attaching or using a KMC link. I use it on the trail/road a few times per year; usually on other peoples' bikes! The most difficult part is aligning the xxxxing link without my reading glasses.....

Had some (brand new) KMC connectors I was not able to close, for some others I needed an angle grinder to open ...

I recommend SRAM master links. Never failed.