No original degree right now

Hey,

I have a degree, I am a NES, and I also have 3 years of experience as a teacher.

However, my original degree is in the United States right now, and to get a replacement takes a long time and costs a bit.

I have a scan, though.

So, can I still get work while I wait for my replacement degree? I also don't have a TEFL.

I want to work in a few months. Where are the best places online to find jobs? And can I get a work permit.. non-b visa with my scanned degree?

When submitting all that kit, its always been photocopies as I recall. Certainly never sent my diploma off to TCT.

Why don't you simply do the same as in past that has net you three yrs experience?

You don't sound prepared, especially with said experience. Come to this board to ask such a simple question. Almost trollish.

I think the scanned diploma might fly. You'll need transcripts scanned may be OK. You also may need original letter from uni validating your diploma.

PS

Ajarn is a pretty hack site. I check it often, there's rarely any decent jobs. In fact, I think the agencies posting there more to be wary of than to interview with. If nothing else, surely the pay is crap.

Many of the agencies I know to be dodgy.

Teachers posting up cv there, yeah hey pretty much not much game - but they stay up for months.

Wait till March sure.

PS

Ajarn is a pretty hack site. I check it often, there's rarely any decent jobs. In fact, I think the agencies posting there more to be wary of than to interview with. If nothing else, surely the pay is crap.

Many of the agencies I know to be dodgy.

Teachers posting up cv there, yeah hey pretty much not much game - but they stay up for months.

Wait till March sure.

Don't apply to any agencies just directly to schools. I applied to 4 or 5 and was offered interviews for all of them. But I can't see any decent places taking you if you aren't committed for a year.

If you do not have your original degree, you should be able to get by without it provided you have an official copy of your transcript and probably a confirmation of your degree from the school.

The transcript shows what type of degree you have.

There is a National Clearinghouse, which can verify the degree. There is a small charge and I don't know if an individual can use it, but schools can. I use it to verify degrees for teachers who have a degree from the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, my degree is from a US university. I am in the process now of getting a replacement, but it will take time. I can unofficial transcripts online for free, and i can order official transcripts from my university for about $15.

So is $15.usd really a lot to you?

Just use the scanned copy, print it out on thick diploma type of paper and call it an original. It's not as if you are trying to defraud anyone, it's you and your degree. End of story. The TCT doesn't have qualified people making decisions as to the authenticity of said degrees and/or transcripts. It's all a matter of what mood they are in, you know...what they had for lunch, are they hungry? things like that. The entire thing is still a joke on those who are actually qualified to be teachers. The rest, well you get what you pay for which is the riff raff of the western English speaking countries and the cream of the crop from the Philippines who are willing to come here for the money, big money, like 25,000.Baht a month money which is triple what they can earn teaching in the Philippines. Schools are going more with Filipino's once again. Okay, where was I? Just print out your scanned copy on nice thick paper, use the type diploma's are normally printed on. If there are colors, go ahead, spend the extra 20 Baht and get a color copy, in fact get three or four at the same time so you can give one to the TCT and one to the schools you actually want to teach at. Good luck.

BTW, the VISA and Work Permit folks rely on the TCT to check out the credentials. There is no requirement to submit your degree etc. to them. The waiver letter from the TCT is the key document along with a letter from the hiring school and a copy of the contract, proof it is a school, photos, I forget what else. But don't worry about the VISA and Labor Department checking out your degree. Their are too busy and it isn't required of them.

Boy are some of you in for a surprise.

We have to either have the transcript sent directly from the school to the local MOE or it has to be in a sealed envelope with the official stamp of the school.

Last week, we had two teachers who were requested to appear personally along with their documents at the local MOE office for an interview and a review of their paperwork. Neither are new teachers and there was no good reason to question them.

Archived