Bus crash kills two, injures 50 in Ang Thong

webfact

Bus crash kills two, injures 50 in Ang Thong

12289605_1138424762834719_24281681114911

ANG THONG: -- Two passengers died, and 50 others were injured when an interprovincial bus from Chiang Mai skidded off the Asian Highway and overturned in Ang Thong province this morning.

The incident happened near Kilometre markers 63-64 on the Asian Highway in Chaiyo district.

The bus was carrying both Thai and foreign passengers back to Bangkok from Chiang Mai.

As the bus arrived in Chaiyo district early in the morning, it skidded as it was making a curve and flipped over.

Two passengers were killed, and 50 others who included the driver and both Thais and foreigners, were trapped inside the bus.

Rescue workers were alerted and rushed to rescue the trapped passengers out of the bus.

Among the injured foreigners are identified as Mr Hansen Ivan, 21, Ms Michelle, and Mr Bengmu, Ms Steiner, and Ms Ivancarl.

According to Chaiyo district police, drowsy driving might be the cause of the accident.

The driver was detained for further questioning, and initially charged with reckless driving.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bus-crash-kills-two-injures-50-in-ang-thong

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-30

According to Chaiyo district police, drowsy driving might be the cause of the accident.The driver was detained for further questioning, and initially charged with reckless driving.

Shouldn't he have a drug and alcohol test to see if he was under the influence and as there were no other vehicles involved in the accident, he should be charged with reckless driving causing death!!

RIP to those that didn't survive the accident.

"According to Chaiyo district police, drowsy driving might be the cause of the accident."

How about driving without due care and attention resulting in manslaughter?

what for???.... the nasty nasty drowsy spirit has jinxed the driver,............ wai2.gifwai2.gif

Again, some innocent people have lost their lives just because of an idiot who's obviously not qualified to drive such a vehicle.

RIP and a speedy and full recovery for the injured ones.

Among the injured foreigners are identified as Mr Hansen Ivan, 21, Ms Michelle, and Mr Bengmu, Ms Steiner, and Ms Ivancarl

Is there any other information about their nationality? Mr. Hansen Ivan, could be Ivan Hansen, Ms Michelle must have a last name, Mr. Bengmu could be the guy's first name, Ms Steiner sounds German/Austrian and the Ms Ivancari could have a completely different name.

If anybody has some information, I'm volunteering for DHV, an organisation that helps Germans in emergency situations.

Should anybody read this and urgent help is needed, ( for example a special blood type, etc..), please feel free to page me.

I know how "good" some hospitals can be and too many victims of accidents die in the hospital, but they're usually not mentioned.

The only bus company I'd use is NCA = Nakhonchai Air. Two drivers and Mercedes buses. Another nightmare holiday in the Land of Smile? wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

I spent three years riding a bus between Chiang Mai and Korat every six weeks for business purposes. I seldom slept on those 12 hours night-time rides, but instead watched with amazement at some the the most suicidal driving I've ever experienced shy of Chiang Mai to Mae Sai border runs in minivans. I've come to the conclusion that all Thai drivers are unbalanced, but commercial drivers of buses and minivan are truly psychotics. I'm thinking that must be a hiring requirement.

I either fly or drive my own car nowadays. Neither the wife or I will get on a bus again. Trains? Again, I'd rather fly or drive myself.

Another day, another bus crash. More senseless, unnecessary deaths. Driver will probably just get a 500 baht fine and be driving a bus again next week. The criminal justice system here is so <deleted> up.

Until Thailand wakes up and puts Highway Patrol cars on the road to stop, ticket or arrest drivers in the act of moving violations, the carnage will continue.

In other countries as well as having a basic driving test that requires some degree of learning to pass. They also have separate training specific to the type of vehicle. Heavy Goods Vehicle, Public service vehicle, all separate skills that require unique skill set training.

Until people are taught the baseline skills required to control such vehicles the carnage will continue.

Same shit ,different day,Lost course even talking about it Nobody gives a shit ,Not even the Government .

You would think that one day someone might notice that there seem to be a lot of these types of accident I wonder why that is and look into it? Or at least set up a transport committee to look into it, the Government should care its mainly their people (Thais) who are the innocent victims.

I wonder if anyone knows how many bus crashes there are in every year?

Same shit ,different day,Lost course even talking about it Nobody gives a shit ,Not even the Government .

You would think that one day someone might notice that there seem to be a lot of these types of accident I wonder why that is and look into it? Or at least set up a transport committee to look into it, the Government should care its mainly their people (Thais) who are the innocent victims.

The last thing the govt cares about is the safety of poor That's who were in a bus....

Chinese tourists or the likes would be much worse imo

Simple answer is yes they do.

There has been much research done on the topic. How about this from ten years ago:

BUS CRASH SITUATION IN THAILAND: CASE STUDIES The paper describes the overall road crash situation in Thailand; it gives account of bus crash problem and its causes; and three case studies of fatal bus crashes. The authors recommended three remedial measures to deal with the problem. These measures address the issues of drivers’ competency, vehicle safety and management of roadside hazard.

http://www.easts.info/on-line/journal_06/3617.pdf

This makes interesting reading as well if you want to follow statistics - http://www.thaiwebsites.com/caraccidents.asp

For up to date stats you can also check out Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ThairoadsFoundation

Another day, another bus crash. More senseless, unnecessary deaths. Driver will probably just get a 500 baht fine and be driving a bus again next week. The criminal justice system here is so <deleted> up.

Until Thailand wakes up and puts Highway Patrol cars on the road to stop, ticket or arrest drivers in the act of moving violations, the carnage will continue.

There are a lot of Highway Patrol cars on the road. Last week came back from Rayong to Sisaket in the night.

I get stopped 8 times by these Cowboys..special on the HW 24...just want some money for speeding.(I never go over 90kmh)..!!!

They just stay there in the dark..and let all the Buses-vans-trucks...with 120 kmh passing.

I told that guy..jump in your patrolcar and go after these speeding idiots...he smiling and said..we never do that..too dangeres..!!

I agree with you wholeheartedly and because there is nothing done about this year after year after year, one could be forgiven for coming to the conclusion that actually, they don't care.

There doesn't even need to be any original thought put into things, just copy systems and processes from other countries that have been proven to work.

Cue expensive fact finding/shopping trips abroad.

Just imagine this hypothetical situation. Government employees from Country 'A' get to travel on all expenses paid 'fact finding' trips abroad. Said Government successfully implements what they have learned and things improve. Future 'fact finding' trips are no longer necessary. Where's the fun in that?

After all it is only poor people who travel on public transport and motorcycles.

Wouldn't it be grand. But Lack of Sanctions/LOS is a third world with third world mentality; it will remain that way FOREVER. Is there a fourth world?

It's easy to fall into the trap of listening to experts from the western world say how to improve the situation in Thailand.

Only we are discovering problems with the standard approaches to Road Safety and are challenging current standards.

People have been trying to impose the standard approach on Thailand for well over ten year (see links above) but non of these approaches account for the specific challenges in Thailand.

What is needed is a new approach working with the Thais not imposing others ideas onto them.

http://nosurprise.org.uk/

https://thairoadcraft.wordpress.com/

I agree with you wholeheartedly and because there is nothing done about this year after year after year, one could be forgiven for coming to the conclusion that actually, they don't care.

There doesn't even need to be any original thought put into things, just copy systems and processes from other countries that have been proven to work.

Cue expensive fact finding/shopping trips abroad.

Just imagine this hypothetical situation. Government employees from Country 'A' get to travel on all expenses paid 'fact finding' trips abroad. Said Government successfully implements what they have learned and things improve. Future 'fact finding' trips are no longer necessary. Where's the fun in that?

After all it is only poor people who travel on public transport and motorcycles.

I think your last sentence hits the nail on the head. HiSo's don't go anywhere by bus only ones that do are of no importance . Every time I see one of these high profile muti coloured buses I wonder if it will arrive at its destination. Shame on you Thailand.

On the main highway heading into Krabi Town there is a truck/bus inspection and weigh station.

I have driven past it many time at least two times per week, I have never seen a vehicle in there let alone being inspected.