Dog blood bank

My dog needs an operation to remove his spleen and I am trying to find somewhere which can supply a blood match for him. Unbelievably, Phuket does not seem to have any facility to do this (so far as I can find).

One doctor advised against the operation, anyhow, due to a low success rate, another has said it should be no problem as long as the bleeding can be controlled and there is sufficient for the operation.

Does anyone have any experience of this procedure or know of a place which can supply blood?

He is a 12 1/2 year old Cocker, by the way.

Your dog is 12 1/2, good age for a Cocker. You don't need your spleen. They're just trying to make money out of you.http://www.livescience.com/27896-pope-one-lung-organs-you-can-live-without.html It's hard but just try to make him comfortable. Don't put the poor thing through multiple ops/transfusions because you can't bear to see him go. Wouldn't do it to a human ..

Edited by dageurreotype

I know you can live without it and he is a pretty good age. The spleen is not his only problem, though, but if it isn't removed and one of the growths burst he is likely to die in quite a lot of pain, according to the vet.

It is impossible to judge when it could happen, tomorrow, next month, or much later. It is difficult trying to weigh up what is best for him, I just think the operation might be the best chance for him.

I know you can live without it and he is a pretty good age. The spleen is not his only problem, though, but if it isn't removed and one of the growths burst he is likely to die in quite a lot of pain, according to the vet.

It is impossible to judge when it could happen, tomorrow, next month, or much later. It is difficult trying to weigh up what is best for him, I just think the operation might be the best chance for him.

Then this 'vet' is being completely irresponsible, not to mention unprofessional and attempting to emotionally blackmail you. Should your dog show any signs of distress if and when this happens, any vet would be able to prescribe painkillers/operate to solve the problem. It 's a pity there's no name and shame here. Disgusting.

Actually, I think you have got the wrong end of the stick on this one.

I trust this vet and have been using him for many years.

I checked around three other vet places in town and just to the south of it. One said that the operation was very difficult and carried a low success rate. One said it would be no problem and all of them said they did not know where to get blood from.

It seems to be the case that the owner needs to do the leg work with getting the blood - to the point of asking neighbours or friends if they could help. A big problem is that the donor dog needs to be over 20Kg and not older than 7 years. I know a few dog owners I could ask, but their dogs don't fulfill those criteria.

I can't wait until his spleen bursts before getting him seen to, either, it is because it is his spleen that he will require so much blood in the first place. Everything has to be in place for the operation, you can't just do it with no spare blood available.

I believe there is a vet in Thalang who may deal with The Soi Dogs Foundation and this may be a possible source. I don't have the phone number, though, so will have to go up there to speak with them.

I checked around three other vet places in town and just to the south of it. One said that the operation was very difficult and carried a low success rate. One said it would be no problem and all of them said they did not know where to get blood from.

It seems to be the case that the owner needs to do the leg work with getting the blood - to the point of asking neighbours or friends if they could help. A big problem is that the donor dog needs to be over 20Kg and not older than 7 years. I know a few dog owners I could ask, but their dogs don't fulfill those criteria.

I can't wait until his spleen bursts before getting him seen to, either, it is because it is his spleen that he will require so much blood in the first place. Everything has to be in place for the operation, you can't just do it with no spare blood available.

I believe there is a vet in Thalang who may deal with The Soi Dogs Foundation and this may be a possible source. I don't have the phone number, though, so will have to go up there to speak with them.

i can understand you trusting your vet,WHY because i have been useing the same one for almost 4yrs.that WAS untill something went wrong with my boy.

incompetance,not recording his meds,and there's much more.so he had to go.but finding another who you can trust is proving very very difficult.

ours is only 5yrs.old,but one thing i did discuss with the vet was what if he had an injury or something that wasnt curable would he put him to sleep.

i did offer him a large sum of money and he agreed.myself i couldnt bare to think what you are going through,but at over 12 yrs.of age would he be up to it.

i do know one thing it would break my heart.

good luck and keep us posted.

I have a neighbour who quite recently went through the exact same experience with his aged dog you are going through now. He was at the running around trying to find a blood type match for his dog stage (do you know there are 25 different blood types for dogs?) before this spleen removal operation thing. I did point out that would it not be better to let nature take it's course rather than keep mucking about with the dog, after all it's quality of life that matters and I'm pretty sure the dog would've been happier left alone in the comfort of it's home. He insisted on pursuing this course and had parked his dog in a local animal hospital, right up until he regretfully received a 'phone call telling him his dog had passed. In a cage in an animal hospital. Your choice.

Edited by dageurreotype

Well, got the blood from Talang Animals Hospital on Wednesday afternoon. I think they are associated with the "dogsfundraser" on FB, mentioned above.

Dog was fine on Wednesday but was poorly on Thursday am. Operation on Thursday pm and they took out his spleen. It was double the normal size and had already started to bleed. I think he would have died that night but for the operation (Chalong Animal Hospital).

He was groggy on Thursday night, naturally, but almost back to his old self on Friday. I took him home on Saturday morning. He is a much happier little chappie. Having more tests done to see if it is an aggressive cancer or not. May require some chemo, but hopefully not.

He is about a kilo lighter and I'm about 25k worse off :) Worth it, though.

i think the other dog is a bit pissed off because she is no longer the center of attention.

Glad to hear you have more time with your friend. Make the most of it and remember soon there will come a time when you will have to say goodbye forever, This being Thailand it may be best to start looking for a vet who will ease the pain if needs be.

Well, got the blood from Talang Animals Hospital on Wednesday afternoon. I think they are associated with the "dogsfundraser" on FB, mentioned above.

Dog was fine on Wednesday but was poorly on Thursday am. Operation on Thursday pm and they took out his spleen. It was double the normal size and had already started to bleed. I think he would have died that night but for the operation (Chalong Animal Hospital).

He was groggy on Thursday night, naturally, but almost back to his old self on Friday. I took him home on Saturday morning. He is a much happier little chappie. Having more tests done to see if it is an aggressive cancer or not. May require some chemo, but hopefully not.

He is about a kilo lighter and I'm about 25k worse off smile.png Worth it, though.

i think the other dog is a bit pissed off because she is no longer the center of attention.

well worth every bht.every day is precious to you and him.long may he live.

MEATBOY. love me love my dog.