How long can I stay in thailand each year just as a "tourist"

^^^ is this true? has anyone every got rejected before?

and man why the hells this shit so hard I thought it would simple. Whats the cheapest way to get to Savannakhet by plane plus bus?

also if I get a 7 day extension then I can do my visa run on the 14th and come back on the 15th? because in that case thats probably what I'll do.

I'm looking at a condo tomorrow that I've actually been staying at (just another room) and I want to do a 3 month lease but if I do my visa run on the 14th then is it okay for me to do sign the lease and stuff, like is there any reason that my visa run will be unsuccessful? then I can just leave my shit there and dont have to take it with me cause my luggage is huge.

Also do they like question you at the border, if they ask why Im staying so long what should I say

Edited by P4K

and man why the hells this shit so hard I thought it would simple. Whats the cheapest way to get to Savannakhet by plane plus bus?

also if I get a 7 day extension then I can do my visa run on the 14th and come back on the 15th? because in that case thats probably what I'll do.

I'm looking at a condo tomorrow that I've actually been staying at (just another room) and I want to do a 3 month lease but if I do my visa run on the 14th then is it okay for me to do sign the lease and stuff, like is there any reason that my visa run will be unsuccessful? then I can just leave my shit there and dont have to take it with me cause my luggage is huge.

Also do they like question you at the border, if they ask why Im staying so long what should I say

Not sure what he was writing about. You will not have a problem getting the visa.

By bus is the least costly way to go to Savannakhet via Mukdahan. You could fly to Udon and take a bus to Mukdahan. To get to Mukdahan you have to fly to Don Mueang first.

If you get the 7 day extension you could leave to do the trip on the 14th and return the evening of the 15th. Don't worry about getting the visa since it will be your first one.

With your history you will not be questioned at the border.

Note to OP from Chiang Mai retirement posted yesterday (and tomorrow is last day before long holiday):

Just back from the yearly trip to Chiang Mai Immigration for renewal of my non Immigrant Retirement visa and thought I'd file a report. As you know the Immigration office has moved to a new location in the Promenada Shopping Mall and this has slowed down the process considerably. What used to take about 2-3 hours is now an all day affair.

I arrived at 6:00 am in order to secure a place in the queue. ...

Note to OP from Chiang Mai retirement posted yesterday (and tomorrow is last day before long holiday):

Just back from the yearly trip to Chiang Mai Immigration for renewal of my non Immigrant Retirement visa and thought I'd file a report. As you know the Immigration office has moved to a new location in the Promenada Shopping Mall and this has slowed down the process considerably. What used to take about 2-3 hours is now an all day affair.

I arrived at 6:00 am in order to secure a place in the queue. ...

What long holiday. Immigration will only be closed on the 7th and the 10th.

That info is for a retirement extension which is a different process than applying for a 7 day extension. No need to be there at 6 am..

It's a holiday weekend with 2 closures next week.. He may be on the same queue as everyone except the 90 day reporters. Since he has procrastinated about everything else, I just suggest that he show up on time.

Edited by JLCrab

Not sure what he was writing about. You will not have a problem getting the visa.

By bus is the least costly way to go to Savannakhet via Mukdahan. You could fly to Udon and take a bus to Mukdahan. To get to Mukdahan you have to fly to Don Mueang first.

If you get the 7 day extension you could leave to do the trip on the 14th and return the evening of the 15th. Don't worry about getting the visa since it will be your first one.

With your history you will not be questioned at the border.

okay cool thanks I think this is the best option by far

but cant I fly straight to udon? youre talking about udon thani right? I just searched and theres flights there and back for like $150. And then according to google maps its about 4 hours by bus to mukdahan?

You can fly to Udon Thani from CM then take a bus to Mukdahan. But you would have to do it the day before you apply for the visa and arrive at the bridge in Mukdahan prior to 6 pm to cross over to Savannakhet the same day. After 6 pm you would need to spend the night in Mukdahan and do the crossing the next morning.

You can fly to Udon Thani from CM then take a bus to Mukdahan. But you would have to do it the day before you apply for the visa and arrive at the bridge in Mukdahan prior to 6 pm to cross over to Savannakhet the same day. After 6 pm you would need to spend the night in Mukdahan and do the crossing the next morning.

okay so I apply for a 7 day extension on monday then on the morning of the following monday I get a flight direct to udon thani and catch a 4 hour bus that crosses into savannakhet. Once I get there I go straight to the thai immigration office or w.e apply for a SETV and get a hotelarrow-10x10.png somewhere in the area, I pick up the stamp or w.e then following morning and then I catch a bus back to udon thani and I can be back in chiang mai by monday night?

btw do I get single entry or double entry visa?

Also If I apply first thing in the morning of the 15th could I get the visa on the same day?

Edited by P4K

okay so I apply for a 7 day extension on monday then on the morning of the following monday I get a flight direct to udon thani and catch a 4 hour bus that crosses into savannakhet. Once I get there I go straight to the thai immigration office or w.e apply for a SETV and get a hotelarrow-10x10.png somewhere in the area, I pick up the stamp or w.e then following morning and then I catch a bus back to udon thani and I can be back in chiang mai by monday night?

Since Nov 13 double/triple entry tourist visas were withdrawn and are no longer available!.

Only single entry tourist visas are now issued unless a multi entry tourist visa is applied for in your home country

Since Nov 13 double/triple entry tourist visas were withdrawn and are no longer available!.

Only single entry tourist visas are now issued unless a multi entry tourist visa is applied for in your home country

oh wow really? what exactly is the difference? with SETV I still get 3 months right?

oh wow really? what exactly is the difference? with SETV I still get 3 months right?

There is no point in discussing options which are no longer available.

A single entry tourist visa provides a 60 day stay which can be extended, on application, at any immigration office for a fee of 1900 Bht.

Also If I apply first thing in the morning of the 15th could I get the visa on the same day?

Immigration will not be open on Monday it is a holiday. You can apply on Tuesday and not be fined for an overstay since your permit to stay ends on a day they are not open.

If you get the 7 day extension you can go to Vientiane for your visa.

You have to apply for the visa before 11 am at the consulate (not immigration). You then pick up your passport the next afternoon.

okay cool awesome I think thats what I will do then, is there a flight+bus plan I can use to get to vienntiene cause all the flights to there and back are like $330+ and at bad times for the cheaper end ones

I guess people just look at these things differently. I would have made sure that I crossed into PDR Lao on or before the 7th making any 7-day extension at Chiang Mai Immigration unnecessary especially knowing it was on my last day possible of my current extension. Then I would have hung out in Vientiane and eaten lots of French food until the Embassy/consulate opens.

I guess some people just have a busier schedule than mine. But in 25+ years of traveling in Asia including visas issued by the Communist Party in PRChina in the late 1980's, I just prefer not to make my life any more hectic than necessary.

YMMV

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

ubon do you think you can send me a link with the tickets from dec 14? cause idk if the sites glitched for me or something but when I search it only shows me the flight times and has no prices nor an option to continue?

It seems they may of stopped doing the fly/ride service to Vientiane. I get the same result you did when I check for flights.

Checking Chiang Mai to Udon Thani gives flight details. It seems you will need take the van from the airport in Udon to the bridge in Nong Khai.

It seems they may of stopped doing the fly/ride service to Vientiane. I get the same result you did when I check for flights.

Checking Chiang Mai to Udon Thani gives flight details. It seems you will need take the van from the airport in Udon to the bridge in Nong Khai.

alright thanks a lot it looks good, so if I get the 1week extension tomorrow at the cm immigration office I gotta leave on the 14th but the flights too late so looks like Im gonna have to spend 2 nights there then fly back on the 16th, do you know where I can get a ticket for the van? and does that only take me to the bridge or straight to vientiane?

I think their is desk where you buy the ticket for the van in the airport.

The van will just take you to the bridge. Then after clearing Thai immigration yon get get the shuttle bus across to the Lao side of the bridge. Then you can take a tuk tuk or taxi into Vientiane.

alright cool I think I got it then thanks a lot for the help, so I can just get a van ticket when I arrive at the airport? also quick side question, are malls open today being a holiday and all?

Edited by P4K

You should at least bring a small bag because you are allowed one liter of alcohol and 200 cigarettes (carton) import into Thailand which you can purchase at the duty free shop at the Lao Bridge. what you do with those items is up-to-you.

srry just gonna ask, if I want to save money and go just by bus what is the fastest route and how much will it cost/ where can I buy the tickets?

BKK MoChit station to Nong Khai is around 525 Baht one-way in a VIP bus (3 seats across - wide and comfortable - good recline) with wifi, on-demand movies, and an AC plug for your laptop, if you use the "Chan-Tour" bus company.

They let you pick your seat, so take of the seats by itself, and you even have a bit of privacy. I am usually awake for about 3 hours of the journey, and you get there in the early AM, so no rush to reach the consulate on time. Tell the driver's assistant you want to get off at the bridge to Lao.

Both directions, I try to purchase my tickets about 2 hrs early, to ensure I get one of the good seats - then grab a bite to eat before the ride.

I've done fly, which costs me extra hotel nights away from home, and the train (cool experience, but usually arrives late, costing me an extra night). This is my preferred option of the three.

can i also get a SETV from Ho Chi Minh cause I see the flights are very cheap to there and back

Yes, but you may be asked to show proof of onward travel, hotel bookings, and funds. Only Laos and Penang are known not to do this. Those with a passport full of other, recent Thai visas ... who knows what they might say. Not a bad option if starting in a fairly fresh passport, based on others recent experiences.

can i also get a SETV from Ho Chi Minh cause I see the flights are very cheap to there and back

Yes, but you may be asked to show proof of onward travel, hotel bookings, and funds. Only Laos and Penang are known not to do this. Those with a passport full of other, recent Thai visas ... who knows what they might say. Not a bad option if starting in a fairly fresh passport, based on others recent experiences.

For setv at hcmc you will need plane ticket INTO thailand. Be aware it needs to be print out. Cell display not suffice. Be also aware that most countries need visa into Vietnam obtained prior or letter of approval (best option). Some lucky countries do not need visa. UK included. Consulate is a breeze no queues and flights very cheap.

• Like 1

srry just gonna ask, if I want to save money and go just by bus what is the fastest route and how much will it cost/ where can I buy the tickets?

if travelling by bus there is only one company you can really trust regarding safety (and comfort) and that is NCA.

I say this because unlike other bus companies they have two drivers that change halfway.

You could travel first class from Bangkok (see the pictures of inside the bus on the link below).

Buying the tickets couldn't be easier and you can do it any time by simply calling the number 1624. Then

after you have made the booking on the telephone they give you 3 to 4 hours to then go to any 7-Eleven to pay the money and receive your bus ticket.smile.png

http://www.nca.co.th/first_class.html