America's bizarre reaction to mass shootings

webfact

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He described them as "machine guns", not semi-automatic rifles.

I was raised in Texas and know the difference. The bait shops where I come from are good for accessories as well.

I absolutely understand what you're saying. My point was that the guns that people are parading around local supermarkets with look so similar to the US military issue that it is hard to see the difference.. Honestly at say 20ft away could you tell if it was a semi or auto?

So they look similar.

If you see a 2nd Ammendment parader in the local supermarket, you can ask them all about it without any fear whatsoever.

Gun owners, and those who are willing to stand up for that right or any other, are not "nutters", or mentally ill. That's social programming and propoganda by liberals and progressives, and their minions who regurgitate it like kids in a madrassa.

So Walmart isn't a supermarket then. Is department store a better description?

Sure.

But it seemed like you meant to characterize the USA broadly as some unhinged country that sells assault rifles and bisquits at the local supermarkets, which is not really the case.

Forgive me if I got your intent wrong but there's lots of regurgitated nonsense from people who's experience is limited to Fox News and an internet cable.

Sure.But it seemed like you meant to characterize the USA broadly as some unhinged country that sells assault rifles and bisquits at the local supermarkets, which is not really the case.

Forgive me if I got your intent wrong but there's lots of regurgitated nonsense from people who's experience is limited to Fox News and an internet cable.

That is pretty much what the misinformed non-americans think. They pickup cheap magazines and shady newspapers that spout garbage about everything...and then all jump on the same farm wagon, shouting how every single person in the USA has 20 assault rifles, given away (providing you have enough coupons) at the 7 Eleven.

Utter nonsense.

Supermarkets !!! crazy.gif Really...give us something a bit more crazy. It would be quite difficult for me to move back to New York and purchase a weapon (no address/background because I have been overseas for twenty years)....even though I am retired military. I cannot even apply for a Fiancee Visa ....same address problem.

Not as simple as everyone makes it out to be. However, in the part of town where I used to live, you would of found self protection very prudent...as all the bad guys had illegal ones.

Edited by slipperylobster

Sure.But it seemed like you meant to characterize the USA broadly as some unhinged country that sells assault rifles and bisquits at the local supermarkets, which is not really the case.

That is pretty much what the misinformed non-americans think. They pickup cheap magazines and shady newspapers that spout garbage about everything...and then all jump on the same farm wagon, shouting how every single person in the USA has 20 assault rifles, given away (providing you have enough coupons) at the 7 Eleven.

Utter nonsense.

Supermarkets !!! crazy.gif Really...give us something a bit more crazy. It would be quite difficult for me to move back to New York and purchase a weapon (no address/background because I have been overseas for twenty years)....even though I am retired military. I cannot even apply for a Fiancee Visa ....same address problem.

Not as simple as everyone makes it out to be. However, in the part of town where I used to live, you would of found self protection very prudent...as all the bad guys had illegal ones.

And that's the difference between US and countries that have implemented tighter control such ad Canada, UK and Australia. There the bad guys did not have any guns.

Please stop with that tiresome and nonsense argument.

problem with Americans, they don't know how to shoot correctly . anyone can buy a gun but shooting correctly is only for the best of the best . most fat people can not shoot because guns are built for normal people. cholesterol doesn't help at aiming. Americans are little bit slow upstairs, drug and alcohol don't help...

Edited by VIPinthailand

I was raised in Texas and know the difference. The bait shops where I come from are good for accessories as well.

I absolutely understand what you're saying. My point was that the guns that people are parading around local supermarkets with look so similar to the US military issue that it is hard to see the difference.. Honestly at say 20ft away could you tell if it was a semi or auto?

So they look similar.

If you see a 2nd Ammendment parader in the local supermarket, you can ask them all about it without any fear whatsoever.

Gun owners, and those who are willing to stand up for that right or any other, are not "nutters", or mentally ill. That's social programming and propoganda by liberals and progressives, and their minions who regurgitate it like kids in a madrassa.

So you do agree that muslims following the "rights" set out for them in the Koran can come round and cut your kids heads off because they are "kaffas". Is that a nice enough bit of liberal progressive rhetoric for you. We all need sensible rights to suit the times we live in. When the right to posess arms was raised in the flegling US they were still burning witches so don't bleet about stupid rights. When I was young I could still walk through the UK streets with a Matini-Henry almost as big as me and nobody turned a hair. But the 19 year old unarmed kid who simply accompanied another guy who shot somebody during a robbery was still hung because that kind of murder was still very rare and this kind of strong deterrent worked. Things changed and they tightened the gun laws and tightened them again but people suddenly gained "human rights" so they dont hang murderers any more and there are more "bad guy" gun crimes, but hardly any home shootings or school massacres because very few are legally allowed to keep guns at home. It is still possible to belong to a gun club and to go hunting or shooting (shotgun) in controlled conditions. Yes the UK is not the US, but more can be done if people stop trying to hide behind faux rights.

Sure.

But it seemed like you meant to characterize the USA broadly as some unhinged country that sells assault rifles and bisquits at the local supermarkets, which is not really the case.

I simply said that in the USA you can buy semi automatic weapons at a supermarket. You countered trying to say that I was wrong. I wasn't Walmart is a supermarket and you can indeed buy guns there.. I'm not American but I do think you have to be slightly unhinged to want to carry semi automatic weapons while you go shopping. A question. Do you think that purchasing and owning a gun SHOULD come with mandatory ID checks and gun safety training.. Yes/No

So a certifiably mentally ill individual, who was know to be so for years by his mother who nonetheless taught him to shoot guns, proceeds to steal his mother's guns and kills her with them, and then proceeds to commit mass-murder at a gun-free school zone and what, we're to take away the Second Amendment rights of all the other law abiding citizens of the country. It seems to me you're the one who is psychologically invested in a twisted view of human nature and American society.
What are you bleeting for now. Here you have exactly what you are trying to foster onto us. The kids mother taught him to shoot because it was his "right" under your precious second amendent. Oh but he was insane, Oh but that makes him exactly like all of you gun nuts who think god gave you the right to keep machine guns under your pillows in case the bogy man gets in. I see it is useless to try to get any sensible answers out of you. Get back to dribbling in your beard.

With your impressive knowledge of the US, it is surprising you don't know automatic weapons (machine guns) are extremely expensive, limited in their availability and rarely does the government issue permits for private citizens to own one.

But your claim sounds so much more spectacular than the truth.

But your so much less than impressive knowledge of the English language does not allow you to recognise sarcasm even when it hits you right on the head.

Sometimes it is hard to distinguish sarcasm from sheer stupidity. I go with the latter in your case.

Edited by chuckd

Sure.

I simply said that in the USA you can buy semi automatic weapons at a supermarket. You countered trying to say that I was wrong. I wasn't Walmart is a supermarket and you can indeed buy guns there.. I'm not American but I do think you have to be slightly unhinged to want to carry semi automatic weapons while you go shopping. A question. Do you think that purchasing and owning a gun SHOULD come with mandatory ID checks and gun safety training.. Yes/No

"I wasn't Walmart is a supermarket and you can indeed buy guns there.."

But you are wrong. Wal-Mart stopped selling so-called assault weapons in August 2015, nearly four months ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Walmart to End Sales of Assault-Style Rifles in U.S. Stores

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/27/business/walmart-to-end-sales-of-assault-rifles-in-us-stores.html?_r=0

Edit in: I just read you sentence and in that you are correct. One can still buy "guns" there. Just not assault weapons.

Edited by chuckd

stevenl, on 09 Dec 2015 - 06:47, said:
slipperylobster, on 09 Dec 2015 - 06:23, said:

Utter nonsense.

And that's the difference between US and countries that have implemented tighter control such ad Canada, UK and Australia. There the bad guys did not have any guns.

So the bad guys in the UK do not have guns

What do you think this guy was, a good guy

A man, aged in his 20s, died from his wounds after he was shot outside the Marriott hotel on Old Shire Lane in Waltham Abbey. Essex police, assisted by Scotland Yard and other forces, have launched a murder investigation and are attempting to locate the gunman

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/08/waltham-abbey-man-shot-dead-police-hunt-continues-gunman

I will stick my neck out here. It was definitely not a legally registered firearm and was probably a drug deal that went bad.

Just for your info. There is an average of 1 firearm death a week in the UK. Great stat considering it has some of the strictest gun control measures in the world. Criminals have no need to worry about laws. That is why they are called criminals.

stevenl, on 09 Dec 2015 - 06:47, said:

slipperylobster, on 09 Dec 2015 - 06:23, said:

Utter nonsense.

So the bad guys in the UK do not have guns

What do you think this guy was, a good guy

A man, aged in his 20s, died from his wounds after he was shot outside the Marriott hotel on Old Shire Lane in Waltham Abbey. Essex police, assisted by Scotland Yard and other forces, have launched a murder investigation and are attempting to locate the gunman

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/08/waltham-abbey-man-shot-dead-police-hunt-continues-gunman

I will stick my neck out here. It was definitely not a legally registered firearm and was probably a drug deal that went bad.

Just for your info. There is an average of 1 firearm death a week in the UK. Great stat considering it has some of the strictest gun control measures in the world. Criminals have no need to worry about laws. That is why they are called criminals.

. Really! I would love to see where you get those statistics from!

Utter nonsense.

Nonsense post. Bad guys have guns...even in France. I bet Ozzie land has more than their share as well. Canada, UK, as well.

Your post is not an honest assessment. Criminals get guns illegally...

So they look similar.

So you do agree that muslims following the "rights" set out for them in the Koran can come round and cut your kids heads off because they are "kaffas". Is that a nice enough bit of liberal progressive rhetoric for you. We all need sensible rights to suit the times we live in. When the right to posess arms was raised in the flegling US they were still burning witches so don't bleet about stupid rights. When I was young I could still walk through the UK streets with a Matini-Henry almost as big as me and nobody turned a hair. But the 19 year old unarmed kid who simply accompanied another guy who shot somebody during a robbery was still hung because that kind of murder was still very rare and this kind of strong deterrent worked. Things changed and they tightened the gun laws and tightened them again but people suddenly gained "human rights" so they dont hang murderers any more and there are more "bad guy" gun crimes, but hardly any home shootings or school massacres because very few are legally allowed to keep guns at home. It is still possible to belong to a gun club and to go hunting or shooting (shotgun) in controlled conditions. Yes the UK is not the US, but more can be done if people stop trying to hide behind faux rights.

You made 1 or 2 sensible statements but it's hard to give you any credit when you compare the Quran to Constitutional rights, and cutting off the heads of children, which may or may not even be in the Quran as you suggest. Dunno, don't care either.

You characterize people who are fighting to preserve Constitutional rights under political assault, as "bleeting for stupid rights". You also referred to them as "faux rights". Easy to be dismissive when you've got no skin in the game, old boy.

Americans have to find their own way forward on this, but I doubt it will result in the closely supervised, recorded, and tightly controlled utopia you prescribe, and are proud that your Canadian and OZ flunkies have followed your example. The cavalier, looking down your nose instructive attitude is counter-productive. It's not that Americans don't know, they just like telling you lot to piss off. cowboy.gif

Sure.

No, I supected that you had purposely mischaracterized to make your regurgitated, faux astonishment sound more fantastic and weird. I asked for forgiveness if I was wrong, but can see now I was spot on. SlipperyLobster was quicker on the draw than I was, and has you pegged correctly above.

problem with Americans, they don't know how to shoot correctly . anyone can buy a gun but shooting correctly is only for the best of the best . most fat people can not shoot because guns are built for normal people. cholesterol doesn't help at aiming. Americans are little bit slow upstairs, drug and alcohol don't help...

Sounds like YOU are the one on drugs, mate.

You Actually believe that criminals are the only ones that kill others with guns...

You actually think good people run out and get guns to kill other good people?

I actually think there are plenty of situations that "good people" can get angry and use the gun that they have like a "bad person" would. They are good until they are bad..that's kinda the point. Crime in the USA is more violent than most other countries that have strict gun laws!

Guy walks into a Walmart in Pennsylvania last night carrying an assault rifle and handguns. One guy's shot. The bad guy.

Wonder how it would have ended had he walked into a TESCO or a Carrefour armed like that?

http://fox13now.com/2015/12/12/gunman-shot-at-walmart-in-pennsylvania/

Except he can't buy assault rifles or handguns at a Tesco or Carrefour, or thousands of other locations.

Which is the main reason there are so many shootings.

Perhaps you're looking in the wrong direction.

http://www.cafe.com/6-times-a-good-guy-with-a-gun-stopped-a-mass-shooting-and-1450-times-a-bad-guy-with-a-gun-started-one/

Edited by Chicog

This aughta put Thai Visa gun grabbers shorts in a wad.... clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

For the first time in more than 20 years, support for a ban on assault weapons dipped below 50 percent.

Just 45 percent of those polled in an ABC News/Washington Post survey out Wednesday, support a ban — the lowest number in more than two decades. Fifty-three percent are opposed to such a ban, the largest plurality yet.

Just one in five people (22 percent) trust that the government can prevent lone wolf attacks, while 77 percent of people are skeptical. The numbers, however, are better for faith in the government’s ability to stop a large scale attack (43 percent), though 56 percent of those polled don’t trust the government to stop those either.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/poll-assault-weapons-ban-216846#ixzz3uZk2pXPe

After viewing all these idiotic anti-gun posts, I now believe Thai Visa should be required to conduct background checks on current and future posters for mental stability.

There are some people who do bad things with guns, and more gun laws will not stop this. However, guns protect people when law enforcement can't be there unless you live in Australia.

Instead of trying to figure out how to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, we should ask, what are these people doing out of prison. We don't need to control guns owned by millions of law abiding people. We need to control the people who abuse the rights of gun ownership.