Crackdown On Unhygienic Market Stalls

george

Govt launches crackdown on unhygienic market stalls

Ten traders forced to close temporarily

BANGKOK: -- The government has launched tough action against market traders selling fresh produce in a bid to raise hygiene standards amid concerns for public health.

A total of 10 meat and vegetable vendors were temporarily banned yesterday at Huay Khwang market for failing to maintain clean stalls and store produce appropriately.

Public Health Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan said the market was infested with rats and cockroaches, and the drainage system blocked.

``This is the first warning,'' she said. ``If no improvements are seen during the next inspection in one month, vendors will be liable to fines of up to 10,000 baht, or the whole market may be closed.''

Vendors whose produce was found to be contaminated with chemicals like borax or salbutamol, or fungus, would face maximum fines of 20,000 baht and/or jail terms of two months.

Mrs Sudarat said market vendors had received a substantial grace period to review their hygiene standards since the campaign was announced in January.

Tongsuk Ruangkling, a 62-year-old vendor who was among those closed down, said responsibility for cleaning Huay Khwang market should rest with its owner, city hall.

``I have a family with two little grandchildren to look after,'' she said. ``How are they going to get by now the authorities have closed our stall? This is our only source of income.''

--Bangkok Post 2004-04-10

i live in huay khwang ,and most of our shopping is done on the market . i agree SOME of the stalls are unclean ,but others are fine , i would suggerst a public education campaign to educate the buyers of produce ( the thai public ) filthy stalls would clean up there act once people stop buying there product . i know which stalls are clean ,and these get my business , some people dont seem to care . the use of chemicals has to be a concern to all of us though as this is not possible to spot . if anyone knows how to spot this ,please share it with the forum !! :o

its always better to see what is going on, thats why i prefer to eat where i can see my food being handled and cooked.

when i am in a new town or food market here i always watch a couple of customers being served before jumping in. check the way the meats are kept, check whether the seller or cook is coughing up lungers or doing some nasal housekeeping. usually if the seller looks clean then the stall will be well kept.

never had any stomach probs in thailand , as far as the chemicals go, well thats another matter because i dont know how i can check for that.