Dongle

MZurf

Dongles are available. A mate once had a Dtac one. I use my phone as a wireless hotspot for my laptop. Works pretty good even in the rural areas where the 3g signal isn't the best. If you are in the city you should be able to stream pretty well.

I use my phone as a wireless hotspot for my laptop.

Yes, the easiest solution if you have a smartphone.

I have thought of that but was told the speed on a WiFi network would not be sufficient. I don't know how much down/upload playing an online game will require but I guess a lot?

I use my phone as a wireless hotspot for my laptop.

Yes, the easiest solution if you have a smartphone.

I have thought of that but was told the speed on a WiFi network would not be sufficient. I don't know how much down/upload playing an online game will require but I guess a lot?

I think it is not the speed but the lag - a cable connection might be 25ms ping and an aircard higher - wifi via a cable service connection would not be a problem and your phone as a hotspot connection would be 3g with a higher ping. I know with a sat. connection it does not work for that reason no matter how much speed it has. IF your cell phone can be a hot spot try it out - that would be the same as an 3g aircard anyway - as they say same thing only different.

Dongles are available. A mate once had a Dtac one. I use my phone as a wireless hotspot for my laptop. Works pretty good even in the rural areas where the 3g signal isn't the best. If you are in the city you should be able to stream pretty well.

These dongles just use the USB port for power right ?

They still use WiFi to transmit the signal to the device correct ?

I have a US Hot-spot (Netgear 770S Air Card), unlocked from AT&T, that I use on DTAC's network and I seriously doubt if it is strong enough to not lag when trying to play online games but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it

The information I found is that a ping of 46ms on my Smart phone and 38ms on my laptop should be low enough for online gaming according to this source:

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130315214122AAIwwKD

These dongles just use the USB port for power right ?

They still use WiFi to transmit the signal to the device correct ?

I have a US Hot-spot (Netgear 770S Air Card), unlocked from AT&T, that I use on DTAC's network and I seriously doubt if it is strong enough to not lag when trying to play online games but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it

The information I found is that a ping of 46ms on my Smart phone and 38ms on my laptop should be low enough for online gaming according to this source:

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130315214122AAIwwKD

The dongle is a 3g device the same as a phone is without the phone function and connects to the laptop via usb port - they use a sim card to connect to the internet. If your phone which is 3g already can be a hot spot it becomes a wireless dongle and does not use the usb port - it is often much easier to deal with. If the hot spot is low enough ping just use that it is still just 3g to the internet via your phone as a virtual dongle - a dongle can also have wifi connection option to avoid 3g use, but your laptop already does that too and you will use the same wifi to connect to the phone. Your phone as a hot spot becomes a wifi/router with 3g internet when no other wifi or cable connection to the internet will work for you. I know clear as mud rightthumbsup.gif