Thai Tailors

PATTAYAPUNTER

I have a friend who sets up the fronts for the tailor ops. Anyone can invest and he has an Indian running the fronts which we see walking down the street always run by Indians. So I posed the question that many of us have wondered: Why, in Thailand, don't we see more Thai tailors? It seems Indians have the monopoly of the market. His reply was "we just do it." There was not much more to his explanation than that...

I wonder if they all have work permits or do they pay tea money or what??

I have a friend who sets up the fronts for the tailor ops. Anyone can invest and he has an Indian running the fronts which we see walking down the street always run by Indians. So I posed the question that many of us have wondered: Why, in Thailand, don't we see more Thai tailors? It seems Indians have the monopoly of the market. His reply was "we just do it." There was not much more to his explanation than that...

Just to answer your question posed by the topic title...Yes, they do exist. try Mr. Wills on Soi Yodsak. He's been operating in Pattaya for more than 25 years, initially from a shop in what is now known as "Walking Street".

Also, The Top Shop in Pattayaland 2 next to the Blue Parrot Mexican restaurant.

Run by a Thai lady who doesn't try to drag you in off the soi, doesn't try to shake your hand and doesn't call you "mate" :o

-redwood

Yes, I'd recommend her also. She keeps a record of everything that she has ever made for an order and clips a sample of the material to that record.

the suit making is actually done by thais, i have seen many of the manufacturing units close to where i live............they are all Thai's working there.

Just to answer your question posed by the topic title...Yes, they do exist. try Mr. Wills on Soi Yodsak. He's been operating in Pattaya for more than 25 years, initially from a shop in what is now known as "Walking Street".

Is Soi Yodsak same as soi 6. Mr Will is a Thai Taylor ( family business ) one third ofthe way down soi six heading in the beach road dierection on the left of the Soi. Nice bloke and highly recomended

Richard

Would a shop like The Top Shop in Pattayaland 2 also handle minor alterations? I've got some pants that need to be shortened & hemmed, and would rather take them to someplace other than sidewalk seamstress using a visible, uneven machine-made straight stitch.

A while ago I needed to have some curtains hemmed, too. Would I be out of place (i.e. would seamstress lose face) if I lugged them down and inquired?

Is Soi Yodsak same as soi 6. Mr Will is a Thai Taylor ( family business ) one third ofthe way down soi six heading in the beach road dierection on the left of the Soi. Nice bloke and highly recomended

Richard

Yes Richard, same soi and same tailor.

I had a Thai tailor for years, used to come to my apartment for fitting, did a good job and price was fine. Then out of the blue he called my wife to ask for a loan as his business had gone bad. Never heard from him again. Suppose I have to go back to the Indians again.

Most of the 'Indian' taylors I know inBangkok in fact are Thai citizens and born

in Thailand. Can't be much diferent in Pattaya.

correct i think most indian taylors have gone only up front at shop then you reqs are then handed bover to thai taylors i think that is the law that the thai gets the job..............good luck :o

Most of the 'Indian' taylors I know inBangkok in fact are Thai citizens and born

in Thailand. Can't be much diferent in Pattaya.

correct i think most indian taylors have gone only up front at shop then you reqs are then handed bover to thai taylors i think that is the law that the thai gets the job..............good luck :o

Would a shop like The Top Shop in Pattayaland 2 also handle minor alterations?

I'd guess the answer would be yes. It's the slow season right now and she'd not be likely to turn down a prospective future customer.

Phone her at: (038) 425679

-redwood