saw snake going up Doi Suthep trail

dthisb

So I was out for a bike ride, went down Suthep road to end, then up and to left past the little reservoir, and up, then when had choice of going left on old road/ / now trail, or right down cement, went on the trail.

Went about 10 minutes (interesting all the old roads they built up the hill, must have taken a lot of work as had drainage and such... now abandoned...), then decided to take a side trail up hill.

After 10 feet, saw a black snake crossing the trail, maybe 2 inches thick, and 3-4 feet long at least I'd estimate (could not see all at once, as only could see part crossing the trail)

Any idea if this snake was dangerous?

So I hurriedly went back to main trail after this, then waited some time watching down trail to see if the snake crossed it.

Then decided to pick up a stick and walk slow for first 30 feet using stick on the grass... then jumped on bike and headed off...

Then went on the cement road w/ thought that will stick to that :)

And good news is went up hill again, and found the trail that starts at the radio tower, so went up that to the monastery (carrying bike 1/3 of way), then up the road to Doi Suthep... (not sure how I got the courage to go up the trail after the earlier scare with the snake... but a good choice...)

So had a good time / exercise... but wondering if I should stick to main line trails if snakes might be dangerous?

Seems even a main line trail could have issues though...

Lots of snakes in Chiangmai and not just of the trouser snake kind.

In the interests of thinking this post may just possibly be genuine I am posting a link to an excellent booklet on Thai snakes and the gentleman there would be hapy to answer your queries. He seems to have real knowledge and a real love of his subject. One of the many people here who excel in what they do.

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/

For those who fear spam I have had two notices in two years from him.

Edited by harrry

Good to remember that generally snakes are more scared of you than you are of them. Given the chance they will move away from you unless they are protecting the territory of their eggs etc. You see them rarely when you walk in forest or jungle but they are there but have moved away from you.

I worked in the North of Australia doing survey work years ago and I saw one snake. But their trails were everywhere in the sand. If you see one back off and let them go.

Round a house it is diferent. THe man I quoted suggested eople who will catch them and let them free. I would be more likely to ensure that my neighbours could eat it that night.

Good to remember that generally snakes are more scared of you than you are of them. Given the chance they will move away from you unless they are protecting the territory of their eggs etc. You see them rarely when you walk in forest or jungle but they are there but have moved away from you.

I worked in the North of Australia doing survey work years ago and I saw one snake. But their trails were everywhere in the sand. If you see one back off and let them go.

Round a house it is diferent. THe man I quoted suggested eople who will catch them and let them free. I would be more likely to ensure that my neighbours could eat it that night.

If the man you quoted seems to have in your words "a real love of his subject" why would he even suggest catching them? Do you think snakes like being caught? How would you like something that is 30x taller then you doing that to you?

This is not a troll but a honest question.

Good to know there is still a bit of animal life in the park, I am always amazed at the scarcity of life there. Seeing a snake is a good thing, especially just crossing a trail not interested in you. People from the the British isles can be excused for their fear as they have no experience with snakes and aussies well, they have too much experience with deadly snakes, the rest of us should be rational and just enjoy nature. ... keep an eye out for the malay pit viper, the rest will clear out.

Good to know there is still a bit of animal life in the park, I am always amazed at the scarcity of life there. Seeing a snake is a good thing, especially just crossing a trail not interested in you. People from the the British isles can be excused for their fear as they have no experience with snakes and aussies well, they have too much experience with deadly snakes, the rest of us should be rational and just enjoy nature. ... keep an eye out for the malay pit viper, the rest will clear out.

Thanks for reminding me of a a good example of a excusable reason to catch a snake.

I had a Malay Pit Viper come up from my outside pool shower drain right (or maybe during and they didn't notice) after the GF and 1 yr old were in there.

I removed with snake tongs and posted the whole thing on You Tube.

This was out of love for my family and not the snake, though it was a beauty.

I consider all snakes in LOS poisonous, including the ones in uniforms and the very more hard to detectable ones without (known as politicians).

If the snakes are red or yellow, you should be very careful, the black ones usually wear hoods and are very hard to detect.

Take Care

Amja

Cobra seen on Palaad trail, but i'm told the dangerous one is (I think) the Malaysian Pit Viper because it doesn't wriggle away like most snakes.

Friend has seen one I think it was on the higher trail up to Suthep temple.

Yep, vipers are on the mountain. I've seen one up near the summit of Doi Pui.

Snakes are a reality here. I myself have encountered a cobra. As other's have mentioned, the malay pit vipers are dangerous as well. My understanding is that a snake isn't going to bite 'us' with intent of having a good meal, but out of fear in the event maybe you accidentally step on it or something like this. A lot of people talk tough, or joke around about it, but once you've been face to face with a snake that could instantly ruin your life it's no longer a laughing matter.

If you've spent much time in the Nat'l parks here in Thailand, you'll notice you see mostly farang, and not Thais out on the trails. I hypothesize a big part of the reason we don't see the Thais out there is because of their fear of snakes.

All that said, with anything in life, it's a calculated risks. These sort of snake bites don't seem to happen much up here, and it depends on how much you love being out on the trails here. I've seen a lot of beautiful nature here in Thailand so I am glad I've gone out, I'm also glad I haven't gotten bit. Watch your step, I guess.

Rubber tappers, fruit pickers, tea pickers often wear thick rubber boots fruit pickers sometimes get tagged by green tree vipers, caution on trails where foliage or branches make a narrow passage, use a long stick to disturb the forward foliage, look down for ground snakes and maybe, just maybe you will get out of the park alive.blink.png

Rubber tappers, fruit pickers, tea pickers often wear thick rubber boots fruit pickers sometimes get tagged by green tree vipers, caution on trails where foliage or branches make a narrow passage, use a long stick to disturb the forward foliage, look down for ground snakes and maybe, just maybe you will get out of the park alive.blink.png

to get run down by a minibus facepalm.gif

Snakes are a reality here. I myself have encountered a cobra. As other's have mentioned, the malay pit vipers are dangerous as well. My understanding is that a snake isn't going to bite 'us' with intent of having a good meal, but out of fear in the event maybe you accidentally step on it or something like this. A lot of people talk tough, or joke around about it, but once you've been face to face with a snake that could instantly ruin your life it's no longer a laughing matter.

If you've spent much time in the Nat'l parks here in Thailand, you'll notice you see mostly farang, and not Thais out on the trails. I hypothesize a big part of the reason we don't see the Thais out there is because of their fear of snakes.

All that said, with anything in life, it's a calculated risks. These sort of snake bites don't seem to happen much up here, and it depends on how much you love being out on the trails here. I've seen a lot of beautiful nature here in Thailand so I am glad I've gone out, I'm also glad I haven't gotten bit. Watch your step, I guess.

You don't see many Thais in the parks because they can't afford the exorbitant entry fees !!

I'm happy to see that you haven't been bitten, but another, possibly small reason, why you don't see many Thais out in the National Parks, is that so many are not too interested in walking.

I'm not knocking the Thais, as many other Asians have the same problem. I have Thai friends who are not interested if they can't use their motor bikes.

There are probably just as many venomous snakes on the ground here as in Australia, but we do look where we're walking, and don't try and attack them with sticks or whatever. You attack them - they'll attack you!

We have a saying: "what steps do you take if there's a snake on the track?"

Reply: "bloody big ones - backwards!"

When I was a young immigrant to Australia I was taught to stamp a foot every few paces in snake territory to give them warning to slither away unnoticed.

I showed this to missus little nephew and to this day he does a very pronounced "double stamp" I guess it's his version.

Lots of snakes everywhere, in the city and in the forest. Cobras and vipers on all the trails on the edge of town/mountain, including Pilgrim's Trail and Huay Kaew waterfall trail up to Wang Bua Ban. Keep your eyes open and watch where you step. The Malayan Pit Viper often curls up on trails and does not slink away like most snakes when approached. Apparently you have 30 mins to get to a hospital if bitten. I posted a photo of one at Wang Bua Ban a while ago...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/836716-malayan-pit-viper-near-wang-bua-ban/?hl=malayan