Thailand's automotive industry urges Trans-Pacific Agreement

webfact

Thailand's Automotive Industry Urges Trans-Pacific Agreement
BY JACOB MASLOW

BANGKOK: -- Automakers in Thailand are urging government officials to sign the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) to ensure prosperity in the long run. The industry believes that exports will be increased as a result of the partnership.

The agreement was signed in early October by 12 Pacific Rim countries, and would be a major boost for Thailand’s automotive industry that exports 70% of its products.

Bilateral or regional trade agreements would be very beneficial, according to Honda Automobile Thailand’s chief operating officer Pitak Pruittisarikorn.

During Thailand’s 32nd Thailand International Motor Expo, Mr. Pitak stated that the country has not lost its competitive edge against other countries that have joined the TPP. The major concern is that automotive industries will be created to help support TPP members, which will hurt Thailand’s exports.

Full story: http://ethailand.com/business-news/thailands-automotive-industry-urges-trans-pacific-partnership-agreement/706/

-- eThailand 2015-12-10

"...Honda Automobile Thailand’s chief operating officer Pitak Pruittisarikorn... stated that the country has not lost its competitive edge against other countries that have joined the TPP. The major concern is that automotive industries will be created to help support TPP members, which will hurt Thailand’s exports."

Translated: Honda has been considering moving production to The Philippines where they don't have all of these taxes and have cheaper labor without all of the Thainess Regulations (TR's).

Edited by NeverSure

"Automakers in Thailand are urging government officials to sign the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) to ensure prosperity in the long run. "

In 5 years, the only thing Thailand's industry will be producing is Rear View Mirrors...Literally and Figuratively.

I have to laugh. These trade deals are a trade off. You get this and we get that. Thailand is on

the whole uncompetitive because of protectionist trade policies. From 51% of business having

to be Thai owned to, 200% duties on imported vehicles versus those manufactured in Thailand.

If Thai based automobile companies think they can join the TPP trade group without the opening

of Thailand to foreign imports they have a great deal to learn. Of course I suspect they will want

to keep the protection of the auto industries while Thailand opens up other areas of its economy.

GMO's/ copy right protection drug patent extensions etc.. come to mind. No free lunch here.

Which politicians/ business will be made to compete without protections so the Thai auto sector

can gain from joining the TPP. Who knows but I doubt Thailand will be a net winner of any

agreement. Too many businesses run inefficiently because of Thai protectionism. From

foreign property/business ownership laws to lack of proper rule of law/corruption. Thailand cannot

compete on a level first world business model. Just my opinion. coffee1.gif

FAIL -

TPP will NOT assure prosperity in the long run (Not for the Thai people)

NAFTA did not assure prosperity in the long run for Canadians, US Americans, Mexicans, South Americans

A single Euro currency did not assure prosperity in the long run for Europeans

All these beneficiaries are suffering economic woes.

I am so sick of hearing this crap that mega treaties for mega corporations will assure prosperity for the people.

This spiel is so obviously false.

TPP and the other secret not-trade agreements have little to nothing to do with actual trade. They are simply a corporate coup that gives corporations rights over governments. Thailand will be on the shit end of the stick if this coup goes through. They will be facing a "court" run by and for the corporations forcing them to stop protectionist policies, produce GMO food and comply with anything else corporations don't like. I doubt they will get the Tier 2 upgrade needed to be a member. Malaysia pulled it off by lobbying, i.e. bribery and the US needed them as part of the coup.