UK expats for EU exit

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only bigots want to leave the EU

You're not European are you, your attitude sounds like it. Ok I am a bigot then i want to leave, just to get The things back my grandfather fought for,in the first world war . Freedom of speech, democracy , things like, that not a dictatorship.

Edited by Thongkorn

if you not interested then go away

I am living in Thailand and I am already registered to vote.

Same here, and I can't now see how any "renegotiation" can come up with terms which would persuade me to vote to remain in the EU. However, being realistic, the opinions of expats living in countries like Thailand are likely to be far outweighed by those of UK citizens resident within other EU countries, and if I were retired or working in, say, France or Spain I would be very nervous about the possible repercussions of Brexit, and vote accordingly.

DavidBonnie, on 10 Dec 2015 - 23:42, said:

The way things are going in the EU, it is only liberal retards that want to stay in.

3 - 2 - 1 modded.

No need to start calling each other bigots or retards, we're all just British-expats living-in-Thailand and with a right to an opinion, I'm sure we all agree that we have a right to take part in any such vote ?

Personally I'm for staying-in, because I think the UK is too-heavily-dependent on the EU-economy, and would be worse-off outside on-our-own.

But I know there are plenty who'd disagree, or who blame Europe for the economic-chills & refugee-problems, myself I think it's good to face these things with a few friends on our side.

I do accept the EU has problems, and wish that we Brits were working harder to fix things, to actively participate. Better to be inside the tent, peering out with our mates and grumbling, than outside and peeing-in ! rolleyes.gif

Ricardo, on 11 Dec 2015 - 17:25, said:
SgtRock, on 11 Dec 2015 - 12:33, said:
DavidBonnie, on 10 Dec 2015 - 23:42, said:DavidBonnie, on 10 Dec 2015 - 23:42, said:

The way things are going in the EU, it is only liberal retards that want to stay in.

3 - 2 - 1 modded.

No need to start calling each other bigots or retards, we're all just British-expats living-in-Thailand and with a right to an opinion, I'm sure we all agree that we have a right to take part in any such vote ?

Personally I'm for staying-in, because I think the UK is too-heavily-dependent on the EU-economy, and would be worse-off outside on-our-own.

But I know there are plenty who'd disagree, or who blame Europe for the economic-chills & refugee-problems, myself I think it's good to face these things with a few friends on our side.

I do accept the EU has problems, and wish that we Brits were working harder to fix things, to actively participate. Better to be inside the tent, peering out with our mates and grumbling, than outside and peeing-in ! rolleyes.gif

I agree with you.

It gets a bit wearisome when you hear the constant screech of bigot, so it is of little surprise when there is a sharp retort. Everyone will have their own personal reasons for staying in or leaving.

I personally disagree with you. I think that the UK economy is much stronger than the EU economy. The Euro currency is only slightly higher than the £ in terms of world trading. Not too shabby for a small island nation. Each to there own.

I certainly have no intention of getting into the perceived ills of the EU. I have no desire to start a verbal riot. I have a few bees in my bonnet, just like most people. There have been a few things that have come to light over the last few months that have not given me a warm fuzzy feeling.

The disparity between member EU Countries dictates the standard of living in the richer Countries will have to be reduced to bring up the living standards of the poorer Countries until an equilibrium is reached. While it is noble to try and assist poorer Countries better themselves. I cannot and will not ever accept that ordinary, everyday people have to suffer the consequences of trying to achieve that.

I am quite capable, able and willing to discuss the issue, in a clear rational manner. If someone wants to start chucking insults, I will make no apologies for volleying insults straight back.

As a 15 year old In 1975 I went around with my late Dad campaigning against the then Common Market.,leafleting the houses.The prophetic words he said at the time stuck with me. "Trading as nations would just be a start to a European Government". I am in no doubt the EU experiment ,an artificial grouping for total integration, will implode and collapse as is the Euro doing and the UK being the 4th biggest economy in the world has no need to face the oncoming tsunami.

Edited by kingalfred
Eclipse, on 11 Dec 2015 - 20:45, said:

To stay in is the right thing to do.

To come out is stupid. We all know that.

Perhaps you could articulate why staying in is right and to come out is stupid.

I also have a working theory and it would be really helpful for you to state your Nationality.

I doubt if Cameron will come back with anything near what he started out asking for but he will put a brave face on it and ask for the countrys support.

I can remember voting to join the EEC in the 70s , it was a leap of faith for us then and it seemed a good one, the bells started ringing as time went along though and on many trips to Spain and France the bar tenders said the same thing...." you are lucky to have the benefits of being in but still have control of your interest rates." Along with that more and more powers appear to be Brussels rather than in Westminster, we no longer control our own destiny and how much culturally do we share with a lot of the European countries? Different countries have different agendas we are not a like minded lot, we are expected to fit in and pay up and yet the public seem to be more and more reluctant to do so, the referendum, which I think Dave might be sorry he promised now, is our one and only opportunity to leave.

There are those again who see it as a leap of faith and many seem brave enough to take that leap whilst between now and the vote there will be many playing the fear card. If we want to get rid of the Human Rights fiasco and take control of destiny once more we need to take that leap, for sure we will have to come to new terms with the EU and many others round the world it depends if that is seen as a problem or not that be overcome. The EU relies very heavily on the UK, apart from the French they have no defence whatsoever and they cannot do without us as a trading partner.

I look with interest at the HMG and wonder just who will support leaving the EU, for now they wait to see what Dave comes back with and he may try and push the date back like he has with the 3rd runway at Heathrow.

The result of the vote could very well see the resignation of Cameron and as for me well The EU has turned into a bad concept that over relies on the German economy and look what effect little Greece has had on things, it looks like a failed project that our exit will only hasten, we will have our currency and they will not, what a mess its turning into, best to keep our contributions at home and try and decide how best to use them.

When you think what we given the world, invented and innovated why should we fear leaving, London is still the worlds financial centre.

Too many pigs at the trough in the EU, many will spend their lives there and achieve nothing.

Finally, would you trust the EU to carry out any changes we thought we had one?

Edited by nong38

One fact is 100% certain.Voting to "stay in " is not voting for the status quo. More Federalism, Economic integration and massive migration will come in the future. The NO campaign needs to emphasise this. Because the EU monster is growing every year!

I'm not a fan of the EU and my gut instinct would be to leave. However, I'll reserve judgement until the outcome of Dave's renegotiations and wait & see whether, against all my expectations, he achieves anything at all. I'd be willing to change if I thought he could obtain some very substantial, cast-iron, guaranteed advantages for UK.

Unfortunately, according to news I've had from an organization that's been campaigning for 'Votes for Ex-Pats', it's likely that a vote in any EU Referendum will NOT be extended to ex-pats outside EU. So it appears that I, and other UK ex-pats in Thailand, will be disenfranchised on this one.

One of my objections to the EU has been based on history and for quite a while I've seen a commonality between past and continuing events in Africa & Middle East and the EU.

For years, it's been said that the problems in Africa are largely the legacy of false borders imposed by colonial powers.

Today, a large part of the blame for the unrest in the Middle East is blamed on false borders imposed by colonial powers.

In both cases, it created 'countries' out of peoples with little or nothing in common and maybe even a history of enmity. We now see conflicts in those places that are partly (totally?) blamed on past meddling.

Why is it considered to have been 'bad', in hindsight, to have imposed a false political unity on African & ME countries yet a similar imposition on Britons is something to be desired?

Edited by MartinL

Unfortunately, according to news I've had from an organization that's been campaigning for 'Votes for Ex-Pats', it's likely that a vote in any EU Referendum will NOT be extended to ex-pats outside EU. So it appears that I, and other UK ex-pats in Thailand, will be disenfranchised on this one.

That is not so.

The EU Referendum Bill, which as far as I can see has recently passed all stages in Parliament and is just waiting Royal Assent states that eligibility to vote will include (inter alia) anyone who is registered to vote in UK General Elections or EU Parliament Elections. This includes those like myself who have registered as overseas voters, which anyone can do if they have lived outside the UK for less than 15 years.

I certainly intend to vote, albeit by proxy as that is the only practical way you can vote from relatively distant countries like Thailand.