Returning to the UK for NHS treatment no longer an option.

rubik101

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/expat-health/11571256/British-expats-from-outside-Europe-must-pay-for-NHS-hospital-care.html

Just to make those of you not aware of the situation, which seems to be a few judging by the numbers who say they will return to the UK for treatment, since April 2015, you will pay 150% of the price of the treatment. Accident and emergency is still free.

Very grey area,I know people who live here long term but maintain a UK address,return for 6 monthly checks and health care and have no problem whatsoever.

As always they go for the people who mostly have paid their taxes and made contributions to the UK system as opposed to all the other free loaders.

I as a UK citizen have no issue with older people returning for health care purposes,that was the reason people paid national insurance stamp,don't penalise your own because they turn their backs on the country that they have helped to maintain often over many years of living there.

Why would anyone want to travel all the way back to UK just for a check up ?

If anything more serious then you would be a permanently resident by the time you got to the top of the waiting list...

and why should we not if we wanted get the FREE Health Care, we paid into it for many years + with not getting the extra in pension every year, could argue there is no money over in Thailand for Hospital treatment, as for Private Health Care, is also a non starter for the older people..

​For sure in places close by, a cheap flight to UK is a different matter.. used to know many that would make appointments and fly back every year, for there check-ups, dentist and so on.

Hospitol staff in the UK can barely speak English so the chances of being asked where you reside is almost nil.....great also to see those that paid into a system for 50 years or more then retire out of the E.U. are penalized to save a paultry 500 million....whereas any Tom, Dick or Harry from Africa or some other sub human continent can arrive with aids, T.B, pregnant with triplets and get free health care without paying a single penny and cost the NHS an estimated 2 Billion a year.....politicians got their priorities right there hey

Shows how the UK or Great Britain is no longer "Great". Except a "great big free health care system" for Migrants who have contributed very little in a short time, in National Insurance.Whereas a lifetimes contributions from expats mean nothing . A sad reflection of what the country has become under the current Political class. Billions on Non Brits for health but for those with a British Passport born in the country, nothing!

Edited by kingalfred

I always thought the position was that if you returned and stated that you were now permanently resident in the UK (whether that's true or not) you were entitled to free care on the NHS. Has that changed?

That is true - what you need is 'ordinarily residence' status - but it's not straightforward to establish that you are/have become 'ordinarily resident' there - that is up to the official who processes your claim - it depends on things like why you are returning, how often and for how long you made previous visits to the UK, what kind of residence you have in the Uk etc etc. it can take from a short time up to 3 years to establish that depending on your circumstances. I might want to live in Germany in the future so would try to re-establish 'ordinarily residence' status in the UK before I go to get the EU health cert needed for free reciprocal health care in Germany.

It's also true what someone has written below - if you live in Thailand - why would you want to return to the UK NHS service for minor or even serious complaints when it is about to collapse unless you can't afford such treatment in Thailand.

You may well register at an address and give the illusion you are residing in UK but they do have integrated data base that will tell them exactly how long you are in UK. Could be a problem.

It's also a crime of fraud with quite severe penalties........ unless you return to Nigeria.

You may well register at an address and give the illusion you are residing in UK but they do have integrated data base that will tell them exactly how long you are in UK. Could be a problem.

Judging by other integrated data bases the uk govt have such as social services it will hardly ever be checked!

Whoever asks you at A&E if you live abroad especially if you have a strong UK accent I have lived all over the world and when back In the UK I always go and see the family doctor who I have known for over 30 years he has never questioned me as to where I live. officialy expats who have been out of the U.K. for more than 3 years are not entitled to the NHS for 3 months however if you are ex services this maybe different due to the supposed government armed force convent

This absolutely stinks, although I was aware of the possibility.

Many of us I'm sure still pay UK taxes in addition to the contributions made over a working lifetime. No doubt all the immigrant scum from the third world will still get it free.

Hopefully we will find a way around it.

Whoever asks you at A&E if you live abroad especially if you have a strong UK accent I have lived all over the world and when back In the UK I always go and see the family doctor who I have known for over 30 years he has never questioned me as to where I live. officialy expats who have been out of the U.K. for more than 3 years are not entitled to the NHS for 3 months however if you are ex services this maybe different due to the supposed government armed force convent

Can you provide a link for this info about the 3 months? Normally you need to stay in the UK for 180 days a year to qualify for residency at least for tax purposes, so I am surprised by your 3 months figure.

There are two sets of documents you need to examine in detail.

The first is the guidance forms which drive NHS hospitals on this subject:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-overseas-visitors-hospital-charging-regulations

The second of course is the current UK residency rules:

http://www.cambridgetax.co.uk/ctp/New_Residence_Rules.html

Take a look through them both to fully understand the picture, the bottom line however is that for expats that have been overseas for some years and are considered to be non-resident for UK tax purposes, free access to the NHS requires UK residency of three months or more, before you are eligible.

It was to be expected that government might renege on their pre election promise to allow UK pensioners who had paid 10 years NHS payments, free access on their return. What is unforgivable is that UK expats are now charged 150% of actual costs, without the chance of buying government insurance against it, the latter being available to asylum seekers, refugees and spouse visa holders, at a cost of 200 Pounds per year! It's scandalous and beyond contempt.

I have been away for 6 years this time, still have UK address and still registered at my local surgery as far as I know

Would expect to make a doctors appointment with no problem, as far as they know I don't get sick

Last time I heard, after 3 years your Doctors Registration is cancelled,best to phone up and find out! Doctors are paid per patient.

No one's going to ask you anything, it's mostly scare tactics.

There is no way you are going to be refused medical treatment if you are seriously ill, and arrive at a UK hospital.

What are they going to do, get security to remove you out of the premises and leave you in the car park?

You are right, it is only scare tactics.

Can you provide a link for this info about the 3 months? Normally you need to stay in the UK for 180 days a year to qualify for residency at least for tax purposes, so I am surprised by your 3 months figure.

For tax purposes?? Tell them to stick their taxes where the sun don't shine.