Re wiring hse

Sooo Upto Me

Anyone know how much it should cost to have a house fully electrical re wired? That's wages an materials Inc control box 2,500b. I've just paid 16,000b completed in 1 day. 7 Thai workers.

House is ground an 1st floor 3 bedrooms, Lounge, kitchen, 2 shower, 1 utility room.

Any feedback welcomed.

I've just had a quote for a complete rewire in Chiang Mai, 2 people, 7/8 days, 19,000. The owner of the business is a well qualified electrical engineer studying for his masters at CMU. Single story house, 14 sub-main circuits, 20 outlet points, 20 switch points, plus outside lighting (sala, pumps, photo cells etc) - everything boxed and in conduit and grounded. Existing consumer unit (box) not changed. Lighting was 280 per point, switch was 380 per point plus 200 per receptacle, 1.5 mill. for lighting ring mains and 2.5 for sockets.

EDIT: just to add, I wouldn't have thought that's a one day job, even if there are seven people doing it, it's a bit like making a baby, it still takes 9 months no matter how many people are involved.

we had the bottom floor of out house rewired by 2 qualified workers, cost 15,000 plus we bought all the power points, lights and wiring. It was a top job and took them not quite 3 days(also had the ceilings all replaced by a plasterer so the ceilings were open) then they came back and put up the light after the plasterer finished.

Just to be clear, the quote I described in post 2 above is for labour only, the revised quote is now for every single piece of wire, switch and receptacle in the house at 200 per point, total labour cost is 16,000 baht. The materials cost is estimated to be in under of 20k baht so circa 36k for everything 40 points, 14 sub main, 2 external sub main, 3 air con, 7 outside light (photocell).

Just to be clear, the quote I described in post 2 above is for labour only, the revised quote is now for every single piece of wire, switch and receptacle in the house at 200 per point, total labour cost is 16,000 baht. The materials cost is estimated to be in under of 20k baht so circa 36k for everything 40 points, 14 sub main, 2 external sub main, 3 air con, 7 outside light (photocell).

Sounds like a reasonable quote for that amount of work by a reputable contractor.

Since the Thais seem to hide junction boxes everywhere and anywhere up in the ceiling, I'd expect there to be a good amount of ceiling removed in the process. Does your quote include the cost of repairing the ceilings after they re-wire (new gypsum board, plastering and re-painting)?

I'd like to have the wiring in my home replaced as well, but not looking forward to having the ceilings ripped out with all that entails.

Sounds like a reasonable quote for that amount of work by a reputable contractor.

Since the Thais seem to hide junction boxes everywhere and anywhere up in the ceiling, I'd expect there to be a good amount of ceiling removed in the process. Does your quote include the cost of repairing the ceilings after they re-wire (new gypsum board, plastering and re-painting)?

I'd like to have the wiring in my home replaced as well, but not looking forward to having the ceilings ripped out with all that entails.

Mine is a single story house with a very large roof space/attic, everything is pretty easily accessible, there's only about two metres of cable in the walls, the rest is in the open.

.... it's a bit like making a baby, it still takes 9 months no matter how many people are involved.

Hmmm.

It would take forever if only one person is involved.

I heard from a friend of a building project that is about 100 sq. meters here in Chiang Mai. The crew is a man and woman and the cost is 200,000 baht up to what point I do not know. At this point I almost fainted. Impossible. Tall tales from Thailand maybe?

A lot depends on where you live . I live in rural north eastern Thailand . I took the local village electrician to Global House to buy the materials . I would doubt that I spent anything like as much as the figures quoted , though Bt16,000 seems nearer , I'm sure in a town or city would be more expensive .

I wired my house myself,, over time if you know how to do it it's easy

a local wanted to do it but he wanted to wire every swithch twice

which resulted in twice the copper and twice the cost, a westerner

electritian would do it properly,, one thing i did was to make sure

every switch connection was earthed and i ran 2 copper rods to

both sides of the house, is it overkill,,, never,,

rather kill over than kill me.

PS i had a hard time finding 3 core wiring,, twin and earth, seems no one

uses it in Thailand,, when i did find it at a big hardware shops i bought 4

rolls of 100 meter lengths, even that wasn't enough.

I got all the right stuff eventually from Thai Watsadu hardware shops.

16K sounds very reasonable if they used 3 core and earthed everything.

I rewired the g/f 3 bed house using 1.5 and 2.5mm 3 core cable. 12 way Consumer unit, new sockets and switches, some light fittings and split everything down onto separate circuits. New earthing rod and external socket for the pump. 18,000 baht for the materials alone.

Took 3 days with one Thai labourer pulling in the cables @ 500 baht a day.

Two core cable comes in at almost half the price here, but I insisted on 3 core. Another crazy foreigner.

Archived