Condo Hunters Show

Hey guys,

Recently, I got the idea to do a web based show, sort of like a house-hunters in Bangkok and Pattaya but focus on hot condo deals and discount property. It would feature me, a US national and an Aussie who have both been living here for a few years. We would go around trying to find great condos in the Bangkok and Pattaya areas.

Rather than hunt for a condo for a customer though, we'd just be exploring on our own. Not only would we check out the condos but we'd survey the area and see what's fun, useful or interesting nearby. I plan to make it not as serious as a real estate video but a lot more funny and entertaining. Just two dudes in their 30's, having fun and finding cool places.

Really though, we're in the brainstorming phase and coming up with the format for the show.

I'd really love to hear from you guys. Would a show like that be interesting to you? If so, what would you like to see in the show? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Edited by shiroboi

Sounds like an idea. The problem with most such things is that they tend to end up containing what seems like hours of talking heads and brainless prattle and very little of what the video is supposed to be about.

An example:

In 12 minutes of video I think you only see the actual breakfasts for about 10 seconds. All the rest is pointless dross that could have easily been covered in a 30-second voice-over. I really dont want to see the presenters at all in videos like this.

Sounds like an idea. The problem with most such things is that they tend to end up containing what seems like hours of talking heads and brainless prattle and very little of what the video is supposed to be about.

An example:

In 12 minutes of video I think you only see the actual breakfasts for about 10 seconds. All the rest is pointless dross that could have easily been covered in a 30-second voice-over. I really dont want to see the presenters at all in videos like this.

I see your point but wouldn't a 30 second video simply be a commercial or a product video. You don't really have a show without presentors or presentation.

But I get your gist, keep it focused on relevant content, show more condo and associated facts. I did want to maybe hit a few cool spots, "convenience store right around the corner, BTS is only a 400 meter walk, etc." That's typically what they don't cover in real estate videos. It's all model shots with very little else about the actual place and surrounding area. Trying to bring value and something different. Thanks for the feedback!

Good luck finding genuine bargains. If you manage it, the really interesting video would be the, "How to" guide.

I'm not so interested in creating how to videos, however, I did think of putting a Q&A section of the video where we answer house questions so there should be useful takaway information in every episode.

We'll do our best to find good deals. The bottom line is, if we don't provide real value, the show will fail.

I see your point but wouldn't a 30 second video simply be a commercial or a product video. You don't really have a show without presentors or presentation.

But I get your gist, keep it focused on relevant content, show more condo and associated facts. I did want to maybe hit a few cool spots, "convenience store right around the corner, BTS is only a 400 meter walk, etc." That's typically what they don't cover in real estate videos. It's all model shots with very little else about the actual place and surrounding area. Trying to bring value and something different. Thanks for the feedback!

My point was that you should make a 30-minute video that contains 30 minutes of real content that tells people something. Not 1 minute of content and 29 minutes of pointless dross and waffle.

Some of the most informative TV programmes I have ever seen have only voice-overs and no presenters on-screen at all.

So basically copying this Thai website? Could work wink.pngthumbsup.gif

http://thinkofliving.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/thinkofliving/videos

RAZZ

Similar business plan I guess but with 100% less thai and 100% more beer. My goal is for this to be entertaining enough for people to watch who aren't just in the market for a new condo. I really want it to feel less like a corporate infomercial and more like two independent guys going around and discovering deals.

Thai people are already familiar with thailand and many areas but many farang aren't. Thus, showing the surrounding area has value. At least in my opinion.

My point was that you should make a 30-minute video that contains 30 minutes of real content that tells people something. Not 1 minute of content and 29 minutes of pointless dross and waffle.

Some of the most informative TV programmes I have ever seen have only voice-overs and no presenters on-screen at all.

The magical word there is "informative". Informative content gets straight to the point. In essence, it's a straight commercial with just the facts. Informative content rarely goes viral. I need this to go viral or at least hit a certain threshold for sharing. I'm trying to do something different. If the hosts are good, most people don't mind a little banter between shots. Obviously, there's a balance between doing a show with guys just wasting time and a straight commercial. Maybe a 2:1 content to waffle ratio.

I would be more interested in a real video recording of the upkeep state of condo units rented out to 30+ yo farangs...

I think that would vary from farang to farang. Know of any 30+ year old condos?

Premier Condominium in Soi Sukhumvit 24.

I would be more interested in a real video recording of the upkeep state of condo units rented out to 30+ yo farangs...

I think that would vary from farang to farang. Know of any 30+ year old condos?

Premier Condominium in Soi Sukhumvit 24.

Thanks for the tip, could be a really interesting episode.

Are you going for entertainment value? Then it basically comes down to your personas and the underlying theme is almost irrelevant.

If you are going for informative then finding “hot condo deals” in Bangkok/Pattaya might limit your audience a bit.

I would broaden it to anything related to buying, building, renovating, and owning a condo in Thailand.

Part of this could of course be hunting for “discount property” but for entertainment value, it’s probably more interesting to look at the high end market, i.e. what does luxury living cost in Thailand and what does it look like? Here it would also be interesting to visit some of the businesses that cater to luxury living.

Are you going for entertainment value? Then it basically comes down to your personas and the underlying theme is almost irrelevant.

If you are going for informative then finding “hot condo deals” in Bangkok/Pattaya might limit your audience a bit.

I would broaden it to anything related to buying, building, renovating, and owning a condo in Thailand.

Part of this could of course be hunting for “discount property” but for entertainment value, it’s probably more interesting to look at the high end market, i.e. what does luxury living cost in Thailand and what does it look like? Here it would also be interesting to visit some of the businesses that cater to luxury living.

I'm still exploring the format and business model. I'd hope to build a business around potential lead generation but still try to keep it as independent as possible. A good example of commercial content with entertainment value is the "Make it Blend" show, where the host (if you haven't seen it). Blends up various things in a blender. It's obvious he works for the blender company but it's still very entertaining. I've been consulting with veteran real estate professionals. Just trying to get the right formula and idea. I think there's definitely a curiosity factor with foreign buyers, what's it like, what features does it have, what's the neighborhood like? Those are questions I'd like to answer.

hhgz - You're absolutely right. "Great deals" is a subjective term but it will be up to me the host/producer to try to make that decision and back it up with reasons.

If you are going for informative then finding hot condo deals in Bangkok/Pattaya might limit your audience a bit.

Part of this could of course be hunting for discount property but for entertainment value, its probably more interesting to look at the high end market, i.e. what does luxury living cost in Thailand and what does it look like? Here it would also be interesting to visit some of the businesses that cater to luxury living.

I'm still exploring the format and business model. I'd hope to build a business around potential lead generation but still try to keep it as independent as possible. A good example of commercial content with entertainment value is the "Make it Blend" show, where the host (if you haven't seen it). Blends up various things in a blender. It's obvious he works for the blender company but it's still very entertaining. I've been consulting with veteran real estate professionals. Just trying to get the right formula and idea. I think there's definitely a curiosity factor with foreign buyers, what's it like, what features does it have, what's the neighborhood like? Those are questions I'd like to answer.

hhgz - You're absolutely right. "Great deals" is a subjective term but it will be up to me the host/producer to try to make that decision and back it up with reasons.

Nothing much to blend. Condos in Thailand can be basically be divided into 3 periods: '80s, '90s and from 2003 onwards.

The last period would mean grandeur lobby and common facilities but shoebox-size personal space.