Incompetence or Scamming?

menzies233

We have a small two way road outside our home, no other houses for 500M in one direction nothing for more than 500 in the other direction. The road is a little narrow but still enough to get 2 cars passing, white broken lines etc. as a mid divider, the road is fine, no pot holes nothing.

2KM down the same road in the same village and sub district, this road turns into a death trap of potholes, some about 8 inches deep, others have been filled with mounds of tar that have just be thrown in from the back of a truck, this mess covers over 1KM and runs right past the local Orbitor.

At the other side of our road is a main highway that carries all sorts of traffic from the 40 ton trucks all the way to motorcycles. It has been left to rot for the last year and has some absolutely LETHAL potholes if you do not know they are there, in fact there have been a number of pretty nasty accidents usually caused by trucks trying to swerve to avoid the holes, ending up in properties at the side of the road or into oncoming traffic. At night the road is lethal if you do not know the layout of the craters and ruts.

Well, to the point of my post, did they repair the two lane road full of potholes? Did they more deservedly repair the highway of death? Well, guess what, they spent the entire day ripping up 3/4 of the perfectly good road outside my place. They have scarpered tonight leaving it impassable for cars, but no warning signs either end - Just waiting for the drunks coming along later in their pick ups. They have churned up 3/4 of the road leaving a strip about wide enough for a motorcycle.....so you can picture what is going to happen!

Somchai will be heading up here tonight, pissed on Lao Kao, in his pick up, (the road is unlit) Drunken dipshit Deng will be on the correct side of the road drunk on his motorbike, Somchai hits the section of road that is like the surface of the moon and pulls over onto the "Nice smooth bit" but the wrong side.....watch this space.

You have to wonder the mentality of whoever is planning this sort of thing, there must be backhanders doing the rounds somewhere.

We have a small two way road outside our home, no other houses for 500M in one direction nothing for more than 500 in the other direction. The road is a little narrow but still enough to get 2 cars passing, white broken lines etc. as a mid divider, the road is fine, no pot holes nothing.

2KM down the same road in the same village and sub district, this road turns into a death trap of potholes, some about 8 inches deep, others have been filled with mounds of tar that have just be thrown in from the back of a truck, this mess covers over 1KM and runs right past the local Orbitor.

At the other side of our road is a main highway that carries all sorts of traffic from the 40 ton trucks all the way to motorcycles. It has been left to rot for the last year and has some absolutely LETHAL potholes if you do not know they are there, in fact there have been a number of pretty nasty accidents usually caused by trucks trying to swerve to avoid the holes, ending up in properties at the side of the road or into oncoming traffic. At night the road is lethal if you do not know the layout of the craters and ruts.

Well, to the point of my post, did they repair the two lane road full of potholes? Did they more deservedly repair the highway of death? Well, guess what, they spent the entire day ripping up 3/4 of the perfectly good road outside my place. They have scarpered tonight leaving it impassable for cars, but no warning signs either end - Just waiting for the drunks coming along later in their pick ups. They have churned up 3/4 of the road leaving a strip about wide enough for a motorcycle.....so you can picture what is going to happen!

Somchai will be heading up here tonight, pissed on Lao Kao, in his pick up, (the road is unlit) Drunken dipshit Deng will be on the correct side of the road drunk on his motorbike, Somchai hits the section of road that is like the surface of the moon and pulls over onto the "Nice smooth bit" but the wrong side.....watch this space.

You have to wonder the mentality of whoever is planning this sort of thing, there must be backhanders doing the rounds somewhere.

The locals are better at spotting the warning twigs sticking out of the roadworks than we are.

Same here in the sticks. Good roads are being re-surfaced while 500 meters away a road that consists only of pot-holes gets no attention.

At least what the "Sticks" are concerned: Roads leading to the homes of "important people" are well maintained. Perfectly normal, after all, we are living in Thailand.

Cheers.

The locals are better at spotting the warning twigs sticking out of the roadworks than we are.

It often depends how drunk they are here, I have pulled a few of them out of the ditches over the years. They just get pissed up with a carload of people and end up running off the roads, never mind potholes.

Same here in the sticks. Good roads are being re-surfaced while 500 meters away a road that consists only of pot-holes gets no attention.

At least what the "Sticks" are concerned: Roads leading to the homes of "important people" are well maintained. Perfectly normal, after all, we are living in Thailand.

Cheers.

What I could not understand is why the road outside the Orbitor was like the surface of the moon, yet they ripped up our street. Normally the Orbitor is kept almost perfect. Just a bit strange to destroy a perfectly good road with only my home, no businesses or anything, you would have expected them to have come and offered me a Special Offer....like "resurface your road for 20K" like they tried when EGAT was putting in electric poles.

We were offered a new electric supply for 20K, I told them to sling their hook, 3 months later it was put in for free. (The Kamnans of these villages are rotten to the core)

Cheers.

What I could not understand is why the road outside the Orbitor was like the surface of the moon, yet they ripped up our street. Normally the Orbitor is kept almost perfect. Just a bit strange to destroy a perfectly good road with only my home, no businesses or anything, you would have expected them to have come and offered me a Special Offer....like "resurface your road for 20K" like they tried when EGAT was putting in electric poles.

We were offered a new electric supply for 20K, I told them to sling their hook, 3 months later it was put in for free. (The Kamnans of these villages are rotten to the core)

Could it be that the road builder made a mistake and dug up the wrong stretch of road?

Ive seen this & often wondered at it, I read what might be the answer on another thread the other day. Apparently the road contractors get paid by the km repaired so they can repair a good road much quicker, & make more money, than repairing a bad bit, & this being Thailand probably no one checks up on what the contractor has done as the boss & the gov officials involved are probably buddy buddies down at the local golf course anyway... TIT

Reminds me of what was a dirt road near my home. Two contractors were hired. They started at both ends and met in the middle, almost. There is about a hundred meter section that was left unpaved. Both contractors said they followed their contracts. Coming from either direction, you are driving on a newly paved road and then you hit the unpaved section that is still mud and filled with potholes. I do think they found the guilty contractor because he was forced to repave his entire stretch because of such a poor job.

Seems that you don't have a problem with the lethal local drunks in pickups carrying loads of passengers ot those on motorcycles but you do have a problem with road repairs that could probably be avoided if the drivers were sober.

Don't you think that you need to re-evaluate your priorities?

Edited by Alration

Thought I would share some photos of what we are having to put up with now, my wife can no longer get her motorcycle out. I had to get out of this twice today and it was tough going even in a 4 x 4. It has been like this for two days now. As you can see the left and right turn out of our place is pretty much impassable.

post-242885-0-47277000-1450425592_thumb. top of my drive

post-242885-0-52864600-1450425601_thumb. Road going left

post-242885-0-01242200-1450425610_thumb. Road to the right.

post-242885-0-73164800-1450425618_thumb. and to the right again.

Edited by menzies233

Seems that you don't have a problem with the lethal local drunks in pickups carrying loads of passengers ot those on motorcycles but you do have a problem with road repairs that could probably be avoided if the drivers were sober.

Don't you think that you need to re-evaluate your priorities?

My priorities are fine, I don't go out on these roads at nights, if the local drunks want to ride around and drive around and kill each other - up to them, it does not affect me one way or another, what affects me is having my access to civilization cut off because someone is getting a few bob backhander. It would not make a difference to me if a thousand of them were squashed on the road tonight, providing I was able to drive out of my own driveway and get to the 7/11 or my bank. I would however expect DELETED to compensate me for the expense of cleaning their blood and guts off my truck after having to drive over them.

It is freedom of Choice, if they drive drunk - as they do around here, up to them, no one forces them, no one prevents them.

They choose to drive drunk, they have a choice, I want to be able to come and go from my home - not quite the same thing is it? Try and engage your brain before posting crap.

For me, I have been denied the choice to even leave my own home because some greedy retards decided to hack up a perfectly good road, probably for a backhander!

Edited by seedy
Politics

Thought I would share some photos of what we are having to put up with now, my wife can no longer get her motorcycle out. I had to get out of this twice today and it was tough going even in a 4 x 4. It has been like this for two days now. As you can see the left and right turn out of our place is pretty much impassable.

attachicon.gifDriveway.jpg top of my drive

attachicon.gifLeft-Side.jpg Road going left

attachicon.gifRight-Side.jpg Road to the right.

attachicon.gifRight-Turn.jpg and to the right again.

You just need to have some patience and wait until the hot season starts again, and everything will melt nicely together again.

malt25

Found this on another forum so can't link the source.

Each amphur is subdivided into tambons, each with a local government office called the TAO or Tambon Administrative Organisation (pronounced "or-bor-tor" in Thai) that deals locally with roads, waste collection, animals, construction permits and more. In urban areas, the local Muncipal Administrative Organisation (Thesaban) is the local-government body equivalent to the TAO.

malt25

Found this on another forum so can't link the source.

Each amphur is subdivided into tambons, each with a local government office called the TAO or Tambon Administrative Organisation (pronounced "or-bor-tor" in Thai) that deals locally with roads, waste collection, animals, construction permits and more. In urban areas, the local Muncipal Administrative Organisation (Thesaban) is the local-government body equivalent to the TAO.

Thanks for that :-)

I wonder if the OP has somehow upset a local official & the road modification is a way of letting him know someone is a bit pissed off ???

Just wondering.