JAS, True announced the winners

JAS, True announced the winners

30275269-01_big.jpg

National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission's members announced the bid result.

BANGKOK: Jasmine International and True Corp were announced the winners of two 900MHz mobile phone licences.

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission announced that the two companies were the winners.

The auction was over after no bid was submitted for the 199th round.

It was announced that JAS won Lot 1 licence with the bid worth Bt75.65 billion. Meanwhile, True won Lot 2 licence with the bid worth Bt76.3 billion.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/JAS-True-announced-the-winners-30275269.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-19

That will be a huge disappointment to DTAC and Telenor but they may be able to pick it up from True if they can't afford it.

As the government has told all the bidders to keep their prices to a minimum I sometimes wonder if any of the telecom companies will ever make a profit.

True, Jasmine win Bt151.95 billion 4G auction

BANGKOK: Thailand's largest fully-integrated telecoms service provider True Corp and broadband operator Jasmine International were the surprise winners of a second auction for two 4G spectrum licences valued at 151.95 billion baht ($4.2 billion), the regulator said on Saturday.

Market expectations were for the country’s two top mobile firms, Advanced Info Service Pcl (AIS) and Total Access Communication Pcl (TAC) to win the bid.

Thailand’s $6.7 billion mobile market is dominated by the top three players -- AIS, TAC and True Move, a unit of True Corp -- and analysts expect competition will intensify now that Jasmine has won a licence to become the fourth operator.

Analysts said the high level of the bids could put pressure on True and Jasmine’s financial position, which could increase the risks of an equity issue.

Before the bidding closed on Friday, shares in Thailand’s telecoms sector slid to a three-year low as investors focused on the cost of 4G mobile licences and the possible entry of a new player that could spark a price war.

The 4G auction is considered a major step in supporting the government’s digital economy policy, which is expected to receive 232 billion baht ($6.42 billion) from the two sets of auctions held in November and this week.

True, 18 percent owned by China Mobile and controlled by billionaire Dhanin Chearavanont’s Charoen Pokphand Group, offered prices at 76.3 billion baht, while Jasmine bid at 75.65 billion baht, the regulator said.

After bidding process, which took 65 hours, the bids were nearly six times higher than the value of the spectrum and almost double the winning bids in the previous auction, the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) said.

AIS, 23 percent owned by Singapore Telecommunications Ltd , and True won bids worth combined 80.78 billion baht in November’s auction.

AIS, which has the largest subscriber base, needs a new licence to expand coverage after it lags behind rivals on 4G services, while TAC wants a licence to reduce its costs and to stop True from gaining market share.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/True-Jasmine-win-Bt151-95-billion-4G-auction-30275273.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-19

probably a good result for consumers as JAS will now be a new (fourth player) in the Thai mobile market and will presumably want to build a customer base quickly. A bad result for profitability in the sector and I would think all of the stocks involved (incl those who lost out) will be under pressure on Monday, that includes JAS who have offered more than (almost 2x) their current market value to win this concession. JAS currently has no network and no (mobile) customers; they had better have a good story to tell or the shares are going to get crushed when they reopen next week. Echoes of the CTH premier League bid here!

This also leaves DTAC in a vulnerable position, most commentators saw this as a must win licence for them as their current concession runs out in 2018 (from memory).

Edited by wordchild

I understand these are different frequencies than the ones currently used. But I still don't understand the way this news is reported. Like Thailand has no 4G at all currently. While many companies do offer it already, just on higher frequencies. These newly auctioned lower frequencies should give better reception in local countryside and inside buildings. Other than that there is not much difference. As for people who said Thailand doesn't even have propper 3G. I am sure you either never come outside of BKK or don't use a proper provider. I have been with True corp for quite some years now and have enjoyed great 3G pretty much anywhere in the country, and 4G coverage is expanding slowly outside of the cities as well. Once these new networks come online this should improve 4G coverage dramatically. So good news all in all.

Meanwhile, in the real world, Angola, and Kazakhstan have 4G, but Thailand does not. Shame on the leaders for failing so miserably, on being able to make this happen. They are still in the auction stages! I realize a few companies have very limited coverage. But, this is something that should have been fast tracked many years ago.

My guess is that Jasmine are looking at some kind of fixed wireless broadband offering.

I am sure that's the plan, as you say, but they only have 3 million or so broadband customers even if all of them switched to JAS for mobile (unlikely) it would not come close to justifying the price they have just paid for the concession; and that's before you allow for the cost of network build etc. AIS have 43 million mobile customers and a network and they didn't want to pay this price!

JAS will need to demonstrate why they think this will work and they will need to show they have some serious financial backing (a Korean company has been rumoured) or I feel the shares will get hit very hard.

Edited by wordchild

I understand these are different frequencies than the ones currently used. But I still don't understand the way this news is reported. Like Thailand has no 4G at all currently. While many companies do offer it already, just on higher frequencies. These newly auctioned lower frequencies should give better reception in local countryside and inside buildings. Other than that there is not much difference. As for people who said Thailand doesn't even have propper 3G. I am sure you either never come outside of BKK or don't use a proper provider. I have been with True corp for quite some years now and have enjoyed great 3G pretty much anywhere in the country, and 4G coverage is expanding slowly outside of the cities as well. Once these new networks come online this should improve 4G coverage dramatically. So good news all in all.

The problem is that the 4G networks in Thailand are only 4G by name, as the speeds they achieve are less than a good 3G network

Here's a speed test of DTAC 4G compared to real LTE in Korea.

post-62077-0-00070500-1450518691_thumb.ppost-62077-0-54593300-1450518747_thumb.p

When I see speeds like this, then I'll agree; Thailand has a 4G network.

Not holding my breath

The problem is that the 4G networks in Thailand are only 4G by name, as the speeds they achieve are less than a good 3G network

attachicon.gifIMG_2899.PNGattachicon.gifIMG_2898.PNG

Not holding my breath

You wouldn't have had to hold your breath long.

This is AIS 4G, measured today in Sakaeo City:

post-48397-0-85992500-1450521663_thumb.p

If you remember anything from school. 900mzh Thailand infrastructure of telecommunications is still an ANALOG system. I'm exhausted teaching stupid people how to spent money and Thai's are the worst who don't understand technology only pretty pictures on TV.

Not holding my breath

hehe touche, nice speeds there!

Not holding my breath

exactly and true 4g

Screenshot_2015-12-19-19-11-50.jpg

Not holding my breath

exactly and true 4g

Screenshot_2015-12-19-19-11-50.jpg

guess its time to bin DTAC....

Not holding my breath

I wouldn't be crowing about Korean speeds either if that's the best they can come up with.

Not holding my breath

I wouldn't be crowing about Korean speeds either if that's the best they can come up with.

Crowing? umm no, just a comparison with my experience of DTAC 4G..... which having seen the posts from other networks, I conceded that I should change carrier....

I doubt that is the best they can come up with though, being as they are ranked as the country with the highest average connection speed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Internet_connection_speeds

caw caw, caw caw

Lucky you.... Neither myself or any of my work colleagues get a consistent 3G coverage.... maybe about 10-20% of the time.