Bullied by teachers, many LGBT Cambodians drop out of school

geovalin

BANGKOK, Dec 18 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Three out of five LGBT people in Cambodia say they have been bullied at school, with many being tormented by teachers and dropping out as a result, rights advocates have found.

The Cambodian Center for Human Rights surveyed 245 lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people, aged 15 to 72, around the country and found that 63 percent had been bullied as students.

Of those who were bullied, 42 percent suffered often or on a daily basis, while 17 percent said their teachers were the perpetrators, the survey found.

"I raised the issue with my own teacher regarding his inappropriate speech," a transgender man studying for a bachelor's degree in the capital Phnom Penh was quoted as saying in the report.

"My teacher said, 'You are totally different than others in the class. You are not a man, please act and present yourself as a real girl.'"

Another transgender man, a 19-year-old student in Kampong Chhnang province northwest of Phnom Penh, told researchers he was a good student, but was frequently punished by his teacher.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/cambodia-gay-education-idUSL8N1471XL20151218

If they are confused by their gender then how can they expect others to understand? blink.png

True enough.

Meantime most people do not care what they do.....but many people have an opinion about the LGBT community, so to speak.

The way I see it is like this:

If you never come into contact with anyone from the LGBT community or have to interact with anyone in the LGBT community most people would say they do not really care.

However, if an when you do come in contact or have to interact with anyone deemed as being within that LGBT social circle, many people could or would feel awkward while some people would feel uncomfortable considering everything or anything that could be or would be entailed ...and rather not have to be involved.

Of course bullying should not be practiced or tolerated but according to the psychology on the issue, the experts claim that it is human natural to reject what is not understood to be socially normal when practiced in an environment where say 90 to 99 percent of the people do not practice what the LGBT social circles do practice.

There will always be a percent of people that reactive negatively or reject the practices of the LGBT social circle.

In other words they do not necessarily reject the person rather they react to and or reject the known lifestyle practices.

In other words if they had no idea at all that this person or that person are amongst the small percent of the LGBT social circle they would treat them like they would everyone else....but.... if it is obvious to them or once it is revealed or exposed to them that this person or that person or those persons are amongst the LGBT social circle then a notable percent of the people reject the practices....while all too often also rejecting the person.

It is like people who say: I do not associate with or want to associate with any person or people who drink alcohol or smoke tobacco or consumes recreational drugs.

It is not the person rather it is what they practice so I reject the practices and in effect have to reject the person.

Just saying....while meantime I do not care what they do or practice as long as it does not effect me in any negative way.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

If they are confused by their gender then how can they expect others to understand? blink.png

True enough.

Meantime most people do not care what they do.....but many people have an opinion about the LGBT community, so to speak.

The way I see it is like this:

If you never come into contact with anyone from the LGBT community or have to interact with anyone in the LGBT community most people would say they do not really care.

However, if an when you do come in contact or have to interact with anyone deemed as being within that LGBT social circle, many people could or would feel awkward while some people would feel uncomfortable considering everything or anything that could be or would be entailed ...and rather not have to be involved.

Of course bullying should not be practiced or tolerated but according to the psychology on the issue, the experts claim that it is human natural to reject what is not understood to be socially normal when practiced in an environment where say 90 to 99 percent of the people do not practice what the LGBT social circles do practice.

There will always be a percent of people that reactive negatively or reject the practices of the LGBT social circle.

In other words they do not necessarily reject the person rather they react to and or reject the known lifestyle practices.

In other words if they had no idea at all that this person or that person are amongst the small percent of the LGBT social circle they would treat them like they would everyone else....but.... if it is obvious to them or once it is revealed or exposed to them that this person or that person or those persons are amongst the LGBT social circle then a notable percent of the people reject the practices....while all too often also rejecting the person.

It is like people who say: I do not associate with or want to associate with any person or people who drink alcohol or smoke tobacco or consumes recreational drugs.

It is not the person rather it is what they practice so I reject the practices and in effect have to reject the person.

Just saying....while meantime I do not care what they do or practice as long as it does not effect me in any negative way.

Cheers

Bloody hell,total confusion.By the way,it's not a lifestyle choice,it's just the way it is.