Koh Kong or Poipet?

I'm in Phnom Penh planning to go back to Bangkok in the next few days and I was wondering which border crossing would you recommend.

I was planning to take the direct bus, crossing through Poipet but I just saw other threads about the Koh Kong crossing.

It took me about 4 hours to cross through Poipet on my way here. Is the Koh Kong crossing any less crowded?

I'm basically just wondering which border crossing would get me to Bangkok faster.

Thanks in advance.

Driving;

Phnom Pehn- Batt- poi pet at least 7 hours

Poi Pet to Bangkok 4

Phnom Pehn- Koh Kong 4 hours

KK-Trat- Bangkok at least 8-9 hours

used the kk (hat Lek) crossing last month, very very few tourists , took me about 20 minutes and i had a car i had to clear

I think Aranyaprathet will be faster as there you can take a direct bus to Bangkok.

If coming to Hat Lek then you first have to take a +/- 1.5 hour mini bus to Trat Bus Station and then on to a Bus to Bangkok !

And Hat Lek is further away from BKK

• 1 month later...

Driving;

Phnom Pehn- Batt- poi pet at least 7 hours

Poi Pet to Bangkok 4

Phnom Pehn- Koh Kong 4 hours

KK-Trat- Bangkok at least 8-9 hours

used the kk (hat Lek) crossing last month, very very few tourists , took me about 20 minutes and i had a car i had to clear

Wow you drive slow ;)

For me, Phnom Penh-Batt-Poipet is around 6 hours but I agree that it depends on traffic volumes and road condition. In the past drivers have driven me between Poipet and Phnom Penh in under 5 hours including a quick meal stop, however, 5.5-6 is more realistic.

Poipet or rather, Aranyaprathet to Bangkok takes just 3 hours. However, it depends on which part of Bangkok you are going to. Nong Chok/Lad Krabang/Minburi is as little as 2h45m away, while downtown (Din Daeng, Sukhumvit lower sois, Silom etc.) is 3-3.5 depending on the time of day and whether you use the expressway or not. By not using the expressway you are looking at more like 4 hours or even more, except during really off-peak periods like late at night or on Sundays.

Phnom Penh - Koh Kong is indeed around 4 but often 4.5.

KK-Trat-Bangkok should be no more than 6 hours. It's only just over 400km from KK to downtown Bangkok.

The Koh Kong crossing is still the second busiest crossing with Thailand after Aran/Poipet. Indeed it generally doesn't take long to clear, though occasionally there have been groups of Japanese/western tourists. However, early in the morning or late in the evening, almost certainly there'll be no one.

• 10 months later...
On 1/28/2016 at 7:50 PM, Tomtomtom69 said:

Wow you drive slow ;)

For me, Phnom Penh-Batt-Poipet is around 6 hours but I agree that it depends on traffic volumes and road condition. In the past drivers have driven me between Poipet and Phnom Penh in under 5 hours including a quick meal stop, however, 5.5-6 is more realistic.

Poipet or rather, Aranyaprathet to Bangkok takes just 3 hours. However, it depends on which part of Bangkok you are going to. Nong Chok/Lad Krabang/Minburi is as little as 2h45m away, while downtown (Din Daeng, Sukhumvit lower sois, Silom etc.) is 3-3.5 depending on the time of day and whether you use the expressway or not. By not using the expressway you are looking at more like 4 hours or even more, except during really off-peak periods like late at night or on Sundays.

Phnom Penh - Koh Kong is indeed around 4 but often 4.5.

KK-Trat-Bangkok should be no more than 6 hours. It's only just over 400km from KK to downtown Bangkok.

The Koh Kong crossing is still the second busiest crossing with Thailand after Aran/Poipet. Indeed it generally doesn't take long to clear, though occasionally there have been groups of Japanese/western tourists. However, early in the morning or late in the evening, almost certainly there'll be no one.

Koh kong never seem very busy actually, are you sure it's the second most used ?