Teaching Job, Visa, WP

helicondelta

I'm going to Bangkok next week and I was wondering about the prospects of finding a teaching job so that I can extend my stay beyond the 90 days granted by the tourist visa.

I hold a bachelor degree and have some teaching experience. Ideally, I'm looking for a part-time teaching job that would allow me to stay in the country for at least one year.

So how would you recommend that I go about finding a teaching job? Should I search online or visit the schools in person?

Also, assuming that I find a job, is it realistic to expect a long term visa (one year or more)?

Thanks in advance.

Your prospects are good, although your timing is not perfect. The big hiring season happens March= May. Your honours degree will entitle you to a work permit, and get the waiver needed from the teachers' council.

My advice- research and find the schools you want to go for, and then visit. Good schools will offer all necessary work permit and visa assistance.

Part time is not as easy as it used to be, as most decent schools now seem to require 8-4 style attendance, but still possible in terms of only attending contact hours.

[EDIT: I would recommend looking at English or Bilingual Programme schools.]

Edited by Slip

Where are you planning to live? I am not Bangkok based, so can't help with specific schools, but as I said look for bilingual/ English programme schools- the pay and conditions are (generally) better. You should be prepared to do a bit of leg work yourself though. If you get a job with a good school they will sort you a visa extension, but you will have to change your visa before that can happen, which means leaving the country.

If you want to go the work permit/extension based on work routine you will likely need to work full time. Also at this point it is mid semester. Many schools will not begin the process easily now...and may elect to wait until the new term mid May begins. A lot of paper and expense for 2 months is the reason.

Also they typically consider the first 60-90 days probationary and that would bring you to end of term. If you can re-think your plan and arrive in April a much better prospect of finding a good job.

Check Ajarn.com for openings:

*Disallowed link removed*

Edited by Scott
link edited out

Strictly speaking no- There are Bachelors and Honours Bachelors. BA for the first, and BA (Hons) for the second. However people often refer to them interchangeably.

Is a Bachelors Degree the same as an Honours Degree? I'm not familiar with the terminology.

Strictly speaking no- There are Bachelors and Honours Bachelors. BA for the first, and BA (Hons) for the second. However people often refer to them interchangeably.

Is a Bachelors Degree the same as an Honours Degree? I'm not familiar with the terminology.

What?

Bachelor Degrees - can be awarded "first class" or 2:1, 2:2 or "pass". First class, 2:1 and 2:2 are bachelor degrees awarded with honors.

They are not first and second.

I think you misunderstand. I was referring to the two items in my list in the second sentence. A Bachelor's degree is a 'B.A.' for example, whereas an honours degree is a 'B.A. (Hons).' A B.A. is not the same as a B.A. Honours, as it does not have the honours gradings you mentioned. Well that was my understanding at least, although my knowledge is 20 odd years old.

What?

Bachelor Degrees - can be awarded "first class" or 2:1, 2:2 or "pass". First class, 2:1 and 2:2 are bachelor degrees awarded with honors.

They are not first and second.

Where are you planning to live? I am not Bangkok based, so can't help with specific schools, but as I said look for bilingual/ English programme schools- the pay and conditions are (generally) better. You should be prepared to do a bit of leg work yourself though. If you get a job with a good school they will sort you a visa extension, but you will have to change your visa before that can happen, whish means leaving the country.

TR can be converted to B, I think a 30 day stamp as well BUT the punter may not have the time which means going to Lao, spending 10k and if paperwork is screwed up, doing it 2x

So, in the end visa run highly likely

Where are you planning to live? I am not Bangkok based, so can't help with specific schools, but as I said look for bilingual/ English programme schools- the pay and conditions are (generally) better. You should be prepared to do a bit of leg work yourself though. If you get a job with a good school they will sort you a visa extension, but you will have to change your visa before that can happen, whish means leaving the country.er

TR can be converted to B, I think a 30 day stamp as well BUT the punter may not have the time which means going to Lao, spending 10k and if paperwork is screwed up, doing it 2x

So, in the end visa run highly likely

30-day visa exempt entries can be converted to a non-B, but you still need 14 or 21 days (I think it depends on the immigration office/officer) remaining on your visa to do this.

OP, in case this doesn't make sense to you, the way the process works here is 1) secure a job, 2) get a letter and/or teaching license from the teacher's council, 3) convert your TR visa or 30-day visa exempt entry (with 14 or 21 days remaining on either one) to a non-immigrant B visa, and 4) apply for the work permit. After that, you will need to extend the non-B visa, but worry about that later. The key for you is making sure you have enough time on your visa to apply for the non-B. But the letter/teaching license can take a while, so unless you have 60 days remaining on your current visa, you will probably have to do another visa or border run.

As for finding work, as has been stated in the thread, it's not a good time. Public schools are coming up on the second half of the second semester. But international schools and privates that follow the international schedule will be on winter break right now. It's possible some teachers will not return after the holidays and many of them will need to hire immediately.

My advice is find an affordable guesthouse in central Bangkok. Think about where you want to live and hit the schools in those areas. Walk in and ask for the English office or EP office. Then ask to speak with the person in charge of hiring. Also, check the internet. Ajarn.com is the big website. And hit up some language schools at the malls.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, eldragon.

Regarding point 1 - Does the job need to meet any requirements in terms of minimum work hours and salary?

Regarding point 2 - I was under the impression that a teaching license was required only for full time jobs in public schools. Is the letter from the teacher's council something easy to obtain?

I'm assuming that points 3 and 4 are formalities that are unlikely to turn into stumbling blocks. If I run out of time on my visa and have to do a visa run, it won't be the end of the world.

Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks for the advice, eldragon.

Regarding point 1 - Does the job need to meet any requirements in terms of minimum work hours and salary?

Regarding point 2 - I was under the impression that a teaching license was required only for full time jobs in public schools. Is the letter from the teacher's council something easy to obtain?

I'm assuming that points 3 and 4 are formalities that are unlikely to turn into stumbling blocks. If I run out of time on my visa and have to do a visa run, it won't be the end of the world.

Thanks again for the advice.

I dont know if there's a minimum salary or number of hours worked needed for a work permit. I once got a work permit from a company that used me 4 hours per week, but I always assumed they were cooking their books somehow or needed teachers on paper to satisfy a quota or something. I dont know for sure which jobs require a teacher's license, but I cant imagine any school would back you for a work permit if you didnt commit to full time work. Best bet for something that will get you a work permit but wont necessarily require a ton of hours is a language school.

Another idea- If you dont need the money- is take a Thai language course. You can get an ED visa for up to a year and only have to attend classes a few hours per week.

I keep reading a lot about different kinds of visas, extensions, non-B this, stamp that. I am married to a Thai national. Does that make things any less daunting for me? We plan to retire there in two years. I was thinking about a teaching gig. I have a BS in Business management, though admittedly my teaching experience is limited to Sunday school for four years. I really did enjoy seeing young faces absorb information though and thought it might be cool to teach English in Thailand. Any comments on visas as the long time husband of a Thai national would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I ran a criminal background check on myself in the state I live in. Ti was cheap and instantaneous. Should I print out copies and save a .pdf file, or will some other documentation be needed?

Edited by MajarTheLion

I keep reading a lot about different kinds of visas, extensions, non-B this, stamp that. I am married to a Thai national. Does that make things any less daunting for me? We plan to retire there in two years. I was thinking about a teaching gig. I have a BS in Business management, though admittedly my teaching experience is limited to Sunday school for four years. I really did enjoy seeing young faces absorb information though and thought it might be cool to teach English in Thailand. Any comments on visas as the long time husband of a Thai national would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I ran a criminal background check on myself in the state I live in. Ti was cheap and instantaneous. Should I print out copies and save a .pdf file, or will some other documentation be needed?

You can apply for a Non-O Visa. Then by meeting some financial and residency requirements you can get yearly extensions based upon your married status. You are allowed to work legally on this type of Visa. There is ample written about this process if you search the forum.