American victim of burglary at his North Pattaya apartment

webfact

American victim of burglary at his North Pattaya apartment

room-1.jpg?fit=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- A 71-year-old American resident of Pattaya lost a phone and digital camera after his apartment was broken-into on Saturday afternoon.

Police met with Mr. Michael Barnhost at his 5th floor apartment located in Soi 2 off Third Road in North Pattaya and were surprised there appeared to be no signs of forced entry into the apartment.

Mr. Barnhost reported the loss of a Samsung Galaxy Note and a Cannon Digital Camera, with a combined value of approximately 24,000 Baht. He told Police that he left his room at 9.50am and returned 1 hour later to find the items had been taken.

He spoke with staff at the apartment complex who checked Security Cameras which showed the suspect enter the room and within 5 minutes he was gone. It was noted that the suspect went directly to the room and made no attempts to enter other rooms, suggesting the burglary of the apartment was pre-planned.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/219998/american-victim-of-burglary-at-his-north-pattaya-apartment/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-12-21

Why is this news? I've lost tons of sh*t on eveeything from buses, trains, boats and hotel rooms. Stuff like this happens. Bad luck for the guy, but surprising? ...

Not surprising! It's all relative. He had lost 6 months of rental worth. That's why he had been targeted.

Had he stay in a condo requiring rents of Bt14-15k a month, no burglar would be interested on Bt24k of items.

that is why you have to change the locks on any place you rent. 200-500 baht.

locks for sliding glass doors. 200 baht.

and you need a heavy safe that can't be easily carried. 10,000 baht.

strange whistling.gif the thief knew when to hit the place. walked right in. boyfriend of the maid?

and if you are going to rip some place off, wear a baseball cap and a pair of sunglasses.

strange whistling.gif the thief knew when to hit the place. walked right in. boyfriend of the maid?

and if you are going to rip some place off, wear a baseball cap and a pair of sunglasses.

If you rent another persons property you must get the owners permission to change the locks and also give him a spare set of keys (in case he needs to enter if there was an emergency).

Why is this news? I've lost tons of sh*t on eveeything from buses, trains, boats and hotel rooms. Stuff like this happens. Bad luck for the guy, but surprising? ...

this is news because it was a farang. Anything whatsover with a farang involved - death, embarrasing situation, accident, victim of theft, caught litering, on overstay etc - then yes, they too will be a star on Thaivisa for the whole internet to see!

Edited by Time Traveller

Open and shut case. Staff says he frequently brought female 'guests' (prostitutes) back to his room.

Obviously one of their pimp boyfriends was given a copy of the key. Case closed.

Waste of time robbing him anyway. A used phone and camera arent worth dik.

You can buy late model cell phones and cameras here in BKK starting at 500b baht up.

If you rent another persons property you must get the owners permission to change the locks and also give him a spare set of keys (in case he needs to enter if there was an emergency).

I guess that is a law you just made up then.

The first thing I did on moving into my condo was to change the locks. I didnt ask permission. I would never be happy about giving a key to my accommodation to anyone in Thailand, and if I did have to (in case of hospitalisation, for example) I would change the locks again as soon as I was home.

Far too many crooks here, of all skin colours.

The first thing I did on moving into my condo was to change the locks. I didnt ask permission. I would never be happy about giving a key to my accommodation to anyone in Thailand, and if I did have to (in case of hospitalisation, for example) I would change the locks again as soon as I was home.

Far too many crooks here, of all skin colours.

I broke up with my girlfriend of three years.

Step One / Day One - Changed the locks. As to the landlord, do not give a key copy unless you want to.

"It is better to ask forgiveness than permission"

Yeah, and you're not supposed to drive the wrong way down a street, but this is Thailand.

Yeah, and you're not supposed to drive the wrong way down a street, but this is Thailand.

oh yeah, i forgot to mention, hide your stuff when the hookers are visiting.

My friend had his lap top stolen from his room

CCTV revealed the cleaning lady's daughter,,

my friend went to the police and the daughter

was brought in,,after showing the video to the

daughter, the daughter in plain vie entering

and leaving the room with the lap top under

her arm, she replied,,, IT WAS / IS NOT ME

the mother replaced the lap top so the daughter

would not be charged, it just goes to show,,they

don't really care about the consequence,,,

Law or not, its a good practice to get permission from the owner to change the locks before renting. If the owner says no, and it is important to you, you can look elsewhere. There is not exactly a shortage accommodation right now. His property, your money.

About 8 years ago, I was renting a one bedroom suite for a year at a family owned serviced apartment in Naklua. (I work near Pattaya) This new at the time and basically rented out to older European singles and couples in the winter time. To my surprise short term renters (staying for a week or two) had their safe deposit boxes broken into. The culprit? One of the new night time clerks this family hired who had the master key to the rooms and safety-deposit boxes. Since I would go to sleep by 10pm I guess my room was not broken into. -lol

Law or not, its a good practice to get permission from the owner to change the locks before renting. If the owner says no, and it is important to you, you can look elsewhere. There is not exactly a shortage accommodation right now. His property, your money.

Disagree, especially if the owner has access and/or a master key. If you have a rental agreement, that's sufficient. And make sure you get a top of the range padlock as some thieves are maintenance workers with bolt cutters.

About 8 years ago, I was renting a one bedroom suite for a year at a family owned serviced apartment in Naklua. (I work near Pattaya) This new at the time and basically rented out to older European singles and couples in the winter time. To my surprise short term renters (staying for a week or two) had their safe deposit boxes broken into. The culprit? One of the new night time clerks this family hired who had the master key to the rooms and safety-deposit boxes. Since I would go to sleep by 10pm I guess my room was not broken into. -lol

You piqued my curiosity. Is a one bedroom suite the same as a one bedroom apartment?

I went home in mid June and was only away for a month. When I got back here to central Pattaya the padlock had been cut off so it was a good job I had changed the deadlock. Management said there was someone breaking into other rooms. I'll never know the truth but I'll never trust anyone here. !