Please share the living experience in Mae rim area.

Mattyquali

sir /if you have a knowledge of google maps 

go to the road to prem english school and look for the buffalo training camp on the map

opposite you will see a large PIG FARM 

which was explained before by e/s post

sir /if you have a knowledge of google maps 

go to the road to prem english school and look for the buffalo training camp on the map

opposite you will see a large PIG FARM 

which was explained before by e/s post

i have posted twice mistake  

to answer the other i built on the wifes land 

which was or has been in the family 60yrs before pig farm

and would say 70%house same in 5klm area

they were accepted as gave employment to people

there was never any smell for years

they lied to the people of Mae rim 

when they said were moving to lampang  years ago 

they did a expansion  without telling the community as the farm is hidden from sight

and never put in extra provision to treat the shit

the head man of the village and govt people were on the handout from the farm

even when the smell started they just asked the people and govt to give money to them to control smell

i picked the extensions up on google earth

and showed people to there surprise there were no new dams in to treat the waste

because the owner is a high official in govt no one will say anything

that the  Thai way

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2560 at 8:58 AM, evenstevens said:

a few days back  , had a sticky beak at  the progress  of  owners of The Steak of  the  Day (Ray and Nui) new  eatery business(formerly I  Don,t  Know Restaruant)at Maerim Plaza

they have certainly pulled the trigger

a complete new kitchen, , up market new furniture , to be air condition, and plus  plus

Thai  tucker is the fare of the day, opening date is sometime away, at a punt next month (July) would be a good bet

perhaps another good nose bag for all Beautiful Maerimites

its a Wayne Fontana  good morning to alll

opening ,  next month (AUGUST):smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Next Saturday evening, 5/8    The Tall Man Trio, appear at  The Steak  of  The Day  Restaruant At Maerim Plaza, ,music commences at 7PM to 9pm

hosts   Ray  and     Nui  ,  have a  special  menu board for  this  debut music   nite,   plus  all the usual  fare  available

take a tip fom the old champ,The  Tall  Man Trio  are  top  of the shelf Thai  muscians,  bookings are  advisible  through  Steak Of  The  Day Facebook

its a Beautiful Maerimite  arvo to all

3 hours ago, evenstevens said:

Next Saturday evening, 5/8    The Tall Man Trio, appear at  The Steak  of  The Day  Restaruant At Maerim Plaza, ,music commences at 7PM to 9pm

hosts   Ray  and     Nui  ,  have a  special  menu board for  this  debut music   nite,   plus  all the usual  fare  available

take a tip fom the old champ,The  Tall  Man Trio  are  top  of the shelf Thai  muscians,  bookings are  advisible  through  Steak Of  The  Day Facebook

its a Beautiful Maerimite  arvo to all

Hmmm. what is your connection to this establishment, as you seem to promote 

it at every opportunity

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

So, I have a few questions about MR.

The area where my GF bought a house has limited internet connections. It is a fairly new area with custom homes on lots.  It is 3BBB internet or something I forget but we went to the office and they said they are all full no more connections.  Seems pretty cheesy in this age, but we can tether it to a cell phone.  What else to do?

Not to bad mouth the place it is very nice MR.  Beautiful actually and relaxing.  But maybe not for me now that I have spent more time there I am more of a city guy I guess.  

So,  I wake up and go to the gym, a few days played golf, drive up into the mountains and have a coffee.  Then what??  Not much to do seems like we were driving into town every day to walk around the malls, go to the movies, get massages.  But how long can that last?  I am talking we are thinking about this place full time.  I just wonder if it is a sit around and not do much place. There is a German dude and his Thai family across the street and they sit in their yard for 10 hours every day just eating and BSing. Is that the life?  

Like I say it is probably just me, but what else do you people do to fill up your day if anything?    

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Hmmm. what is your connection to this establishment, as you seem to promote 

it at every opportunity

regards worgeordie

no connection at all Cobber:smile:just a  very satisfied nosebagger since they opened,,to my knowledge this is a first for (LIVE BAND)Maerim Plaza ,and again this trio are  top shelf, ITS  very good  Newcastle good nite,they are back where they belong:smile:

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

So, I have a few questions about MR.

The area where my GF bought a house has limited internet connections. It is a fairly new area with custom homes on lots.  It is 3BBB internet or something I forget but we went to the office and they said they are all full no more connections.  Seems pretty cheesy in this age, but we can tether it to a cell phone.  What else to do?

Not to bad mouth the place it is very nice MR.  Beautiful actually and relaxing.  But maybe not for me now that I have spent more time there I am more of a city guy I guess.  

So,  I wake up and go to the gym, a few days played golf, drive up into the mountains and have a coffee.  Then what??  Not much to do seems like we were driving into town every day to walk around the malls, go to the movies, get massages.  But how long can that last?  I am talking we are thinking about this place full time.  I just wonder if it is a sit around and not do much place. There is a German dude and his Thai family across the street and they sit in their yard for 10 hours every day just eating and BSing. Is that the life?  

Like I say it is probably just me, but what else do you people do to fill up your day if anything?    

Cobber ,been a   Beautiful Maerimite for 12 yrs plus,and E/S is just grateful for waking up each morning:smile: best of luck

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Steak  Of The Day ,have recently aquired the premises(adjoining to their restaruant) of  former Cheunjai  Coffee/Thai food  restaruant in Maerim Plaza, which is to  be used as relaxing area for a drink or a bite to eat ,and a small party/function room for private  users etc etc,  a  very  nice Maerim morning to all

15 hours ago, evenstevens said:

Steak  Of The Day ,have recently aquired the premises(adjoining to their restaruant) of  former Cheunjai  Coffee/Thai food  restaruant in Maerim Plaza, which is to  be used as relaxing area for a drink or a bite to eat ,and a small party/function room for private  users etc etc,  a  very  nice Maerim morning to all

Last time I went to Steak of the Day, they told me they ran out of steak but Salmon was available......

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Last time I went to Steak of the Day, they told me they ran out of steak but Salmon was available......

Did you end up settling in Mae Rim or did you go back to the city? 

14 minutes ago, Puwa said:

Did you end up settling in Mae Rim or did you go back to the city? 

:)

It was 6 pm they just opened.  No steak?

I had the Salmon and it was decent.

Just saying, I wanted a steak at "Steak of the Day" with no steak.

Maybe change the name of the place......

PS:  I am surprised how many people and Falang are out in Mae Rim.

I think a decent restaurant would do well as opposed to driving into the city.

Maybe in the future.  For now it seems hit and miss maybe go to Makro buy and do your self.

Edited by bkk6060

13 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Maybe in the future.  For now it seems hit and miss maybe go to Makro buy and do your self.

Mae Rim has the best noodle restaurant in the CM area.

Why not try some local grub (100m before traffic lights heading to CM) Long narrow car park beside the road, then large open air restaurant.

Very good, Moo Deng, sen lek, Nam sai and a plate of geow grop to dip in the soup.

noodles.jpg

Edited by MaeJoMTB

21 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Fair enough. But actually I was curious to know if you stayed in Mae Rim or not because in your earlier posts you were wondering if you could adjust to the Mae Rim slow life. How did it go?

46 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

From memory Steak Of The Day  restaurant opens its doors either 10 am or 11am      not 6 pm

and currently  many Decent restaurants as you put it,   are in abundance in the Maerim District, no need to go anywhere  outside the District at all for a Graze

unless you desire to do so

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Mae Rim has the best noodle restaurant in the CM area.

Why not try some local grub (100m before traffic lights heading to CM) Long narrow car park beside the road, then large open air restaurant.

Very good, Moo Deng, sen lek, Nam sai and a plate of geow grop to dip in the soup.

noodles.jpg

They are not open at night but their Pat Thai Goong Wun Sen is great.

And if one is an agile or lucky driver, a good last-minute decision when stuck at the light. 

I understand that Chuen Jai did open a new location near the west bank of the Ping, east from that intersection, before the bridge. 

We bought a house in Mae Rim last Dec. after living in Mae Hia for more than 10yrs.

Wasn't too crazy about leaving the foot of Doi Suthep and moving into a house backed up on a 25+km expanse of rice paddy.Although surrounded by mountains,they remain far off in the distance.

I rediscovered the joys of cycling out & about through the winding trails and roads of the "green-belt", absolutely beautiful when the sky is blue and the air is clean.Even though Mae Rim is "behind the mountain"  in terms of goods & services compared to living in the city, there is a charm out here that reminds me of a Chiang Mai I met 15yrs ago. I've grown to like it here and I don't miss the city other than for good restaurants and some conveniences.

As a topic about eating out in Mae Rim; We decided to check out Steak of the Day as it was highly recommended by a local farang I chatted with.

After studying the whiteboard menu that the waiter held up in front of our table,I shook my head ,even though it was my birthday I just couldn't justify dropping 4,200b  for a steak ! ...was it Kobe beef from Japan or what?...looking around at the other tables I thought this must be THE tourist trap of Mae Rim,deciding to play it safe and ordering the "specials" I still spent over a 1,000b for what should of been appetizers instead of entrees.To be honest the food was "good",although portions very small. After an unsatisfying meal we moved across the soi to a Thai restaurant in hopes of finding some value and flavor for the baht only to discover it was owned by the same person. We had a laugh and ordered some standard Thai dishes from the same whiteboard menu. Again, "good" food,small portions,grossly over priced (250b for a miniscule portion of fried rice).

Dropped another 1,000 baht to close out a night of misadventure in "dining-out" at Mae Rim Plaza. As we walked back to the car my 8yr old daughter said "well, that was the Mis-take of the Day"! ...we all had a good laugh.

We met the owner, a pleasant soft spoken guy from Issan with apparent kitchen skills honed from working in big ass hotels around Thailand.Not sure if he is the original owner nor am I sure what his conception is....he has 1/4th of the equation for 'fine dining' - price. The other 3/4ths - food, service, and atmosphere is 'casual' at best. Perhaps I just hit an "off" night for the kitchen and should go back and give it another try ?..nay,I'd rather drive into town to restaurants where I know I won't be disappointed....at least for farang-food.

For excellent value and very good Thai-food  Baan Suan is doing it right for my return business. Located at the north end of Mae Rim off the 107 on the right, after the tile shop.

For those of you who enjoyed the The Lemon Tree across from Kad Suan Kaew  for many years, Baan Suan is the original branch.

A nice discovery in Mae Rim is The Farm Outlet - just before the Mae Rim Market on the right. Owned by Taiwanese who supply the produce from their organic farm just outside of town. Finally,carrots NOT from China! This fills the gap of not being able to make it to the Saturday farmers market at the CMU-Agricultural research oval.

HaleySabai, interesting re your comments about SOD. And for most parts I have to agree with you.

Years ago I quite enjoyed eating there but as time went buy it just became too expensive. Portion sizes have always been on the small size but way back when it was cheaper it wasn't such a factor.

I haven't been for a meal there for over a year. The last occasion was when a friend hosted a dinner party due to him leaving the area.

He ordered the Kobe beef as a treat for use all to share....yes it is expensive. What annoyed us was that most of the weight was taken up by a large bone! When you're paying by kg it makes for a very expensive cut.

Ray and Nui's lunchtime menu were at one time a very economic alternative, however I'm unsure if it still exists.  They are very nice people and I wish then all the best.

But I gave found that my buck stretches further by dinning elsewhere. Backyard (Formerly called My Backyard) is a very nice outfit. They have both Western and Thai meals.

A shop opposite Green Valley has excellent Thai dishes but you need to be able to understand Thai as all their menus are in Thai.

Mae Rim is growing all the time as the urban shift creeps North. New places open and close with regularity. Sometimes you find some great hidden gems and that makes the place so magical.

Unfortunately I have left the area but hope to visit in about a year with a possibility of settling in the area again. It is a great spot.

10 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

As a topic about eating out in Mae Rim; We decided to check out Steak of the Day as it was highly recommended by a local farang I chatted with.

After studying the whiteboard menu that the waiter held up in front of our table,I shook my head ,even though it was my birthday I just couldn't justify dropping 4,200b  for a steak ! ...

1 hour ago, CMKiwi said:

Years ago I quite enjoyed eating there but as time went buy it just became too expensive. Portion sizes have always been on the small size but way back when it was cheaper it wasn't such a factor.

Ray and Nui's lunchtime menu were at one time a very economic alternative, however I'm unsure if it still exists.  

Steak Of  The  Day has always  had a  White Slip  Paper Menu (just asked for it)where there is a number of dishes (good portions)ranging from 130 baht to 170 baht per dish, which should fit   the Farung Cheap Charleys whims,  then the high rollers White  Board Menu  over many years have ordered from both Menu,s and the prices have only risen with costs etc etc and portion wise in my view ,very satisfactory     .  Steak Of The Day Restaurant is  very good value,(when taking every thing into consideration) ,thats why they have outlasted many other eating establishments in Maerim Plaza, or Maerim District for that matter

3 hours ago, evenstevens said:

Steak Of  The  Day has always  had a  White Slip  Paper Menu (just asked for it)where there is a number of dishes (good portions)ranging from 130 baht to 170 baht per dish, which should fit   the Farung Cheap Charleys whims,  then the high rollers White  Board Menu  over many years have ordered from both Menu,s and the prices have only risen with costs etc etc and portion wise in my view ,very satisfactory     .  Steak Of The Day Restaurant is  very good value,(when taking every thing into consideration) ,thats why they have outlasted many other eating establishments in Maerim Plaza, or Maerim District for that matter

If you are going for a dinner meal, the place is way expensive and not good value in my opinion.   And, when I am in town I cut thru that center at least twice a day I have never seen more then 4 people in there at one time. Never have seen one person at lunch or in the afternoon which is why I posted earlier I thought they opened at 530 or 6pm.

Good for them for continuing but I doubt it is a huge money maker.

Edited by bkk6060

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

If you are going for a dinner meal, the place is way expensive and not good value in my opinion.   And, when I am in town I cut thru that center at least twice a day I have never seen more then 4 people in there at one time. Never have seen one person at lunch or in the afternoon which is why I posted earlier I thought they opened at 530 or 6pm.

Good for them for continuing but I doubt it is a huge money maker.

It is  very obviously that Steak Of The Day  is not to your liking  , your patronage will not be missed,   have a nice day

14 hours ago, evenstevens said:

It is  very obviously that Steak Of The Day  is not to your liking  , your patronage will not be missed,   have a nice day

Haha you never know.

The night I went no steak and I was the only customer in the place. So....

You are right though no reason to go back for sure.

Edited by bkk6060

There are quite a lot of Thai 'steak' places around.

Normally they charge 60-80bht for a pork, chicken, or fish 'steak' with a small salad with dressing and a few chips.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Life in Mae Rim involves much, much more than going out to eat. But since the topic is popular...

Many good restaurants in Mae Rim: My Backyard, Pangsawan, Ban Suan (pardon my ostrich), Sala Cafe, that funky little shop on the road to Hong Nai that serves great kai gata, the vegetarian shop across from Green Valley and next to the TOT office, that groovy pizza place off the Muang Kaew road, Krapoot Kitchen (has a new name now), First Cafe, and the countless resorts in Mae Sa, all the way up to Pong Yaeng. 

Regarding Steak of the Day, I know many customers who swear by the place. I like Ray and Nui. They are obviously good, friendly, hardworking people and accomplished restauranteurs. I almost never eat there myself, though, because it's not the cuisine I like. Steaks, ribs, and pork chops don't appeal to me, and the kind of imported salmon we get in Thailand is pretty low quality. 

Beyond eating out, I love life in Mae Rim. We offer neighbors sweet tamarinds from our trees, they reciprocate with papaya, bananas, and pineapples. We get our greens from organic gardens a 2 minute walk from home. The possibilities for on-road and off-road cycling are endless. The folk in our village are mainly content and relatively prosperous for Thai farmers. I am happy to listen to the village headman's morning and evening announcements over the village PA: the women's savings group is meeting tomorrow; free blood tests on Sunday; Ai Paek's goat has wandered off; electricity going off tomorrow for 3 hours; tomorrow we'll clean up the temple.

In the cool season, after the rice harvest, the village celebrates. The older women sing a kind of traditional northern song not unlike mor-lam from the northeast. The various sections of the village offer up their volunteers to sweep sois and plant flowers. When forest fires threaten the temple, the night comes alive with engines taking people and rakes and shovels up the hill at 10pm. Our soi is quiet, our house hidden, our neighbors friendly and respectful. Crime, even petty theft, is almost unheard of. The district is thick with national parks, preserved forest (ba sanguan), and community forest (ba chumchon). 

Mae Rim is the place for me. I find Doi Saket and Sankampaeng too hot; Hang Dong has nice spots along the hills but I don't like the roads, same with Saraphi; San Sai is very nice and I know a few happy fellows who are likewise settled happily there. 

That, to put it in terms of the original topic, is my experience living in Mae Rim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Puwa said:

Life in Mae Rim involves much, much more than going out to eat. But since the topic is popular...

Many good restaurants in Mae Rim: My Backyard, Pangsawan, Ban Suan (pardon my ostrich), Sala Cafe, that funky little shop on the road to Hong Nai that serves great kai gata, the vegetarian shop across from Green Valley and next to the TOT office, that groovy pizza place off the Muang Kaew road, Krapoot Kitchen (has a new name now), First Cafe, and the countless resorts in Mae Sa, all the way up to Pong Yaeng. 

Regarding Steak of the Day, I know many customers who swear by the place. I like Ray and Nui. They are obviously good, friendly, hardworking people and accomplished restauranteurs. I almost never eat there myself, though, because it's not the cuisine I like. Steaks, ribs, and pork chops don't appeal to me, and the kind of imported salmon we get in Thailand is pretty low quality. 

Beyond eating out, I love life in Mae Rim. We offer neighbors sweet tamarinds from our trees, they reciprocate with papaya, bananas, and pineapples. We get our greens from organic gardens a 2 minute walk from home. The possibilities for on-road and off-road cycling are endless. The folk in our village are mainly content and relatively prosperous for Thai farmers. I am happy to listen to the village headman's morning and evening announcements over the village PA: the women's savings group is meeting tomorrow; free blood tests on Sunday; Ai Paek's goat has wandered off; electricity going off tomorrow for 3 hours; tomorrow we'll clean up the temple.

In the cool season, after the rice harvest, the village celebrates. The older women sing a kind of traditional northern song not unlike mor-lam from the northeast. The various sections of the village offer up their volunteers to sweep sois and plant flowers. When forest fires threaten the temple, the night comes alive with engines taking people and rakes and shovels up the hill at 10pm. Our soi is quiet, our house hidden, our neighbors friendly and respectful. Crime, even petty theft, is almost unheard of. The district is thick with national parks, preserved forest (ba sanguan), and community forest (ba chumchon). 

Mae Rim is the place for me. I find Doi Saket and Sankampaeng too hot; Hang Dong has nice spots along the hills but I don't like the roads, same with Saraphi; San Sai is very nice and I know a few happy fellows who are likewise settled happily there. 

That, to put it in terms of the original topic, is my experience living in Mae Rim.

Hey seriously, good for you if you like it that much.

Many write their scenarios about these places to in some way make others jealous.

You know, OMG the rural farm life is so great, women singing songs, the rice harvest.

Some sort of solice or giving up in the tone... Makes me laugh.

I only go to MR because my professional big money Thai GF bought a house there.

I spend 7 to 10 days a month there.  My financial investment is zero.

I find the place to be a total bore.  After 2 days, I go into the city everyday for something to do.

Yes, the cycling, motorbike areas are nice.  But, been there done that, then what?

What else do you spend your day doing?  Exchanging fruit and chasing that loose goat?

If one is content doing much of nothing all day then I guess it will suit you.

I am more of a city guy much prefer BKK or Pattaya. Stay busy, stay in shape, on the go.

Just me of course.

It is a nice nice place for an old man in my opinion.  Probably for someone physically and mentally not all there.  Relax and do much of nothing.  That is my observation from the people who live near her house.  Sit all day and smoke and talk, then drink at night.  A great relaxed life.

I do not hate the place, just not for me to "settle down".

I think it would cause an early death for me from total boredom.....

But good luck to those who love it.

Edited by bkk6060

33 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

After 2 days, I go into the city everyday for something to do.

What do you do in the city that you find so satisfying?  Curious because I do not find much reason to go there often.