Non Im "b" Visa Run - Where Should I Go?

I'm changing jobs and my new employer wants me to do a visa run to get a new non-immigrant "B" visa.

I currently hold a non immigrant "B" and a work permit, but they tell me they can't transfer the permits. I don't really want to argue the toss on that issue.

I have a very short gap between jobs and both companies are quite large businesses employing large numbers of foreigners. So it is a regular occurrence for them.

So....where should I go?

Do I have to send documents out in advance?

I take it that I don't need a multiple entry visa so I should be able to go to Penang or Singapore?

OR...is there now somewhere in immigration in Bangkok that issues Non Immigrant "B" visas?

In the light of the recent changes in visa rules what would you recommend?

I'm changing jobs and my new employer wants me to do a visa run to get a new non-immigrant "B" visa.

I currently hold a non immigrant "B" and a work permit, but they tell me they can't transfer the permits. I don't really want to argue the toss on that issue.

I have a very short gap between jobs and both companies are quite large businesses employing large numbers of foreigners. So it is a regular occurrence for them.

So....where should I go?

I take it that I don't need a multiple entry visa so I should be able to go to Penang or Singapore?

OR...is there now somewhere in immigration in Bangkok that issues Non Immigrant "B" visas?

Not to sure on the best place to get the non-b. I heard a while ago (before the changes) that Penang asked for a receipt from the labour dept to say that work permit forms had been submitted. You may need to submit them before you go to get the non-b and take the receipt with you. Worth checking this out first, could save you time and money.

Shame they can't/won't or don't know how to transfer the W/P to your new company. My wife deals with this at her work. To my knowledge she has transfered 6 or 7W/P's , thus saving the people having to leave and get new visas. I guess she has a good lawyer to help her.

Yes it's extremely frustrating, I guess they simply have never done it so they just don't bother finding out about it....does you wife have any pointers?

As for the run - I know I have to take the receipt but I think they have moved the goal posts on exactly what docos I have to take as proof that the job offer is a bona-fide one.

what's the best way to fly to Penang...is there an airport there?

Yes it's extremely frustrating, I guess they simply have never done it so they just don't bother finding out about it....does you wife have any pointers?

As for the run - I know I have to take the receipt but I think they have moved the goal posts on exactly what docos I have to take as proof that the job offer is a bona-fide one.

Myself I went to Laos, Vientiane

Took me two days, one submitting, one picking up

crowded but they give a good service and you are not in line for a tourist visa which is quite crowded

J

So....where should I go?

Not to sure on the best place to get the non-b. I heard a while ago (before the changes) that Penang asked for a receipt from the labour dept to say that work permit forms had been submitted. You may need to submit them before you go to get the non-b and take the receipt with you. Worth checking this out first, could save you time and money.

Shame they can't/won't or don't know how to transfer the W/P to your new company. My wife deals with this at her work. To my knowledge she has transfered 6 or 7W/P's , thus saving the people having to leave and get new visas. I guess she has a good lawyer to help her.

In the old days before Oct 1st, you could apply for the extension of stay based on business while you were still in Thailand and were changing jobs in a 7 day period. (From the point you turned in your work permit to the 7 days later you had to leave Thailand.) Now it’s no longer possible unless the second company qualifies for a one stop center or BOI. As a receipt to pick up the work permit at the Labor Dept with the second company is not sufficient to get the extension of stay.

You need to get the actual physical work permit to be able to apply for the extension of stay with the second job. As it takes 10 days to get the work permit, you are out of luck. The only way is to apply for the second company work permit while holding the work permit with the first company. Two problems with this, one the Labor dept frowns on it and second you need to get authorization from the first company to have a second job.

Go to KL or Singapre to get the 90 day non-B with the company docs. Make sure all is signed by the MD and stamped along with the invite letter.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Yep you can fly to Penang. Air Asia fly there, maybe some of the other budget airlines too. From the airport to the district you need to go is about 35 or 40 mins in a taxi. Cost about 400 baht if i can remember. I went there in December last year.

Plenty of hotels and restuarants. They have visa agents, I use them when I go there. They charge a small fee, I guess 100 or 200 baht. That was for tourist visas mind. Many shops offer the service and are easy to find. Or maybe better to do it yourself, not sure.

My wife reckons to take more documents than required to make sure you have anything they ask for. hope the person preparing these for you knows what you need. But company reg, list of shareholders, tax receipt for company, accounts, paid up capital, Thai to Farang ratio, all to be signed by director/owner or equal and maybe copy off their id card ( I was told this in Hanoi, I got a Knock back there as I couldn't get the Id card or signature of the owner,)

She also says to ask the person who deals with the W/P at your present and new company to contact the Labour dept, where you collect the W/P from and they should guide them through the process. They will need to work together on it. As she says" It Can be done"

Hope this helps.

So....where should I go?

In the old days before Oct 1st, you could apply for the extension of stay based on business while you were still in Thailand and were changing jobs in a 7 day period. (From the point you turned in your work permit to the 7 days later you had to leave Thailand.) Now it’s no longer possible unless the second company qualifies for a one stop center or BOI. As a receipt to pick up the work permit at the Labor Dept with the second company is not sufficient to get the extension of stay.

You need to get the actual physical work permit to be able to apply for the extension of stay with the second job. As it takes 10 days to get the work permit, you are out of luck. The only way is to apply for the second company work permit while holding the work permit with the first company. Two problems with this, one the Labor dept frowns on it and second you need to get authorization from the first company to have a second job.

Go to KL or Singapre to get the 90 day non-B with the company docs. Make sure all is signed by the MD and stamped along with the invite letter.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thanks Sunbelt!

I currently hold a Type B issued in Singapore, expiring Dec 19, and I'm applying for a Work Permit. However, there's a possibility that my current company will either close down or not push through with my work permit before December.

If this happens, I won't have a problem finding another job. However, my question is this. If I go back to Singapore for ANOTHER Type B using the documents of ANOTHER company and the Thai embassy Singapore sees that I didn't push through with the work permit of the original company using the FIRST Type B they gave me, will they normally hesitate giving me another Type B for the next company?

Thanks Sunbelt!

I currently hold a Type B issued in Singapore, expiring Dec 19, and I'm applying for a Work Permit. However, there's a possibility that my current company will either close down or not push through with my work permit before December.

If this happens, I won't have a problem finding another job. However, my question is this. If I go back to Singapore for ANOTHER Type B using the documents of ANOTHER company and the Thai embassy Singapore sees that I didn't push through with the work permit of the original company using the FIRST Type B they gave me, will they normally hesitate giving me another Type B for the next company?

You should be ok. Never have heard of a case, someone having a problem for the 90 day visa, if they had all the proper paperwork. Go back again however with the same company documents he second time and you may get a warning to get a work permit.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com