First class insurance question

recom273

Does it cover damage to the bike ?

Such as scratched farings in car parks or theft/ damage to accessories whilst unattended.

I had an incident yesterday, some mototaxi gouged a nice deep scratch into my alui panniers, all he could say was "sorry" - no ID card, no licence - the police wouldn't do anything as it happened at the entrance of a petol station, like most taxi guys, didn't have a proverbial pot anyway.

Just wondering if I should bump up my cover.

I doubt the extra premium for first class coverage would be worth some scratches to fairings.

From the other side, ask yourself the question what the outcome would have been when this event had been the other way around.

I don't understand .. What the outcome would have been ?

I was thinking to myself if this was a Thai car and I had just gouged a groove in the door I would be descended upon by several mototaxi guys ( who seem to be some kind of unofficial police force here ) and held against my will until the police showed and then end up paying for a respray of the door out of my own pocket .. But when it turns out to be a local, it's gren jai as he's poor - he can't afford 17,000b for a new pannier.

Is this what you mean or are you suggesting that the mai bpen rai attitude is reciprocal ?? I don't think it extends to westerners.

I'm also thinking about first class after 2 mates were taken off their bikes by a sidecar contraption, one of the bikes was an R1, the guy tried to flee but one guy caught him - the family went to court and pleaded poverty and are paying him at 20b a week, that he has to physically collect.

I think it's time to adjust my perception of riding here.

I used to use a camera - but took it off, finding that I was putting myself in silly situations .. The first thing the police said last night was did I have the whole incident on video ?

So time to upgrade and buy a smaller more practical camera like a drift.

Edited by recom273

I doubt the extra premium for first class coverage would be worth some scratches to fairings.

From the other side, ask yourself the question what the outcome would have been when this event had been the other way around.

I was thinking to myself if this was a Thai car and I had just gouged a groove in the door I would be descended upon by several mototaxi guys ( who seem to be some kind of unofficial police force here ) and held against my will until the police showed and then end up paying for a respray of the door out of my own pocket .. But when it turns out to be a local, it's gren jai as he's poor - he can't afford 17,000b for a new pannier.

Is this what you mean or are you suggesting that the mai bpen rai attitude is reciprocal ?? I don't think it extends to westerners.

I'm also thinking about first class after 2 mates were taken off their bikes by a sidecar contraption, one of the bikes was an R1, the guy tried to flee but one guy caught him - the family went to court and pleaded poverty and are paying him at 20b a week, that he has to physically collect.

I used to use a camera - but took it off, finding that I was putting myself in silly situations .. The first thing the police said last night was did I have the whole incident on video ?

So time to upgrade and buy a smaller more practical camera like a drift.

It seems you understand my remark pretty well.

On a side note, i have been a biker all my life, but in Thailand biking is no fun.

It seems you understand my remark pretty well.

On a side note, i have been a biker all my life, but in Thailand biking is no fun.

Ahh sorry, I thought you were sympathizing with the local.

Even the other taxis guys and the petrol pump guys were telling him he needed to come correct, but after a short while despite initially apologizing he then denied causing any damage, saying that the gouge ( incidentally the same height as his bike lock that was covered in red sticker and alui shavings ) was there before.

A lesson learnt, if you have a minor on private property just withhold any ID and deny any wrong doing .. It appears there's nothing legally anyone can do certainly not the BiB.

Anyway, thread derailed ..

Does first class insurance cover extend to bodywork, etc ?

You will need to check the actual policy you have, but typically a 1st class policy covers damage to the bike....

There is likely to be an excess (or deductable as some call it) of 10-15,000 b dependant on engine size / value...

And there is typically a no claims bonus, which if you claim, sees the premium go down each year, until the maximun of 5 years is reached....

If you are looking at 15,000b and little chance of making a recovery from the culprit, i doubt claiming your own policy would be worth it in the long run...

hope this helps...

Does anyone care to give up any names of insurance companies ?

I contacted a couple of the usual suspects and they say no - as the boxes are outside the manufacturers spec or that they are easily stolen ( which I need to pursue, if the bike gets stolen along with the panniers or they are damaged along with the bike in an accident )

With first class motorcycle insurance here, each eventuality is covered up to a specified maximum payout. So in the case of theft, the specified amount might be around 80% of the market value of the bike not including any accessories.

As other posters have pointed out, the theft of a pannier would probably fail as an insurance claim on 3 points. 1. The excess would wipe out most or all of the claim. 2. It probably would not be allowed under the policy which probably only covers theft of the vehicle. 3. Your premium would increase the following year.

Your panniers aren't your bike, so even first class insurance couldn't help you in this situation.

As others have said there is a deductible on all first class insurance. ie the insurance will only pay after a set amount.

eg i had an accident and the damage to my bike was around 4000B. My deductible was 5000B so there was no point contacting my insurance company. I wasn't at fault, but like you, the guy that hit me clearly had little money, so there was no point in chasing it up.

Your panniers aren't your bike, so even first class insurance couldn't help you in this situation.

As others have said there is a deductible on all first class insurance. ie the insurance will only pay after a set amount.

eg i had an accident and the damage to my bike was around 4000B. My deductible was 5000B so there was no point contacting my insurance company. I wasn't at fault, but like you, the guy that hit me clearly had little money, so there was no point in chasing it up.

I have to disagree with that.

Several years ago a car damaged a pannier from my bike. I didn't have first class insurance, and the panniers were imported from my home country, but the insurance company from the car driver paid me a new pannier upon presenting the invoice of purchase.

Several years ago a car damaged a pannier from my bike. I didn't have first class insurance, and the panniers were imported from my home country, but the insurance company from the car driver paid me a new pannier upon presenting the invoice of purchase.

This is a separate eventuality, the eventuality of "third party property damage". This can include anything from a garden fence to a bicycle.

The OP was referring to separate clauses in the policy, damage to own vehicle, or theft of parts of the vehicle.

But that's not the same thing. The person that hit you, his insurance was liable to pay for any damage to anything.

In the OPs case, he's asking about claiming on his own insurance.

But that's not the same thing. The person that hit you, his insurance was liable to pay for any damage to anything.

In the OPs case, he's asking about claiming on his own insurance.

Actually, I'm getting a clearer view of the situation now. I appreciate all input.

So, I understand that I have to learn to accept minor damage but now I'm looking for the right policy.

Like a poster said, a car hit him, and responsible for all damage to property. That seems fair.

But with regard to 'my' insurance company.

So what happens if a 'hit and run' takes out the bike and panniers ? the insurance company are not responsible for the panniers, so it seems, just the bike. Seems a bit rough.

Same as theft - the insurance company say that he panniers are not a part of the bike, therefore not insurable as they could be easily lifted off ( not too sure how ? Since they are locked on but ) and I understand that but if the whole bike is stolen with the boxes then the insurance company are not liable ?

I only ever dealt with an insurance once when I was in the UK and they fleeced me then paying out a low amount after someone stole my car and drove it into a wall. Seems the same the world over.

In my case, if the bike was stolen, the insurance company would pay out something in the region of 200,000B but the panniers and accessories another 100,000B. Doesn't seem fair.

So I am looking for the best package now.

Edited by recom273