Dullards

Snackbar

There are always 3-6 out of 45-50 in every one of my classes that haven't a clue. They hide in class, wait for others to give them the answers/copy.

I'm at a Thai university. The majority are easily motivated with strict punctuality, fair treatment, challenging course work and all that.

Then, as I say, the minority that 'aren't all there.

Any experience of how to give these ss the guidance they need?

Colleagues suggest that they 'don't waste their limited time' on dullards.

Thks so much.

As I mentioned, colleagues have the same approach.

I'm looking for an intuitive solution.

Have a god day.

Ah. You did say that. My apologies. When I taught uni I tried to make the lessons as interactive as possible. Students seemed to enjoy that. Depends on what you're teaching, but I mostly did communicative English, and used a lot of role-play. Also, I think it bears reminding that Thai uni students can be slightly less mature than western ones and might not go for extended lectures so much. Try to keep things loose in the classroom. They love games. Group work is good too.

Don't waste your time. If they are at university age then they are practically adults and "able" to take care of themselves. Your other students shouldn't have to get less attention because of these dullards. As a university lecturer it's not your job to motivate adults to study, but to educate those that are already motivated.

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a point of getting them to interact and participate more. Also given them a mentor.

Also gave them simple clear examples before asking them to demonstrate to others. And given them extra work to do.

Told them what's expected of them. Will either brake or motivate them I guess.

My job, for what it's worth, is to encourage all of them not waste their time by ignoring them. Dullards.

Don't waste your time. If they are at university age then they are practically adults and "able" to take care of themselves. Your other students shouldn't have to get less attention because of these dullards. As a university lecturer it's not your job to motivate adults to study, but to educate those that are already motivated.

I don't think that it's wasted time to "help" those who were never allowed to think critical, just because of some unwritten laws by the MoE that Thai teachers do not lose face.

They might be physically look like adults, but the "no fail" and "copy from the board, what's been copied out of a book" by a Thai teacher, doesn't help them at all to develop the needed critical thinking skills, they supposed to have in this age.

The psychological highly questionable "HKS" ( Hello Kitty Syndrome) can be seen at too many university students all over the country and the fact that none of them in primary and secondary educational levels were allowed to ask their teachers any questions, regardless what subject they had problems to follow, can hardly be seen as a professional education that creates healthy and critical thinking adults at tertiary level.

Please try to find good English speaking senior students at one of the Rajabhat universities in lower northeast where most of the students/parents couldn't afford some extra tutoring.

I also believe that motivating students who were always left behind/out should be part of tertiary education in this country.

Don't you agree that an interesting lesson will/ could/can motivate such students? I had a dream.-wai2.gif