Overstay due to incorrect stamp at airport

A few months ago my multiple entry business visa expired.

I had 2 months stamp remaining in my passport and I left Thailand with a re-entry permit.

When I came back to Thailand, Suvarnabhumi airport stamped me a new 90 day stamp instead of the date on my re-entry permit (visa enter before date already expired).

Next I got a new work permit and took my documents to get an extension of stay.

Immigration told me my visa had expired, I had overstayed and I should call Suvarnabhumi airport to sort it out.

My overstay is over 30 days according to the re-entry stamp and 60 days from when the visa enter before date.

Am I in overstay and what is the best strategy for this problem?

Should I fly out of the country quietly or inform Suvarnabhumi airport of the stamp?

Would I be forced to leave Thailand immediately if I inform immigration?

And is the overstay calculated from the re-entry permit date until now or the visa enter before date until now?

What would be the likely outcome?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my problem and please help me with some advice.

Edited by joesmipl55

• Your only choice is to leave and get a new non "B" visa.

The overstay fee will be 500 baht for every day since the re-entry permit date (expiry date of your last permit to stay date). The maximum fine is 20k.

The IO stamped your passport in error so they might let you off the overstay fee. But take cash with you as you are technically at fault.

• Like 2

I don't really understand why the local office will not correct the error if it is one. But it seems you failed to have the error corrected before you went on an overstay which they consider to be your fault.

Your only choice appears to be to pay the overstay on departure from the country and get a new non- b visa.

• Like 1

many stories from people in the same boat, the rule here is to always check the date stamped by the IO when you get your passport back, this is where you are technically at fault, also on the arrival card did you write the number of the Reentry permit?

Looks like another trip out of Thailand for you.

Yes, when I arrived back in Thailand I wrote: re-entry and the permit number on the arrival card.

I was planning to leave Thailand again in 3 months so travel now, overstay costs and travel again will amount to more than budgeted.

I don't really understand why the local office will not correct the error if it is one. But it seems you failed to have the error corrected before you went on an overstay which they consider to be your fault.

Your only choice appears to be to pay the overstay on departure from the country and get a new non- b visa.

It was too difficult for the local immigration to solve so they tried to call the airport but couldnt find the right person.

Will I be arrested or need to depart immediately if I present myself to Suvarnabhumi immigration?

Should I get a ticket first and try to fly out without mentioning it?

It was too difficult for the local immigration to solve so they tried to call the airport but couldnt find the right person.

Will I be arrested or need to depart immediately if I present myself to Suvarnabhumi immigration?

• Has the stamp (error) in your passport been corrected?
  • What date (error) did the IO admit you until when you last entered?

You won't be arrested at the airport.

I don't think immigration at the airport will be able to do anything. If they correct the stamp you will still be on overstay.

You might get lucky when leaving the country if the officer stamping you out does not notice the error. Thus no overstay.

The incorrect stamp is admitted to mid January 2016. The stamp has "Non B" written on it. The re-entry date was mid November.

No corrections have been made.

I don't think immigration at the airport will be able to do anything. If they correct the stamp you will still be on overstay.

You might get lucky when leaving the country if the officer stamping you out does not notice the error. Thus no overstay.

Thanks for the reply.

I suppose if the immigration computer shows a different date than the stamp in my passport, then the overstay would be discovered.

The incorrect stamp is admitted to mid January 2016. The stamp has "Non B" written on it. The re-entry date was mid November.

No corrections have been made.

You will need a new non 'B' regardless so you should plan to leave asap incase they do charge an overstay. Although, after 40 days the fine is the same.

I think there is a good chance you will get away with it. Worst case, and the IO discovers the error/overstay, You will be asked to pay the fine. There are no other penalties or consequences.

I had something similar once. They stamped my passport with the wrong inward date and when I left they said I had overstayed. I showed them my flight ticket when I came in and they agreed the immigration officer was a month out with the stamp. They fixed it and it was ok

• Like 2

It doesn't matter where you go to get a stamp/90 day report / extension of stay/ anything,,, Check your dates /stamps before you leave the office /building,,,,I had to correct Immigration Officers Twice in the last 2 years,, It will save you a lot of Headaches.

I had a similar situation and was given the wrong stamp which I acted on and then when I went to leave Thailand found I was 15 days overstay. I paid the overstay fine(like you have a choice?) but at the time I mused why i had to pay for someone else's mistake.But TIT and be careful of that smile

I renewed my Retirement Visa in August and did my 90 day report at the same time. I checked the visa was correct but neglected to look at the 90 day report slip. I pulled out my passport in mid November to see when I had to report and discovered they had stapled the old slip in my passport dated August 26. Cost me 2,000 baht for their mistake because Thais never make mistakes, ..that would mean losing face

Happened to me a few years back.. Leaving thru Bkk.. I had a tourist visa, but stamped passport for only 30 days.. Female office wanted to fine me, i refuted and showed visa, officer in charge came over, and ordered her to enter correct details in computer and i left with not issues

I bought a ticket out of Thailand and went to the airport.

Everything as normal; checked in and went through immigration.

Immigration officer looked at my passport, stamped the exit date and there was no mention of overstay.

I was worried about paying an overstay penalty, but I either had good luck or it was a fuss over nothing.

Thanks again for everyones comments.

• Like 1

I thought that is what would happen at the airport. They just looked at your entry/permit to stay stamp and stamped you out of the country.

Not the same as gong to an immigration office where they would check your visa to confirm you are eligible for the extension.

I had a 14 day overstay due to an incorrect stamp. All immigration are interested in is the overstay fine money, they have no interest in the rights and wrongs of the situation. At the time it struck me as curious that I had to pay a fine for their error but I guess such subtlety was lost on them