Foreigners detained as Tourist Police lead South Pattaya crime suppression raid

webfact

They will want to build a big prison if they do a round up in Pattaya!

Isn't Pattaya all ready some sort of a prison of addiction? And sadly, for several years have been a legal guest. So, as I have and do hang with some that are under the radar but when shit hits the fan its on them.But, I agree the deadbeats need to go home to mummy.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will get in the news and can do nothing to help the Tourist industry ,

Maybe at Airport Immigration they can hand you an "official" copy printout of your passport / visa that you can carry around with you.

It is the end of the year and officials all over Thailand are trying to get the last few "tea money" gifts,

Don't agree.

Why would genuine tourists be concerned? They have the correct visa or visa waiver entitlement. They don't overstay. Most are not sex tourists. Many do visit places like Walking Street out of curiosity. And want that visit to be safe.

The police show their presence in these areas and do, albeit occasionally, and possibly for the wrong reasons, inspect establishment to check compliance with some laws.

Now, if the police were really doing their job, and stopping the lady boy gangs and other thieves, then things would be better.

As for "tea money" I'm sure the need for it increases at certain times a year but these foreigners weren't being asked for tea money, AFAIK. Their visas were being checked to make sure they were here legally. Those on overstay or without visas are criminals. Just as they would be in most any other country.

Overstay your visa in the UK and you are required to report to a police force, not immigration.

It might have changed in the last 15 years, but when I was there - there were no exit controls.... so how would they know if you overstayed if you just crossed the channel?

Pattaya is the one place where I usually do carry my passport, specifically for this reason.

Although just supplying your Departure card number should bring up your last entry and visa type in 2 seconds for any immigration officer. So really any photo ID (like driver's license) plus passport copy and departure card copy should be sufficient to clear up any immigration status question.

Still.. it's Pattaya so I err on the side of caution and just bring passport.

I would never carry my actual Passport out into the unpredictable Thai jungle - in seven years, never have - hoping a photocopy + Thai driver's licence will suffice, just don't want to risk losing the real thing in some way. But then, i never go near ANY of the troublesome flesh-pots !

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

I can see their point .

Terrorism increasing.

ISIS in their country according to Russian intel.

People rotting away for years without correct visas.

But if I were Thai authorities I would perhaps make a law that allows people who can show 50,000 plus a month spent on Thai soil a visa that lasts while it continues .

This could be done through Hotel or Apartment rents and proof of expenditure like internal airfares restaurant receipts , hire car.

Shopping.

It would boost economy and filter out the less fortunate for their own good

I have a legit visa. I am not a criminal. There are thousands like me here in Thailand. But when did it become a crime to be a tourist?

Getting fined for overstaying in a country. Getting banned from said country for overstaying.... then on the other hand... Mass tourist advertising.

Spending millions of bucks on it.

Come and have fun, have a great stay, spend your hard earned cash on tourist tat, eat wonderful Thai food, drink Thai beer, when you go please come back again soon....Why ?

Why the hell would you ? If you are under threat of being frisked because you went out and had fun in a Disco ? Gatherings of 5 and more is a crime... lets go out on the town with our mates as long as its only you and 3 others...

Thai Visa is full of holier than everyone posters with an overblown attitude that only they belong here and all tourists are unwashed criminal scum. How did they come to be in Thailand in the first place?...I guess, just turned up and had the long stay visa in hand ?

The more this mad cap place gets madder, the more I think its time to move on. 11 years and counting and I read the same stuff over and over again in the news. Juntas and elected PM's come and go and nothing gets better. Nothing gets fixed it just gets fixed over, and the foreigner still gets worked over. The latest madness with a long term "Tourist" visa is a nail in the coffin. You need a job, ( gap year students forget it ) you need to show how much money you have in the bank, how much have you got on you when you turn up..... Has this country never heard of someone using credit cards and pulling out of an ATM to keep going ? They don't ask that in affluent Singapore or Hong Kong, KL airport never asked me if I was skint. Australian customs might be concerned I have a wooden pencil or dirty shoes from a farm but never asked for my bank balance.

I spoke with several tourists the other day in town and on the beach, what stood out? The place is a dirty stinking mess of rubbish. Everywhere. Jomtien and Pattaya beach look like half assed construction sites with mountains of landfill crap dumped all along them. In high season as well...

Now where was that Kuoni Holiday brochure for the Seychelles.......they probably shoot bum tourists on sight there...

How many times does it have to be said that they don't want us here. Just our money.

Body-searching tourists and general questioning/document checks aren't really normal in tourist areas of any but the most risky countries. By risky, I mean prone to violence. I would expect this in Egypt, some African countries and some S. American countries. Of course the time, location and circumstances of such 'field investigations' is important. In the USA, you can expect to have your "documents" checked as well. Quasi-routine vehicle stops and certain areas of certain cities draw more general police attention. But in Thailand, it is easy to check on overstays and such, right?

I have a legit visa. I am not a criminal. There are thousands like me here in Thailand. But when did it become a crime to be a tourist?

Getting fined for overstaying in a country. Getting banned from said country for overstaying.... then on the other hand... Mass tourist advertising.

Come and have fun, have a great stay, spend your hard earned cash on tourist tat, eat wonderful Thai food, drink Thai beer, when you go please come back again soon....Why ?

Why the hell would you ? If you are under threat of being frisked because you went out and had fun in a Disco ? Gatherings of 5 and more is a crime... lets go out on the town with our mates as long as its only you and 3 others...

Thai Visa is full of holier than everyone posters with an overblown attitude that only they belong here and all tourists are unwashed criminal scum. How did they come to be in Thailand in the first place?...I guess, just turned up and had the long stay visa in hand ?

The more this mad cap place gets madder, the more I think its time to move on. 11 years and counting and I read the same stuff over and over again in the news. Juntas and elected PM's come and go and nothing gets better. Nothing gets fixed it just gets fixed over, and the foreigner still gets worked over. The latest madness with a long term "Tourist" visa is a nail in the coffin. You need a job, ( gap year students forget it ) you need to show how much money you have in the bank, how much have you got on you when you turn up..... Has this country never heard of someone using credit cards and pulling out of an ATM to keep going ? They don't ask that in affluent Singapore or Hong Kong, KL airport never asked me if I was skint. Australian customs might be concerned I have a wooden pencil or dirty shoes from a farm but never asked for my bank balance.

I spoke with several tourists the other day in town and on the beach, what stood out? The place is a dirty stinking mess of rubbish. Everywhere. Jomtien and Pattaya beach look like half assed construction sites with mountains of landfill crap dumped all along them. In high season as well...

Now where was that Kuoni Holiday brochure for the Seychelles.......they probably shoot bum tourists on sight there...

As they put the last nail in your coffin and send you to your next destination,never fear,i will pick up the slack,as i can stay,year in,year out.20 minutes every year,toooo easy.As most off us that like a swim wouldn't be seen dead at Patts and Jomtein.Same as having a holiday next to an open sewer.

Have been saying that for years. You need a big prison for all the questionable foreigners and many hiding in Pattaya. And thats Pattaya alone! Add Koh Samui and Phuket to the list the prison will have to be huge.

They will want to build a big prison if they do a round up in Pattaya!

I can see their point .

Terrorism increasing.

ISIS in their country according to Russian intel.

People rotting away for years without correct visas.

But if I were Thai authorities I would perhaps make a law that allows people who can show 50,000 plus a month spent on Thai soil a visa that lasts while it continues .

This could be done through Hotel or Apartment rents and proof of expenditure like internal airfares restaurant receipts , hire car.

Shopping.

It would boost economy and filter out the less fortunate for their own good

Good luck with getting receipts from the bar girlslaugh.png

This was reported in the Bangkok post where they said "Some were not carrying passports with them as they are legally required to do so" <deleted>?

A few months ago the RTP said you do NOT need to be carrying your passport.

More policy on the run.

...in all fairness...

...many foreigners come here...and for whatever reason...we know the main reason....'lose their shirts'....

...with nothing left...nowhere to turn.....they end up in that situation....

...the laws are often hard to understand or follow as well......

...and many foreigners get 'friendly advice'....which ends up costing them more than they ever imagined....

If you do not have a valid visa or over stay you are breaking the law that goes for every country. Try that stunt in most countries you will be fined, jailed and later deported and you NEVER return. So those of you that are bitching about the police checking visas etc. What are you hiding from? I wish the police or the military would serious consider random road blocks. Curious how many in Pattaya alone or even on this forum would make it past without getting nabbed. Stop your moaning , get a valid visa, turn yourself in , or better yet just leave. This is Thailand . This is not your home country. If you don,t like the rules or the way Thailand operates leave.

Your first line says it all. Legit Visa ! If the guys visa was OK, he would not have a problem. The rest of your rant doesn't matter.

We have been told time and time again that we don't need to carry a passport at all times. If they checked me they would not find a passport to check.

I agree. The thing is the size of a passport. It's not as though you can keep it in your wallet. They would be like gold dust to the pickpockets on baht buses and Walking St etc. You need a fairly big pocket to house the thing.

As I stated earlier, I'm a long term retirement visa man and I'm lucky to have Thai driving licences. When I came here on holiday in the old days, my passport stayed in the hotel safe - not the room version but the double lock one in reception. That's what the manager advised.

Still, I might get one of these laminated, credit card sized ones made up.

You are wrong. They are foreign criminals. You have a problem with that? This is not a discussion about lady boys. Please reread the subject.

Correct me if I am wrong. So far I was under the impression, that the "Tourist-Police" is here to assist foreigners in "problem-situations". (Translation service, mediation in conflict situations, etc etc).

And now they are shaking down small-time Farang criminals, instead of getting rid of those Lady Boy Predators on Beach Road (for example). Oh boy !

Cheers.

But all us foreigners are "guests" in this country, as so many other foreigners keep saying.

I know, in law, I'm supposed to carry my passport everywhere and I freely admit I don't. Just my Thai driving license.

This article appears to imply that everyone they checked had their passport with them - or am I mis-reading it?. If they did have them then they are pretty upright law abiding visitors.

I never carry my passport with me when I go out and about, I do not agree with that law, so I don't obey it.

Just as I don't wear underpants either.

I have a legit visa. I am not a criminal.

The more this mad cap place gets madder, the more I think its time to move on. 11 years and counting and I read the same stuff over and over again in the news.

The latest madness with a long term "Tourist" visa is a nail in the coffin. You need a job, ( gap year students forget it ) you need to show how much money you have in the bank..

Same here, it is becoming increasingly difficult to spend winters in Thailand. This latest rounding up foreigners is just one of the many, many things that make me want to leave.

The new multiple visa is impossible for me to get, since Im not employd. I used double and triple entries, those are history now. There is almost no way for a legitimate tourist to stay here 5-6 months, without bending some of the requirements.

The rounding up tourists on Walking St reminds me of pogroms. Pattaya is dead as it is, yet for some reason the few Europeans that come here are harrassed, and staying here for winter made as difficult as possible. If I had family, or love interest here, I'd jump through the hoops, but I dont have. If this place was totally amazing in some way, I'd be willing to struggle to stay here, but it isn't. There are lots of negatives, and only few positive.

It is difficult to go through the day knowing and seeing how unwanted we are here.

Maybe Im just in bad mood, I witnessed a robbery, a necless snatch last night at 1am on Beach Rd. One of the moto boys called police, no one came, after about 20 minutes the 4 tourists, friends of victim started walking towards soi 9. Depressing.

I think it is about time you left Thailand.

If you stay you will become more depressed.

Another one of the "if you don't like it, go home" brigade.

So, go away and don't come back!

The "if you don't like it, go home" brigade strikes again.

I know, in law, I'm supposed to carry my passport everywhere and I freely admit I don't. Just my Thai driving license.

This article appears to imply that everyone they checked had their passport with them - or am I mis-reading it?. If they did have them then they are pretty upright law abiding visitors.

Strange actions by the police. Not so very long ago, either earlier this year or late last year, the senior police office stated to TV that visitors were not expected, nor required to carry their passports around with them, and long stayers could get by with a drivers' licence. I have a copy of it somewhere, I'll try to dig it out.

I also recall this

It's being reported in the Bangkok Post also. With a comment that according to Thai law, you need to have your passport on you at all times. Confusing, eh?

There is not such a thing as "Thai" law, or rules, everyone makes up their own, the Immigration offices, the banks, local amphurs etc, Oh wait!, I forgot the police.

I will not carry my passport with me. I do have a thai DL; if that is not good enough then jail me. But, I require a medical device at night so they better have one. I'm getting dam tired of this place.

Come on you members of the "if you don't like it, go home" brigade, tell Sabaii69.

I got it straight from an official at Immigration that you are NOT required to carry your passport at all times. No consistency at all. I only carry a passport CARD. Of course this does not contain my retirement visa or any stamps, it merely shows that I own a passport.

Go to another official at another Immigration Office, and they may very well tell you different.

We have been told time and time again that we don't need to carry a passport at all times. If they checked me they would not find a passport to check.

A copy of the passport and visastamp will do .

I never carry the original with me , I live here . A copy together with a Thai driving license is more than enough.

Edited by balo

in some countries you are innocent until proven guilty. In Thailand, you are guilty until proven innocent. Just walking down the street is enough reason for a police cop to stop you and demand to search your body. Refusing is a crime. It's sucks, but Thailand is like that.

And for the lazy police it's much easier to shake down a tourist who offers little resistance than the mr bigs of the criminal world.

If you don't like it, go homecheesy.gifcheesy.gif

This will get in the news and can do nothing to help the Tourist industry ,

Maybe at Airport Immigration they can hand you an "official" copy printout of your passport / visa that you can carry around with you.

It is the end of the year and officials all over Thailand are trying to get the last few "tea money" gifts,

Don't agree.

Why would genuine tourists be concerned? They have the correct visa or visa waiver entitlement. They don't overstay. Most are not sex tourists. Many do visit places like Walking Street out of curiosity. And want that visit to be safe.

The police show their presence in these areas and do, albeit occasionally, and possibly for the wrong reasons, inspect establishment to check compliance with some laws.

Now, if the police were really doing their job, and stopping the lady boy gangs and other thieves, then things would be better.

As for "tea money" I'm sure the need for it increases at certain times a year but these foreigners weren't being asked for tea money, AFAIK. Their visas were being checked to make sure they were here legally. Those on overstay or without visas are criminals. Just as they would be in most any other country.

Overstay your visa in the UK and you are required to report to a police force, not immigration.

If only the traffic police were as good at their jobs as these guys in Walking Street. The disgraceful road fatalities might go down a bit.

More important than the ladyboy gangs and other thieves.

If you do not have a valid visa or over stay you are breaking the law that goes for every country. Try that stunt in most countries you will be fined, jailed and later deported and you NEVER return. So those of you that are bitching about the police checking visas etc. What are you hiding from? I wish the police or the military would serious consider random road blocks. Curious how many in Pattaya alone or even on this forum would make it past without getting nabbed. Stop your moaning , get a valid visa, turn yourself in , or better yet just leave. This is Thailand . This is not your home country. If you don,t like the rules or the way Thailand operates leave.

Another one of the.....Oh! never mind.

Pattaya is the one place where I usually do carry my passport, specifically for this reason.

Although just supplying your Departure card number should bring up your last entry and visa type in 2 seconds for any immigration officer. So really any photo ID (like driver's license) plus passport copy and departure card copy should be sufficient to clear up any immigration status question.

Still.. it's Pattaya so I err on the side of caution and just bring passport.

I was aware of the law with regards to carrying passports and I never carry my passport with me unless I know specifically that I will need it. Certainly one of the last places I would carry it around with me would be Pattaya. Whenever identification is needed, one of my Thai driving licences has always been sufficient. That being my motorcycle or car driving licences, before some smartass questions why I have two and infers they might be in different names! 555

I'm guessing the only person carrying a passport was the dude that ended up in prison

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk