What To Do Here ...

HouseHunter

Just wondering what people get up to here in cmx?

I hear from the pharangs I meet that going to a bar and picking up random thai chick is about the standard form of entertainment here other than finding good food. They are 35-50 y.o guys who tell me all the stories of thai chicks they meet and how they are all interested in getting money from pharangs, and the way they get around or use this to their benefit and the whole thing seems quite depressing really. So heading to a bar/club doesn't sound too good on that side.

Though I did head out last weekend to a nice bar with a thai friend of someone I met over seas, which was nice. I met a couple of nice pharangs there, but the idea of just going into a bar/club on my own doesn't really sit well. I'm not the extrovert who goes up and starts chatting to random people and sitting alone is pretty depressing.

So wondering if anyone else has been in that situation when they first hit cmx?

I hear from the pharangs I meet that going to a bar and picking up random thai chick is about the standard form of entertainment here other than finding good food. They are 35-50 y.o guys who tell me all the stories of thai chicks they meet and how they are all interested in getting money from pharangs, and the way they get around or use this to their benefit and the whole thing seems quite depressing really. So heading to a bar/club doesn't sound too good on that side.

Though I did head out last weekend to a nice bar with a thai friend of someone I met over seas, which was nice. I met a couple of nice pharangs there, but the idea of just going into a bar/club on my own doesn't really sit well. I'm not the extrovert who goes up and starts chatting to random people and sitting alone is pretty depressing.

First of all you don't "pick them up", you pay them, they service you, that's it. Just remember you are paying them to LEAVE.. Seriously though, if you can speak Thai there are some cool-ish places to go where you may just pick one up, chances are super slim though, as there is a stigma attached to Thai women seen with Farangs.. In time you will know this.. Best of luck on your quest..

First of all you don't "pick them up", you pay them, they service you, that's it. Just remember you are paying them to LEAVE.. Seriously though, if you can speak Thai there are some cool-ish places to go where you may just pick one up, chances are super slim though, as there is a stigma attached to Thai women seen with Farangs.. In time you will know this.. Best of luck on your quest..

Well, it's not necessarily a quest to find a meaningful relationship. More of a quest of what to get up to here in general and meeting people.

It would appear to me that the foreigners you have met are fairly narrow minded. The novelty of 'picking up a random thai chick' will wear off eventually (hopefully). Perhaps they haven't had much luck with ladies in the country they come from and now with a little bit of money they can live out their "dreams".

Edited by Blinky Bill

Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about yourself - your age-group, gender and interests might help us give you more suggestions, and perhaps hook you up with other expats.

Late 20's (ok 30 :o ), male (str8).

Hmm ... guess I'm looking to meet people to chill out with, like meet up for dinner/drinks/chatting.

It would appear to me that the foreigners you have met are fairly narrow minded. The novelty of 'picking up a random thai chick' will wear off eventually (hopefully). Perhaps they haven't had much luck with ladies in the country they come from and now with a little bit of money they can live out their "dreams".

Yeah, I probably just ran into a few that gave me a bad impression, which with so much time on my hands at the moment, stuck in my head.

Whatever you like doing where you came from, do here. If you like taking photos, walk around and take photos. If you like playing a sport, go play that sport. If you like to read, go the the AUA library. If you do what you enjoy, chances are you will encounter others with similar interests and perhaps you will get along and make friends. Since you're not into the bar scene, it's not surprising that you didn't click with the people you met in bars. Same principle.

Where are the cool-ish places? though chances are super slim but still can try...if try.. still got 50%..no try is 0%

couldnt agree more blinky.you see many farang going over to thailand and totally disrespecting thai bar girls.acting like they own the place,when in truth its the only bit of action they will probably see,as these creatures are prob "not so lucky" back home.

nothing to brag about having to pay for sex and picking up random girls.

well househunter i am 27,so similar age to you - i would suggest staying away from places like spicy and bubble if you are a bit of an introvert.many ok clubs and bars around,try warm up,hot shots,rooftop bar,cm saloon,un irish etc so many non bar girl places.

btw you wont even have to chat up girls,they will approach you in most cases(ie you are 30 years old,i presume you are british or australian perhaps.if you are 18-35 and english in c mai and look and dress good,you will get tonnes of attention and free sex(if wanted) no problem.buying drinks for them will be the only cost.

good luck

After reading Chiangmai Foxy's pep talk, I thought I'd chime in.

I'm early 30's in Pattaya. Sadly the first question whenever I meet a girl is "where do you work?" If she says bar, I just tell her I'm not giving her any money. So now I've got a 50% chance of her going with me.

I think being a young guy helps because 9/10 say yes, no problem. They don't see me as a customer and I don't get sick buffalo stories ever. They heap that on the 2 week vacationers. They also call me whenever they want a quiet sleep or a root. I never have any need to lie to them. All is upfront and open. They know I see others and so do they. It's all good.

I don't believe what is written about this stigma of being with a farang. Farangs can take care of these Thai girls and I think deep down they know it too so in my opinion, the intelligent ones go for farangs. Many Thai girls also go with farangs because Thai men wouldn't go for them like bar girls or girls with very dark skin.

There are many Thais that wouldn't give a bar girl the time of day. They can't believe we come all this way to take out a little dark skinned Isan girl!

You might try the clubs/events/messages sections of http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/ .

Noticed the following there (but know nothing about it so cannot endorse in any way) :

Welcome to free English/Thai conversation group

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Talkarama is an open, free of charge, and bilingual conversation group where people can practice their language skills in English and Thai, and socialize with locals and travelers. The group meet weekly every Saturday from 7:30 to 9 pm in Wawee Coffee, 2 soi 9. Nimmanhaeminda Road, Suthep, Muang, Chiang Mai 50100. If you come from Rincome intersection, turn to the left from Powerhouse Gym-sign, and after 20 meters the caf้ will be on the right hand side. More information about Talkarama is available at http://www.talkarama.com/

Might be worth a try.

I don't believe what is written about this stigma of being with a farang.

How many of the girls you meet are actually born in Pattaya?

The vast majority of Thai girls would be in trouble from their families if they knew about them having casual sex with one or many foreigners. Now for girls from poor backgrounds, money will be more important and their status is already quite low, so they dont have anything much to lose - especially if they live away from their families and the place where they were brought up. They will have the freedom to play around if they so wish - this is usually not the case with middle class or upper class girls living with or near their families though - although girls from these backgrounds studying away from home may also play around a little.

The typical Thai family is tightly knit and everybody keeps track of each other and the younger ones have to respect their elders. Pattaya, and to some extent all tourist destinations and larger cities, are exceptions where different rules apply and where many girls are outside of their families' control.

Now, to get back on topic, what to do in Chiang Mai, I pursue my interests... music, movies, reading, exploring the surrounding area, eating good food, etc. The bars I go to focus mainly on live music and not on scoring chicks. As a result I dont meet many new people, but I'm ok with that.

well househunter i am 27,so similar age to you - i would suggest staying away from places like spicy and bubble if you are a bit of an introvert.many ok clubs and bars around,try warm up,hot shots,rooftop bar,cm saloon,un irish etc so many non bar girl places.

btw you wont even have to chat up girls,they will approach you in most cases(ie you are 30 years old,i presume you are british or australian perhaps.if you are 18-35 and english in c mai and look and dress good,you will get tonnes of attention and free sex(if wanted) no problem.buying drinks for them will be the only cost.

good luck

So you just head to a bar/club and drink on your own ... then after a while some girl will just come over and chat?

You really need to tell people your interests , how long you've been here , what you have already done . Wouldn't hurt to hook up with a local girl that speaks a little english . Hire , buy , or borrow a motorbike and visit some of the attractions a little further out . Reading books about the country you are in . Finding a cool place to sit and daydream and contemplate your future .

We don't know you , other than being 30ish and not liking the bar scene .

I haven't been to Chang Mai yet , but from what I have heard , it is very foreigner friendly .

Go carts were mentioned in an earlier thread . :o

Cheers ,

Jim .

good luck

So you just head to a bar/club and drink on your own ... then after a while some girl will just come over and chat?

absolutely so - i always go out with friends who come with me from england,but many english farang i know have no quarms about going out on their own.as chiang mai is the friendliest place i have seen so far,and for male and female farang,extremely easy to hook up with the opposite sex.

if you dont want to drink on your own,many decent farang around to drink with

I hear from the pharangs I meet that going to a bar and picking up random thai chick is about the standard form of entertainment here other than finding good food. They are 35-50 y.o guys who tell me all the stories of thai chicks they meet ...

35-50 years old???

I thought most of those guys were in their 60's!

Anyway, I ride a bike, usually with some British and European friends. There's also a CM Sunday Cycling Club that leaves from Tha Pai Gate every Sunday morning at about 8:00am. They go at a very moderate pace. Their rides are usually anwhere from 40 to 75 km.

Now you know all about us but you still haven't told us what you do.