Fitness First

farang1979

Thinking of joining FF. Have heard good and bad about the place. Have checked out Fit Answers but their gym wasn't all that for what worked out at over 2000B a month. I'm wondering what are the prices like at FF, is there any joining fee and do you have to pre-pay an amount up front. Because Fitness Answers wanted 3 months' up front which seemed a bit excessive.

Why not ask them while you'll looking at the place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's always one. Anyone else help?

I was actually being serious for once

You going to have a look so get all the info there, then at least you know it's correct

I was actually being serious for once

You going to have a look so get all the info there, then at least you know it's correct

It's like those people that say "Google it".

To be fair, it's a valid comment, you can negotiate the price and fees with the FF sales agent, roughly you can expect around 2k THB a month depending on the package you want, as there are also different standards of FF gym across BKK

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

To be fair, it's a valid comment, you can negotiate the price and fees with the FF sales agent, roughly you can expect around 2k THB a month depending on the package you want, as there are also different standards of FF gym across BKK

The main thing is; do you have to pay any upfront fees?

Because the other place wanted three months or 6000B up front. If FF don't, then I'll probably sign up with them. I expect to pay around 2000B anyway.

The main thing is; do you have to pay any upfront fees?

Because the other place wanted three months or 6000B up front. If FF don't, then I'll probably sign up with them. I expect to pay around 2000B anyway.

They have a setup fee, 1600THB I think, not aware of any requirement to pay anything else up front

1600 for set up fee +1600 for Body First program.

You can search for someone who wants to transfer that membership. He will be pleased to pay transfer fee for you and you won't need to pay whole that installation fee.

Suggestion http://search.thaisecondhand.com/%3Fkeyword%3DFitnessFirst%26x%3D22%26y%3D14/

So, just so I undertand this. Its effectively a 1600B joining fee. And then the other 1600B for Body First programme. Is that a normal programme? Are there other programmes?

I have been with FF for 6 years. At the time, there was no joining fee. It is true you can negotiate. I negotiated a package where I can only go to one location, and I pay up front 12 months. They give me 1 month free if I do that. I got much cheaper than the standard sales pitch. I have also heard that some people don't get towels, etc. for a better price. The sales staff work on commission, so be prepared to walk away if they don't give you what you want. I remember that I stood up, and told the guy I would think about it. Then I started to leave. He immediately gave me a better deal and said the deal would not be available tomorrow. Just like a used care salesmen.

• 2 weeks later...

I am w FF for 2+ years. You cannot negotiate their packages. You can probably negotiate to get less than what they offer like being able to go to only 1 club. The prices are always the same and clearly advertised.

There is a joining fee plus the first month and some other fee. I think the minimum is 3 month contract, then 5 month and 1 yr.

I went for the 1yr because the monthly fees go down as you sign a longer contract. My contract expired over a year ago and I have been doing month to month ever since. You can also purchase the 1 or 2 yr upfront and get a reduced rate plus 1 or 2 months free.

I pay $73.77, don't know how much in Thai baht since they just charge my credit card from the US. My gf pays $85.65, she signed a 5 month contract.

We both have platinum memberships and can go to any club. I don't know how much is for the regular club. In case you want to go to the club at Siam Paragon that is a platinum club and you would have to pay for a platinum membership.

There is also Virgin Active which is the best one but a bit more expensive and they have only 2 location w 1 more opening soon at Discover near Siam Paragon. I will probably switch to Virgin Active when they open that location.

Go and sign up with one of your Thai girlfriends. I went alone and they wouldn't drop below 2800 baht a month, then I took one of my serious Thai girlfriends along (the one I might marry by 2030 if she plays her cards right), and she successfully negotiated the monthly rate down to 1200 baht, not a bad deal I think. She's 5'10" and naturally busty and she used her imposing physique to good effect in charming the guy I signed up with.

I took over a colleague's contract at FF about 3 years ago when she moved out of Bangkok. I remember that I could go to any club, (except the Premium clubs I think) towels were not included, and it was about 2,200 THB per month after taxes. I'm not sure if there were any joining fees or deposit up front because my contract was a takeover. I stopped the contract after the year was up because I found that the club that was most convenient for me was just too small and the group fitness classes that I wanted to attend were mostly offered during my working hours.

I know it's not FF, but a few months ago, my husband and I joined WE Fitness. I got a 2-year contract and paid in a lump sum up front by Thai credit card which averaged out to less than 1,500 THB per month

The sales rep we had made things really complicated, which I've heard is the norm for most gyms in Bangkok. She talked through everything really fast and there were all of these "conditions." Like, if you join for 12 months and pay cash up front it is X,XXX THB but if you pay by Thai credit card it is another amount and if you pay month-to-month it's a different amount, etc. There were different prices to have access to one club or all clubs. In the end, our "joining fee" was waived but the "processing fee" was not.

My husband's membership is month-to-month, and he had to pay the first and last month and the processing fee on the day we signed up. Perhaps it's the norm for this type of gym..

I go early in morning. Not busy and a few people always request to turn down the music. Prices are not the same for everyone from what I have experienced. After a one year stint, I decided to pay monthly cash and no extra fees were added. This allows me to walk away anytime without losing a dime.\

I agree with above post about going to the gym yourself. You will get too many different answers from here. Go get teh facts yourself straight up.

If I lived closer to Muscle Factory, off sukumvit soi 55 ish, I would go there hands down. ซอย สุขุมวิท 56 แยก 3-1 Bang Chak, Phra Khanong, Bangkok 10260

I could be wrong but I think fitness first has set prices. One price for a single gym, one price for all of their gyms including Platinum ones (the ones with towels) and one price for all gyms which aren't Platinum.

If you pay cash in advance for a year you get a free month.

Other than the fact that the music is too loud at some of the branches they are pretty well run and well maintained gyms.

I like being able to go to different branches around Bangkok to mix it up.

After Cal Wow bit the dust I tried Wow Fitness at Ekamie for a year. I find Fitness First much better.

Just to bitch a little, at peak periods most of the weight machines are occupied by moronic <deleted> looking at their phones.

Edited by ricklev

I got a deal for 2400B Per month. 1600 joining fee. And 1600b back after 3 months provided I go at least 8 days in a month (easy). The World Wide Platinum access is only available at the Siam gym. It's a well equipped and clean gym with excellent facilities. Classes and steam room too. They're just missing a pool and jacuzzis. I'm glad I signed up.

• 1 month later...

Couldnt get a straight answer out of Fitness First, good luck.

After telling them I didnt want bodyfirst, just tell me price to join today and start (I had the year fee plus a few in cash on me), she started scribbling numbers about refund and cheaper to take body first (some PT program), but the brochure mentioned something different that wasnt quite a straight refund as to what she was saying, very confusing, obviously there is high commission or a target to achieve in pushing bodyfirst. It didn't seem that you could just pay 1600+(12*monthly) and join without some bodyfirst and refund thing.. nightmare. After persisting I not taking no bodyfirst malarkey she punched some more numbers in the calculator but didn't want to wrtite down the non-bodyfirst signup deal, it seemed there were set on confusing.

Then they said it needed to be paid by a real credit card, not cash, not thai debit card, presumably so it gives them full power with continuous charging authority.

In the end I thought they were going to they start asking how many times I year I holiday and how much I spend on hotels wink.png In the end I walked out and joined another smaller gym, paid in cash, formality sorted in five minutes.

If FF marketing manager is reading, have a deal where a falang can join and pay 12 months upfront, pay in cash and skip all the bodyfirst hardsell..

Facilities were nice though, monthly fee reasonable, if only you could just join before the upselling starts

Edited by casualobserver

After telling them I didnt want bodyfirst, just tell me price to join today and start (I had the year fee plus a few in cash on me), she started scribbling numbers about refund and cheaper to take body first (some PT program), but the brochure mentioned something different that wasnt quite a straight refund as to what she was saying, very confusing, obviously there is high commission or a target to achieve in pushing bodyfirst. It didn't seem that you could just pay 1600+(12*monthly) and join without some bodyfirst and refund thing.. nightmare. After persisting I not taking no bodyfirst malarkey she punched some more numbers in the calculator but didn't want to wrtite down the non-bodyfirst signup deal, it seemed there were set on confusing.

Then they said it needed to be paid by a real credit card, not cash, not thai debit card, presumably so it gives them full power with continuous charging authority.

In the end I thought they were going to they start asking how many times I year I holiday and how much I spend on hotels wink.png In the end I walked out and joined another smaller gym, paid in cash, formality sorted in five minutes.

If FF marketing manager is reading, have a deal where a falang can join and pay 12 months upfront, pay in cash and skip all the bodyfirst hardsell..

Facilities were nice though, monthly fee reasonable, if only you could just join before the upselling starts

It sounds like they were trying to sell you the bodyfirst programme and the refund would be you have to attend 8 times in a month for three months plus 3 or 4 free PT sessions. I actually tried a place called Fit Answers (or something similar) and they wanted 6000B up front. Their gym was very small and had no facilities. My advice would be to stay calm, I know it's incredibly frustrating when you're dealing with someone who can't speak English and you can't speak Thai. Luckily I had a Thai speaker with me who managed to do the negotiation on my behalf or else I would never have signed up. If you're thinking of signing up, it's an excellent gym with lots of gyms around Bangkok to go to. You'll pay a little more if you pay with your bank rather than a credit card - something which Thailand seems obsessed with. But at the end of the day it's your health and if you think about it, it's maybe less than 100B a day your investing in feeling much better, looking better and having much more energy. What else you gonna spend that money on? (p.s. I wasn't paid nor do I work for FF) ✌ ;-) Edited by farang1979

It sounds like they were trying to sell you the bodyfirst programme and the refund would be you have to attend 8 times in a month for three months plus 3 or 4 free PT sessions. I actually tried a place called Fit Answers (or something similar) and they wanted 6000B up front. Their gym was very small and had no facilities. My advice would be to stay calm, I know it's incredibly frustrating when you're dealing with someone who can't speak English and you can't speak Thai. Luckily I had a Thai speaker with me who managed to do the negotiation on my behalf or else I would never have signed up. If you're thinking of signing up, it's an excellent gym with lots of gyms around Bangkok to go to. You'll pay a little more if you pay with your bank rather than a credit card - something which Thailand seems obsessed with. But at the end of the day it's your health and if you think about it, it's maybe less than 100B a day your investing in feeling much better, looking better and having much more energy. What else you gonna spend that money on? (p.s. I wasn't paid nor do I work for FF) ✌ ;-)

Thanks for clarification, I guess that sounds similar to what I was offered, possibly, who knows, they lost a sale that day anyway with their confusing pitch.

I joined another gym, smaller granted, but perfect for my needs with fairly good machines, almost zero english was spoken but this was a normal place where cash up-front was our medium of communication and formalities were done in 5 mins.

Edited by casualobserver

It sounds like they were trying to sell you the bodyfirst programme and the refund would be you have to attend 8 times in a month for three months plus 3 or 4 free PT sessions. I actually tried a place called Fit Answers (or something similar) and they wanted 6000B up front. Their gym was very small and had no facilities. My advice would be to stay calm, I know it's incredibly frustrating when you're dealing with someone who can't speak English and you can't speak Thai. Luckily I had a Thai speaker with me who managed to do the negotiation on my behalf or else I would never have signed up. If you're thinking of signing up, it's an excellent gym with lots of gyms around Bangkok to go to. You'll pay a little more if you pay with your bank rather than a credit card - something which Thailand seems obsessed with. But at the end of the day it's your health and if you think about it, it's maybe less than 100B a day your investing in feeling much better, looking better and having much more energy. What else you gonna spend that money on? (p.s. I wasn't paid nor do I work for FF) ✌ ;-)

Thanks for clarification, I guess that sounds similar to what I was offered, possibly, who knows, they lost a sale that day anyway with their confusing pitch.

I joined another gym, smaller granted, but perfect for my needs with fairly good machines, almost zero english was spoken but this was a normal place where cash up-front was our medium of communication and formalities were done in 5 mins.

Happy training dude! ☺