Wild Dog Menace on Koh Samui

When will something be done about the growing problem of dogs running wild on the beaches and streets of Koh Samui. People come here for a holiday unaware of the dog menace. They are becoming real nuisance in my area, Maenam constantly chasing motor cycles and frightening pedestrians. Only last week an Englishman in his sixties,was brutally attacked in Lamai and subsequently died in hospital from his injuries, yet nothing appears in the media, and nothing appears to be done. Just a silence from authorities. I guess they are afraid of the tourist industry getting to hear about it. People outside of Koh Samui need to know of this danger.

Every once in awhile some Thais take care of the dog population.

Sometimes after numerous complaints by people in the neighborhood...or by tourists to the hotel staff enough times.

I would discourage any farang from taking matters into their own hands and killing dogs unless the dog actually is attacking...I am involved in a Spay/Neuter program here and I have seen Thais get very angry over what is commonly defined as a Soi Dog with no rightful ownership. Ofcourse, you are probably as aware of this as I am since you have over 6,000 posts ;-)

I will look forward to your solution. Hopefully it will be creative and successful.

Every once in awhile some Thais take care of the dog population.

Sometimes after numerous complaints by people in the neighborhood...or by tourists to the hotel staff enough times.

I would discourage any farang from taking matters into their own hands and killing dogs unless the dog actually is attacking...I am involved in a Spay/Neuter program here and I have seen Thais get very angry over what is commonly defined as a Soi Dog with no rightful ownership. Ofcourse, you are probably as aware of this as I am since you have over 6,000 posts ;-)

I will look forward to your solution. Hopefully it will be creative and successful.

Yes , been here over 8 years, but in my area they seem to be breeding too fast. I doubt if any govt department will take any notice, and the dogs only seem to have owners when one gets hit by a car etc., then its money ! But in light of the recent deathly attack , one would think this might ring an alarm bell somewhere.

Have been going to Lamai Beach for the past 10 years and it one of my biggest pet hates.

If you walk along the beach there seem to be dogs everywhere. Then they appear in the Main Street at night. All rather unpleasant.

Get rid of them and ladyboys on motor bikes, they seem to appear out of nowhere, and it will be a much nicer place.

Is there a dog problem in chaweng too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No..

There are dog problems all over the island and they are a massive hazard to people on motorbikes as they will lie down to sleep in the middle of the road, stand in the road and run after perceive 'owners' etc. If you are riding around be careful.

No..

There are dog problems all over the island and they are a massive hazard to people on motorbikes as they will lie down to sleep in the middle of the road, stand in the road and run after perceive 'owners' etc. If you are riding around be careful.

Some places are worse than others.

No..

Some places are worse than others.

Still not a problem, the problem is people moving here and wants it to be like 'home'.

Still not a problem, the problem is people moving here and wants it to be like 'home'.

I would say the problem is that people think Thailand is not a third world country.

Too address the meat of the OP.......

Animals have a defence mechanism to avoid death or injury, we are also animals. If I feel threatened by an animal then I will do whatever is required to extinguish that threat. That has nothing whatsoever to do with Thailand or any other country, it is a natural reaction to a situation.

Tosh!

The roads are dangerous and it is a problem, a big problem but seemingly senior people on these forums think it is 'not a problem'. Samui is one of the worst places in the world to be on the road as well as the dogs there is the pot holes, poorly signed roadworks and crazy drivers who are happy to overtake on blind bends or just even overtake when there is room to do so. I know it so I'm careful.

Take my advice be careful if you ride or drive on the island and be defensive rather than aggressive in your riding/driving. If you're on a bike wear a helmet, they save lives.

Tosh!

The roads are dangerous and it is a problem, a big problem but seemingly senior people on these forums think it is 'not a problem'. Samui is one of the worst places in the world to be on the road as well as the dogs there is the pot holes, poorly signed roadworks and crazy drivers who are happy to overtake on blind bends or just even overtake when there is room to do so. I know it so I'm careful.

Take my advice be careful if you ride or drive on the island and be defensive rather than aggressive in your riding/driving. If you're on a bike wear a helmet, they save lives.

This topic is about dogs and not traversing in general.

Tosh!

Aren't we all glad that the rest of Thailand doesn't have these problems - no potholes, no crazy drivers, no dogs ...

Have been going to Lamai Beach for the past 10 years and it one of my biggest pet hates.

If you walk along the beach there seem to be dogs everywhere. Then they appear in the Main Street at night. All rather unpleasant.

Get rid of them and ladyboys on motor bikes, they seem to appear out of nowhere, and it will be a much nicer place.

Are you equating the law abiding ladyboys with rabid soi dogs?

Tough question that

Tough question that

Oh. I thought the question was rhetoric and the answer was elementary.

Archived