I didn't come here to be miserable

I came to Canada at 19. Did ok money wise but was depressed because it is extremely hard to connect with people and other irritating issues. Canadian women have been mostly fine to me, so this is not the reason. Decided to move to Thailand because I was already familiar with the country somewhat (and it's cheap). So, this is my second big move in adulthood and it was not easy. The first paragraph is just a little intro about me. Basically I left my first country because of the war and I left Canada because of lack of any kind of genuine social interaction.... yeah... blah, blah, blah

Anyway, this is a rant.

This is a great site, but I think I will be avoiding "That News" section from now on. I noticed that since I started getting "familiar" with Thai politics my life has become increasingly miserable. My gf comes back from work and I grill her about the latest developments in Thailand. I am sure it's the last thing on her mind that she wants to hear after being stuck in traffic. Like many here, I start to judge this country and "foresee" Thailand going back to the dark ages.

But what has really changed since I came here? Nothing. The only thing that changed was me.

Thai people are still nice to me and in the past 2 and a half years here I didn't have a single bad incident.

The problems Thailand has were always present in the past. I was fully aware of them when I moved here. As a matter of fact my life is much easier than I expected except some health issues that I can not control.

It is really comical to see how many Westerners (including me up to now) get worked out about Thai politics when it doesn't affect them Some make excuses that because they have significant investments and/or family they feel the need to voice their displeasure. My argument is that nothing has changed. Police was always dodgy, education was always bad and some girls were always after money.

This is my reasoning. Nothing has changed for the average "Farang". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As a Thai I call Thailand my home and I wouldn't like to live anywhere else.

I took a vacation to Italy once and I hated it. Sure I had fun for a couple of days but after that, I was dying to go home. I was sure I'd be a miserable man if I ever worked and lived in Italy, if that's even possible considering the unemployment rate for fresh graduates in many developed countries, not just Europe.

You're making yourself miserable. You keep hoping Thailand would be rid of corruption, poverty, poor education, etc. but if that'd ever happened, the country as a whole has to be developed, and if that happens, most of you wouldn't be here. It'd be like Singapore, a developed tropical country, I don't see farangs with a smiley face and big beer belly over there, just farangs enjoying the time of their life in Singapore! 555555555

Personally I wouldn't live here if I didn't have Thai citizenship. If you live here and don't have Thai citizenship, it obviously means you really want to be here no? If you don't like Thailand, move somewhere else.

Be where it makes you happy. You have a privilege billions of people don't have, choice.

It's Christmas. Pour yourself a drink and have some fun.

Indeed ^^^.

Our Thai friends have just finished decimating a fairly traditional xmas lunch (pork loin with rosemary and garlic together with roast chicken), the village kids are currently in the process of emptying the pool whilst trying to drown their siblings.

It's 34C and sunny, what's to be miserable about?

I think I get your point. Thai politics doesn't really impact my life, so I tend to ignore it. If anything, I follow US politics...mostly for entertainment. Now that's maddeningly frustrating because I can understand clearly what's going on (unlike farangs following Thai politics). If I was living back in the USA and had to deal with US politics on a regular basis, I'd probably drown myself in the toilet bowl.

I live her for 10 years now, when I move here I know I go more than 20 years back in time, but the quality of life it give me

was bigger, than the feeling to go back in time. I don't care so much of the politics, as long it don't effect my family.

Here I can Live, and feel good in body and soul, that I could not in my home country,

and today my home country is in allot worse situation than what happen here,

so I stay! and feel grateful that I got such a good life.

Merry Christmas.

Tom.

I think I get your point. Thai politics doesn't really impact my life, so I tend to ignore it. If anything, I follow US politics...mostly for entertainment. Now that's maddeningly frustrating because I can understand clearly what's going on (unlike farangs following Thai politics). If I was living back in the USA and had to deal with US politics on a regular basis, I'd probably drown myself in the toilet bowl.

Ha, ha,...I tried to drown myself in a nearby pond at the golf course, but could not keep me head down there either..? Politics in the U.S. Is nothing to get worked up about....just a clown car of folks trying to amuse the masses.....??

There is little enough you can do about politics if you are allowed to vote and run for office. When you cannot do either, you are at the mercy of those who can--and those who can are usually the pawns of even more influential parties.

You can complain, you can be active, you can learn to live with it, or you can realize you do have the right to vote anywhere. I vote with my feet.

To feel happy or miserable doesn't depend on the country you live in.

It is up to you to decide to feel happy or miserable.

The OP mentioning his health problems. Quite likely they come from feeling unhappy.

Read Rhonda Byrne's book: The Power. Then you will understand what I'm talking about.

Advice number two: Stop reading/listening/watching Thai news, because you are never fully informed anyway.

Personally I read the headlines, never watch TV. Only thing that saddens me now is the verdict about the Koh Tao murder case.

I am so sorry for the two young Burmese men.

I live and work here for 6 years. I like this country . I had some bad incidents with people looking down on me because I am not Thai and never I will be. Most Thais are taught at school since the beginning that they are better than other people.the same as Israeli people. But I over come this issue by showing them that I am just human like them and at the end it becomes better.

News Break!!!!! Thailand is not Disney World. It is a real place with real problems. People who moving here expecting paradise and everything will be fun and games should move to pattaya and line up at the balcony edge. If you want to live here take the good with the bad. Multiple flights each day going home if that's not acceptable.

I think avoiding politics and the news is good for mental health and is good anywhere. You likely can't change anything and there is so much good and fun to just accept and embrace as part of life here - why focus on something that upsets you and likely is meaningless in your daily life...

I live in farm country and nobody ever talks politics here. They work hard and in their off time they prefer to chat with family, lay in the hammock, in short, pursue things that are relaxing or enjoyable. Why get upset over politics.

I grew up in the West and understand that we are taught that we should be informed - and I do keep in touch generally with the news though I rarely feel I can trust the sources anymore in my home country. But I live with people who are not terribly informed and they seem much happier. When people are happier in general than where I came from, I think I have something to learn.

If you can't keep it in a proper and healthy perspective, turn it off… just as a treat for yourself.

Some people bring their misery with them and then blame Thailand.

Too many people have unrealistic expectations for what Thailand will offer them, compared to the experiences they've had most of their lives back in farangland, just as children develop unrealistic expectations about all the presents they'll receive at Christmas. Once they've settled into life here, or opened all their presents, they may feel let down, but rather than accept that the problem was caused by their "irrational exuberance," [ to borrow a sentiment from Alan Greenspan] they want to blame Thailand or their parents for not fulfilling their childish dreams.

If you plan to come to Thailand to stay, don't fill your mind with "visions of sugarplums dancing in your head." Life here can be great, but of course there will be some frustrations and disappointments, just like most of us have experienced throughout our lives, along with the pleasures and enjoyment.

I'm still enjoying life in Thailand after over 15 years of part-time and full-time residence here. Don't go looking for reasons to be unhappy or focus on the minor inconveniences or delude yourself into thinking life back in farangland was so great. The problem isn't Thailand but more to do with your personal issues and outlook.

This is the land of balance. There are equal amounts of both elation and despair here. The good news is that should result in a neutral experience if you are going about this right. If you are able to divorce yourself from the emotional content that surrounded your original intentions and experiences in LOS (either good or bad, and I recognize the extremes as well as anyone), you can begin to grasp some the objective aspects of what is and has distinctly been, Thai reality.

Aspects that underlie all, and few of us ever put forth the energy to understand, that however, tend to be positive in overall nature, just not warm and fuzzy. So to be able to perceive this viscerally, might take time. And developing an appreciation for it may take even longer. Perhaps up to half the time (and in some cases longer) that it took to build up whatever misconception generated disappointments we might be facing, It is not that you are necessarily miserable, so much as perceiving accurately, albeit at the subconscious level, that you are surrounded by an astounding panorama of misery here.

To find our way back to a place where we can begin to see the beauty within the morass, takes a hell of a lot of character. And if you didn't have it before-and you can resist the allure of the bottle- you will most likely acquire it now. This place, changes you. If it doesn't, regardless of duration of stay, or circumstances surrounding your arrival here, in at least some sense, you never got off the plane. Best of holidays, everyone.

Edited by Songlaw

Been here 20 years. The 2nd country my wife and I have emigrated to ( co-incidentally, Canada was the first). Tough at first to adjust and since then, have been realizing that the adjusting never ends, anywhere in the world. One makes mistakes and hopefully learns from them. The toughest, I think is to learn to reduce one's expectations, for any given circumstances. The most depressing posts on TV come from members who are unhappy. If you suffer from depression, then such posts are understandable and have my sympathy, as I've lived with it. I believe that one needs also to avoid, to a certain extent, what is presented as news, although we do read the Bangkok Post's coverage of Thai politics - in particular some of the fine columnists there. The media is known for the dictum " if it bleeds, it leads" . That's why Nat. Geographic is such a pleasure to read.

I guess what I'm saying is, despite the problems we encounter, we count our blessings and refuse to let negativity creep in. It's a silly expression, but I often say ' we could be in Bagdad, or Syria of wherever people are really hurting'. Here, at least, one can be generous to disadvantaged Thais and get so much back in return. Hope your health issues improve.

We all must try to live our lives like the Lotus Flower.

Surrounded by water the flower itself does not get wet. Let everything go by, try not to let it effect you.

I know that it is easier said than done. "Om mani padme om" Hail to the jewel in the eye of the Lotus.

I am a Canadian born and bred white man, but I have spent most of my life outside Canada, myself and the government have never gotten along well. After many years in foreign countries,I decided on Thailand for the rest of my years.

Edited by Colabamumbai

Some people bring their misery with them and then blame Thailand.

Too many people have unrealistic expectations for what Thailand will offer them, compared to the experiences they've had most of their lives back in farangland, just as children develop unrealistic expectations about all the presents they'll receive at Christmas. Once they've settled into life here, or opened all their presents, they may feel let down, but rather than accept that the problem was caused by their "irrational exuberance," [ to borrow a sentiment from Alan Greenspan] they want to blame Thailand or their parents for not fulfilling their childish dreams.

If you plan to come to Thailand to stay, don't fill your mind with "visions of sugarplums dancing in your head." Life here can be great, but of course there will be some frustrations and disappointments, just like most of us have experienced throughout our lives, along with the pleasures and enjoyment.

I'm still enjoying life in Thailand after over 15 years of part-time and full-time residence here. Don't go looking for reasons to be unhappy or focus on the minor inconveniences or delude yourself into thinking life back in farangland was so great. The problem isn't Thailand but more to do with your personal issues and outlook.

Nominated.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/879464-the-all-new-post-of-the-week-thread/page-2#entry10235616

You are totally correct, nothing much have changed here that affect us Farangs in the last 10 years, I personally like what the military goverment have done in BKK and Patraya when it comes to cleaning up the side walks from all vendors. The new rules at the beach are after experienced it for a while fine, it's more space to walk around and the narrowing between the chair rows keep the vendors walking outside on the beach so you don't get atracked every minute. I also find Wednesday closing to be to my benefit. So things have not as you say changed that much, if you have your visa, your copy of passport and visa on you if you get stopped. have a good attitude, treat the Thai people the way you like to be treated and smile you will have a great time here.

I gave up interest in all politics the day I realized that as soon as a politician is elected his main concern is serving himself and getting voted back in at the next election. I once heard a man say ..."When you hear elected politicians talking like they are the opposition....you know election time is near....how true that is.

Been here 2 years. Love it and have not met one unfriendly Thai. My rule to make it here is to be flexible, patient, calm, and not too assertive. Local politics don't affect me and my Thai wife and friends don't seem to get excited about politics. Bureaucracy can be frustrating but with my wife to run interference it is a minor annoyance. I say mellow out brother. You can't change it so relax and enjoy the many good aspects of this culture.

Same as Israeli people? You mean the chosen ones ? The ones that block off and surround the McDonald's in Chewang on Koh Samui so no one is able to easily enter or leave and toss garbage everywhere just inches away from the garbage can. Since they are unable to make a land grab here i guess an American icon is all they can really try for. As long as i sit in a Thai restaurant i am safe from the Israeli troops taking over and scaring off all the locals with their behavior. OP be grateful that you never have to deal with that.

I live and work here for 6 years. I like this country . I had some bad incidents with people looking down on me because I am not Thai and never I will be. Most Thais are taught at school since the beginning that they are better than other people.the same as Israeli people. But I over come this issue by showing them that I am just human like them and at the end it becomes better.

"My country's government has really got their act together" said no one ever. Okay, maybe a few Scandinavians but almost all countries in the world, have negative parts. As citizens of our respective countries, it's our job to vote when possible and other than that, keep our heads down and manage our lives. Following Thai news constantly is a sure recipe for frustration. Ignorance is bliss. I do check the news every few days or so but tend not to get wrapped up in it. And I'm happy!

...nothing wrong with keeping informed...

...nobody came here to solve the problems or change Thailand...

.....we all have different likes/dislikes...values...concerns...

....but...for example....isn't it normal....here or in Canada,,,,,,to 'react' to flagrant injustice or corruption ....

...if you have not faced a major problem or situation or incident.....good for you.....

...who is to judge or comment on 'all others'....

...aside from that....who brought up the government.....or gratuitous 'bashing'.....

..you are doing well....wish everyone else well....and leave it at that.......

You need to be reminded of that old saying:

Ignorance is Bliss.

Here in Thailand, relevant to many aspects of living here, the less you pay attention to what is going on around you the more you will enjoy your stay here whether it be short term or long term.

Remember....You can always up and move away and disconnect yourself from being subjected to Thailand and all that is entailed on a daily basis and relieve your mind, body and soul of any anxieties that you suffer while living here in Thailand.

You have to find your comfort zone or you will eventually turn into a "Curmudgeon" and then other people around you will be negatively affected by one more Curmudgeon amongst us.

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Curmudgeon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbU4Cb4A4-o

Cheers

Edited by gemguy