Xmas surprise: able to sign-up for NetFlix without a paid-for VPN

orang37

Note: I trust the mods will move this to whatever other forum they feel is appropriate; if they are so ... moved. I am on a forum-restricted diet smile.png

I am using Windows 8.1, Chrome browser, and using the Hola (free) browser extension https://hola.org/ (set, of course, to browse "from" the U.S.).

I am surprised that an in-country credit-card (Bangkok Bank) was accepted for the one-month "free trial." I had always assumed that Hola could not deliver the full facilities of a VPN, and that NetFlix would not allow out-of-country credit-card payments.

cheers, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Hola, one of the most popular online services for viewing blocked videos and TV showsfrom other countries, has turned its users into a botnet without their knowledge. The software, which is available as plugin for the Chrome browser on desktop and mobile devices, had previously been praised for offering an easy-to-use and free service. However, it seems the company has been discreetly selling users' "idle resources" (i.e. their bandwidth) via a separate Luminati brand, allowing anyone to buy traffic in bulk and redirect it to a target site as a denial-of-service attack. Essentially, Hola's users have been unwitting mercenaries in a botnet-for-hire.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/29/8685251/hola-vpn-botnet-selling-users-bandwidth

Edited by Trujillo

Sounds good OP, didn't realize that could do that either

Another local service is Iflix, no need for hola , as based in Thailand

Also only 1,000 thb per year, so super good value

I find it a really good compliment to Netflix, as very little overlap and a lot of good shows not on Netflix

Posted 2015-12-25, 22:25

Note: I trust the mods will move this to whatever other forum they feel is appropriate; if they are so ... moved. I am on a forum-restricted diet smile.png

I am using Windows 8.1, Chrome browser, and using the Hola (free) browser extension https://hola.org/ (set, of course, to browse "from" the U.S.).

I am surprised that an in-country credit-card (Bangkok Bank) was accepted for the one-month "free trial." I had always assumed that Hola could not deliver the full facilities of a VPN, and that NetFlix would not allow out-of-country credit-card payments.

cheers, ~o:37;

NetFlix probably accepted the credit card Primary Account Number (PAN) you entered because it complied with the MOD 10 algorithm for account number verification, but since it is a free trial, the account is never actually charged/verified.

I'm sure they'll send you an email when the IIN/BIN (first 6 digits) of your VISA card come up as Bangkok Bank.

Edited by RichCor

NetFlix probably accepted the credit card Primary Account Number (PAN) you entered because it complied with the MOD 10 algorithm for account number verification, but since it is a free trial, the account is never actually charged/verified.

I'm sure they'll send you an email when the IIN/BIN (first 6 digits) of your VISA card come up as Bangkok Bank.

No. They charged the card today.

~o:37;