A Pestilent Swarm Of Parasites...

bubba

As many have noted here, the space and design of the arrivals exit leaves much to be desired. On two trips now, I have noticed that much of the gridlock is caused by taxi touts hitting people as soon as they leave the roped-off exit area. There were at least six of them when I exited last, laying in wait, annoying every single farang with "taxi sir...you need transportation?". Some arriving passengers stop to talk with them and then the gridlock begins.

Why on earth did the AOT not take the opportunity of the new airport oppening to put an end to these annoying touts? No major capital city airport in Asia allows them, not even at the trashy Manila airport, so why does the sparkling new modern Suvarnabhumi allow it? What a great first impression of Thailand first time vistors must get when they are faced with the mob of transport touts as soon as they exit customs.

It's not just the traffic jam that these pests are causing. Assuming that anyone can go inside and say "taxi sir", I would say that allowing touts to operate is a serious security concern. What if a bad guy goes in and snags a passenger and then takes them to a dark ricefield outside Bang Na and robs them...or worse? What about touts that scam a newbie on an excessive charge (which is probably what happens every time anyway)? What is their recourse?

Why does AOT allow these annoying and potentially dangerous touts to continue?

As many have noted here, the space and design of the arrivals exit leaves much to be desired. On two trips now, I have noticed that much of the gridlock is caused by taxi touts hitting people as soon as they leave the roped-off exit area. There were at least six of them when I exited last, laying in wait, annoying every single farang with "taxi sir...you need transportation?". Some arriving passengers stop to talk with them and then the gridlock begins.

Why on earth did the AOT not take the opportunity of the new airport oppening to put an end to these annoying touts? No major capital city airport in Asia allows them, not even at the trashy Manila airport, so why does the sparkling new modern Suvarnabhumi allow it? What a great first impression of Thailand first time vistors must get when they are faced with the mob of transport touts as soon as they exit customs.

It's not just the traffic jam that these pests are causing. Assuming that anyone can go inside and say "taxi sir", I would say that allowing touts to operate is a serious security concern.

1. What if a bad guy goes in and snags a passenger and then takes them to a dark ricefield outside Bang Na and robs them...or worse? What about touts that scam a newbie on an excessive charge (which is probably what happens every time anyway)? What is their recourse?

2. Why does AOT allow these annoying and potentially dangerous touts to continue?

1. That happens.... :o

2. AOT: I suppose only a MASSIVE protest to AOT and TAT would help.

Why not open a SPECIAL TOPIC for protests about the Taxi touts/scams and present it to these organisations ?

Mods.....????

LaoPo

by taxi touts

these annoying touts

mob of transport touts

What about touts

dangerous touts

English, do they speak English in "Touts", mo***f**r ? ("Pulp Fiction" , the movie ) :-)

Drink some poison

Edited by Oleg_Rus

by taxi touts

these annoying touts

mob of transport touts

What about touts

dangerous touts

English, do they speak English in "Touts", mo***f**r ? ("Pulp Fiction" , the movie ) :-)

Drink some poison

Sorry Oleg...while I am familiar with the Tarantino film, your point was?

i believe the taxi booths were installed at DM after the case of the taxi driver that picked up new arrivals and murdered 7 of them , so why they have made things possibly more dangerous and difficult again with these touts allowed inside is hard to figure .

i believe the taxi booths were installed at DM after the case of the taxi driver that picked up new arrivals and murdered 7 of them , so why they have made things possibly more dangerous and difficult again with these touts allowed inside is hard to figure .

Nostrel - see Ovenman's reply above. I cannot think of other plausible explanation why AOT officials would allow these pests in the arrivals area, apart from monetary motivation.

I suppose the impression that new visitors get upon arriving is: welcome to another third world banana republic, although it does have a shiny new airport! :-)

Probably because the correct airport management pockets are getting lined in the desired manner by the taxi mafia.

Last time I caught a taxi back from Don Muang the driver handed over 20 baht to the guards as we pulled out. I asked him about it, he said he had to pay 20 baht per trip or he could pay 100 baht for a whole night - otherwise he would not be allowed to stop.

I presume the same low practices simply migrated to the new airport.

I agree - the public taxi situation at the new airport is a disgrace. I put the posting below on the Bangkok forum but I guess it may have been more appropriately put as a reply to your threat:

"For years at Don Muang I wondered why there was so frequently a shortage of metered taxis available at the airport (enormous queues, few taxis, etc.) but plenty of 'limosine services' for double the metered price into town.

Now at the new airport whilst I didn't have a problem queuing for the metered taxis and didn't have a problem getting them to put the meter on I did wonder why there were virtually no signs to the taxi area. There were plenty of people allowed to hang around offering 'limosine' serivces but no simple signs to the taxi area (other than a confusing piece of A4 paper celotaped to a stairway). Looking at the maps of the airport there also appears to be an enormous parking area dedicated to limosine taxis and a comparatively much smaller area for metered taxis.

Unless I have misunderstood I also understand that if you want to get a local bus into town you first have to get a shuttle bus from the airport to the local bus stand and then get the bus. Not very helpful if you have plenty of baggage and are new in town.

Is this really just inefficiency or is there some scam/vested interests behind all this trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of new arrivals?"

Lucky

was the OP a genuine request for enlightenment , or just a rant ?

who ever mrs't' sold the rights for the limo franchise would be diversifying their income streams by onselling the rights to various taxi merchants to hawk their wares in the arrivals areas. add to this mix maybe a police/air force official who has control of the arrivals area making some extra money by allowing a few others to operate also.

what else would you expect ?

who ever mrs't' sold the rights for the limo franchise would be diversifying their income streams by onselling the rights to various taxi merchants to hawk their wares in the arrivals areas. add to this mix maybe a police/air force official who has control of the arrivals area making some extra money by allowing a few others to operate also.

OK, I'll admit that it was primarily a rant and the questions somewhat rhetorical. And I have no doubt that the presence of the scavenger transport touts, right under the noses of airport security police, is due to some sort of cash flow. It's just a shame that AOT still allows this at Suvarnabhumi when every other major airport in the region has put a stop to it.

For an airport that was built with the intention of competing with Changi or HK Intl, it is utter rubbish that passengers are left suffering with this.

If the King Power monopoly doesn't give you some heads up as to what type of country you are walking into, the existance of these taxi touts will.

Although I have not yet flown into the new airport yet, at Don Muang there was always an easier way. All the hard core hustlers used to hang out at the international terminal, because the lines were long and people would pay extra to not have to wait.

All I did was take an extra 10 minutes and stroll over to the domestic terminal. Fewer falangs, more Thai, smaller queues. I never had any problems there getting a legit meter taxi in anything more than a few minutes.

If there is a similar set-up at the new airport, then this should probably work there as well.

All I did was take an extra 10 minutes and stroll over to the domestic terminal. Fewer falangs, more Thai, smaller queues. I never had any problems there getting a legit meter taxi in anything more than a few minutes.

It was even easier to take the cross-highway footbridge from that led from International Terminal 1 to Don Muang railway station/Amari Airport hotel and walk down the stairs to Vipavadi-Rangsit Highway. Always a long queue of taxis waiting there, more than happy for a fare, and never a hassle with using the meter. Alas, since Suvarnabhumi Airport does not abut a highway in a manner similar to the old airport, this taxi option no longer exists...

Can't see what you're all complaining about?

Got back 9 days ago around 10pm. We were met by decent people and taken home to Hua Hin for a snip. I dont mean people we knew, just as a lot of you are suggesting.

Agree a price and go with it. There must be enough suggestions here on this board already.

Edited by sua yai

Read again, but to smummarise:

- swarms of shouting, pestering touts directly in the only exit from customs that cause backups in the already congested area.

- the security risk of allowing just anyone (unlincensed, no permit, possibly not even a legal taxi) to directly solicit arriving passengers for transportation. How do you know they are "decent people" until you have pulled off from the kerb and driven off into the night? Since you have accepted a tout's offer, nobody has a record of you or the car or the driver, and you are own your own if something happens.

- the sheer annoyance of being hassled by them every time you arrive. This doesn't happen in other major airports in Asia - only Bangkok and a few other backwater, banana republic airports.

Who needs them anyway ? There are plenty of airport transport booths that are clearly signed and visible when you arrive, and there are also signs to the taxi queue.

Who needs them anyway ? There are plenty of airport transport booths that are clearly signed and visible when you arrive, and there are also signs to the taxi queue.

Well, there's your answer then. Don't sweat the small stuff. This is Thailand. Accept it and find a way around it.

As for it not happening in other airports, havent you been to KL lately?

Read again, but to smummarise:

- swarms of shouting, pestering touts directly in the only exit from customs that cause backups in the already congested area.

- the security risk of allowing just anyone (unlincensed, no permit, possibly not even a legal taxi) to directly solicit arriving passengers for transportation. How do you know they are "decent people" until you have pulled off from the kerb and driven off into the night? Since you have accepted a tout's offer, nobody has a record of you or the car or the driver, and you are own your own if something happens.

- the sheer annoyance of being hassled by them every time you arrive. This doesn't happen in other major airports in Asia - only Bangkok and a few other backwater, banana republic airports.

...nothing to get stressed about...just smile and slouch and saunter on...the limos are expensive: these are the ones normally touting for business...but the cab drivers are OK..I used to take the escalator up to departures at Don Muang and take a cab that had just dropped off..always agreed a fare...I guess there is a departures drop-off at the new airport.... :o

Well, there's your answer then. Don't sweat the small stuff. This is Thailand. Accept it and find a way around it.

As for it not happening in other airports, havent you been to KL lately?

Funny you should mention that, as I was in and out of KL last week. No, there were no annoying taxi touts. There were also no crowds at the exit from customs, but then KL is not nearly as busy as BKK, and the exit area is also of a much better design.

Unfortunately, that was not the case when I arrived back in BKK last Thursday afternoon. In fact, being tugged on and shouted at by perhaps six taxi touts (limos and what appears to be gypsy taxis) following my arrival back in BKK from KUL prompted me to post my original rant.

Actually, I have lived and worked in Thailand for a bit under ten years now, and I understand that "this is Thailand", thanks. I suppose part of the situation is just the annoyance factor coupled with a poor design. But also being sort of a Thai resident now, I get a bit of satisfaction at things like hoping the new BKK airport would be world class and BKK would be presented well with new arrivals from the time they leave immigration.

Yes, you can take a taxi from the departures level of the new airport, as with Don Muang. There is no need to "agree to a far". I have never had a problem with them using the meter.

I just come through there yesterday for the first time, the limo people and taxi touts are really annoying and for me they are easy to deal with. Who I really feel sorry for is all the tourists new to the country that have just come in on a long haul flight, and their first impression of Thailand is getting hassled for money and being made to bargain for taxis, what a shame. :o

Here's modest proposal for helping to clean up the airport touts (which AOT has been promising for months would not be allowed in). Next time you come through:

1. videotape the pulling and pestering,

2. post on YouTube,

3. send the address along to TAT, ThaiVisa, Post, Nation, etc. with a brief note pointing out how repellent tourists find this treatment.

In case this still isn't clear enough, intercutting with essentially identical footage from Patpong/Sukhumvit might help get the point across.

Sigh...