Loxley plant in Bang Pakong ready to make electric vehicles

webfact

Loxley plant in Bang Pakong ready to make electric vehicles
PATCHAREE LUENGUTHAI
THE NATION

30275781-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- LOXLEY, a leading Thai trading conglomerate, has said a joint venture Loxley-BYD assembly plant in Bang Pakong, in Chachoengsao, is ready to produce electric vehicles with zero emissions and energy saving for the Thai market.

Early this year, Loxley in partnership with BYD Auto Industry, a Chinese manufacturer of automobiles and rechargeable batteries imported K9 electric bus and E6 passenger vehicles for sale.

Meanwhile, Loxley collaborated with public and private organisations including the Metropolitan Electricity Authority, the Provincial Electricity Authority, Bangkok Mass Transport Authority, King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi, King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Lat Krabang, and the Thailand Automotive Institute to study and develop infrastructure for electric vehicles, such as charging stations, electric spare parts, and to create awareness on the use of such vehicles for for public transport and passenger cars.

Thongchai Lamsam, president of Loxley revealed that after a feasibility study, the company has formed a joint venture with BYD Auto Industry to establish its assembly plant for electric vehicles. The first electric bus was introduced last Friday.

Similar to the imported model, it is a low-floor K9 electric bus with a length of 12 metres. Its body is made of aluminium alloy, so it has lower weight and is rust free. Its driving system is an 180 kw AC electric motor, yielding about 250 horsepower. It is equipped with an air suspension system, and the battery used is Lithium Fe, with a capacity of 324 kw per hour and a charging time of approximately 5 hours. It should yield a driving range of over 250 km per single charge. Therefore, average use of electricity is approximately 1.2 kwh/km, or about Bt4 per kilometre, with a top speed of 70 kmh.

Battery charging from 0-50 per cent requires 39 minutes, or 5 hours to charge from 0-100 per cent. The useful life of a battery is 6,000 times of charging.

Thongchai said that its fuel tank capacity of 120 litres with zero emissions would help reduce CO2 emissions by up to 100 tonnes a year. Another key feature is electric vehicles have 50 per cent lower fuel consumption than NGV and three times less than diesel engine vehicles. The low-floor electric bus is also convenient for people with disabilities, offering a maximum capacity of 29 seats and space for one wheelchair.

"With the global warming concern, Loxley has placed an importance on alternative energy through the continued development of solar power, wind power, waste to energy and electric vehicles," Thongchai said.

For electric buses, Loxley will approach target customers including state enterprises, schools and universities, while customers for electric cars will include government agencies, state enterprise, rental car companies, metered taxis and hotels.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Loxley-plant-in-Bang-Pakong-ready-to-make-electric-30275781.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-28

China has been producing electric vehicles for quite a few years to export capacity.Never heard of problems apart from resistance by conventional producers.

If the elecrical components are made robust enough then an all electric system has less components to be a source of problems.

And as a vanguard product rather than a "cheaply made to contract specs" then why not?

Y-tube shows some satisfactory and competative performance. Styling as well..

Would like to trial one for a year or two.tongue.png Saloon, not bus!biggrin.png

BYD already makes this bus that has been manufactured, demonstrated and sold for years in several major countries such as the USA and UK.

The bus has proven itself reliable and meets claimed BYD specifications.

BMA was originally going to purchase electric buses from Thai bus makers at 10 million baht per vehicle versus buying from foreign sellers (BYD?) who wanted 15 million baht per vehicle. In fact a prototype electric bus developed by King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang and the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority was being used on ra route between the university's campus and Airport Link Lat Krabang.

Apparently BMA decided to use the BYD electric bus technology. And rather than buy the bus outright, perhaps a Thai-BYD joint venture was decided as a compromise to a lower price and as a means for technology transfer.

Top is University-BMA prototype

Bottom is BYD Bus

post-233034-0-23888800-1451317063_thumb.

post-233034-0-17446000-1451317088_thumb.

Edited by Srikcir

I see many hybrid Camry's and Priuses driving around here and yes they are very silent when driving electric. But they also need to have an engine just like those buses will need.

A bus which brakes down in BKK will block the lane it's driving in and has to be towed away by a huge truck. BKK-traffic can't have that, it's far too busy for that.

A total electric bus also needs aircon which costs a lot of power. I don't see it happening and if they buy/build one i don't see it run for 10-40 years without problems.

They also have to be charged which costs a lot of time and they need space for that which is hard to find in BKK.

The best choice would be Volvo or Japanese buses on CNG.

I spoke to a chinese last week and he told me ALL chinese cars are crap. He was happy to see all Japanese brands here.

He was a lucky spoiled fellow from 23 years old, the chinese company gave their 3 salesmen each a driver plus car 24 hrs while being positioned here.

I see many hybrid Camry's and Priuses driving around here and yes they are very silent when driving electric. But they also need to have an engine just like those buses will need.

A bus which brakes down in BKK will block the lane it's driving in and has to be towed away by a huge truck. BKK-traffic can't have that, it's far too busy for that.

A total electric bus also needs aircon which costs a lot of power. I don't see it happening and if they buy/build one i don't see it run for 10-40 years without problems.

They also have to be charged which costs a lot of time and they need space for that which is hard to find in BKK.

I spoke to a chinese last week and he told me ALL chinese cars are crap. He was happy to see all Japanese brands here.

He was a lucky spoiled fellow from 23 years old, the chinese company gave their 3 salesmen each a driver plus car 24 hrs while being positioned here.

He did realise that the brand was not the source?

OK the source is from many countries includin China Korea, germany and france to name a few. Aircon and charging can be taken care of by flexible solar panels on the roof of the buses. Very expensive outlay but less polution in the long run.......I might add that Bangkok has deferred the full intorduction of these buses due to cost. Also remember the buses that are here (most) in BBK are aircond by open windows....5555

He named the Chinese brand they drive in China but i had never heard of it. But for cars Toyota is the best of the world so i guess it's the same for buses.

Volvo cars ain't bad but have computerproblems, same as Benz and BMW.

Look at the bts skytrain, more then 10 years old now and still looks like new and works perfect. Made in Germany (Siemens).

The issue of the cost component energy for aircon is very important. A development of more efficient intergrated aircon systems which utilize existing energy rather than adding to energy requirements is not yet apparent in vehicles. Not surprising when considering the monopolistic criteria of fuel producers who enjoy expanding profit related consumption despite the global concerns of pollultion.

The result is that the average vehicle from 40 years previous was no less fuel efficient than are now. The only difference is the peformance factor acceleration and top speed wise.Which could argueably be descriped as a negative outcome in a world where traffic congestion and enforcement of speed limits make that irrelavent.

The efficiency of a petrochem energy engine is limited to the 40+% range rating of potential energy input.

Electric motors can achieve 90% efficiency in some applications.

Hybrid vehicles are an ideological solution rather than an improvement.

Despite that we are informed about prospective rather than actual adoption of electric vehicles with the excuse about "distance range" etc.

Batteries are indeed an issue. High efficiency recharge batteries are pollutive in manufacture and pollutive in terms of waste at life end.

That problem allready exists via the mobile phone/ laptop/etc proliferation.

But little information exists making a comparative of electric vehicle production pollution versus solid petrochem vehicle pollution vehicles.

Typically producers dwell more on (profit) performance than anything else.

The issue of the cost component energy for aircon is very important. A development of more efficient intergrated aircon systems which utilize existing energy rather than adding to energy requirements is not yet apparent in vehicles. Not surprising when considering the monopolistic criteria of fuel producers who enjoy expanding profit related consumption despite the global concerns of pollultion.

The result is that the average vehicle from 40 years previous was no less fuel efficient than are now. The only difference is the peformance factor acceleration and top speed wise.Which could argueably be descriped as a negative outcome in a world where traffic congestion and enforcement of speed limits make that irrelavent.

The efficiency of a petrochem energy engine is limited to the 40+% range rating of potential energy input.

Despite that we are informed about prospective rather than actual adoption of electric vehicles with the excuse about "distance range" etc.

Batteries are indeed an issue. High efficiency recharge batteries are pollutive in manufacture and pollutive in terms of waste at life end.

But little information exists making a comparative of electric vehicle production pollution versus solid petrochem vehicle pollution vehicles.

Hey you are really a learned guy in this field. Let me answer some of your points:

Aircon of the buses can be achieved by solar and storage batteries. in fact there are flexioble and paint on versions of solar panels an also the teslar power wall batteries

average speed in bangkok where the busses are to be introduced is 16 Klms per hour

Yes we are there at the moment but we have more efficient solar panels and batterries here. look at the teslar power wall.

New development in higher efficiencies in batteries are coming to market but of course everything is proft driven.

Hey you are really a learned guy in this field. Let me answer some of your points:

Aircon of the buses can be achieved by solar and storage batteries. in fact there are flexioble and paint on versions of solar panels an also the teslar power wall batteries

average speed in bangkok where the busses are to be introduced is 16 Klms per hour

Yes we are there at the moment but we have more efficient solar panels and batterries here. look at the teslar power wall.

New development in higher efficiencies in batteries are coming to market but of course everything is proft driven.

I understand.

My concern is that in avoiding the current identified problems with petrochem versus electric energy is that there is a transfer of pollution problems that will re visit.

Capturing solar energy is a simple ideal but with it comes already serious potential for pollution issuesin extracting the whole earth components.

I understand.

My concern is that in avoiding the current identified problems with petrochem versus electric energy is that there is a transfer of pollution problems that will re visit.

Capturing solar energy is a simple ideal but with it comes already serious potential for pollution issues in extracting the whole earth components.

When the first mass produced cars came (30-40 years ago) they drove 10 km on a litre.

Now a same sized car can easy drive 20km on a litre.

Same goes for new motorbikes. New scooters are faster then all old models and drive very easy 40-60 km a litre.

Solar panels give maximum 200 watt a square metre (if you're lucky and have the best ones).

A busroof is maximum 20x2=40 square metre so that makes 40x200=8000 Watt. 4 big drillingmachines allready use that, they sure can't power a full bus and very sure not a bus with aircon and electric doors and lights.

Solar power paint is new but sure doesn't give more power then the best solar panels.

Then there are also cloudy days of course.

So forget about solar powered buses. Even electric buses on battery's is not an option. The battery's would be too heavy anyway and in BKK the buses have to stop/pull up all the time which costs much extra energy.

What would work is a solar panel roof above the skytraintrack, then the skytrain can probably run on solar power.

And buses in BKK also drive to the suburbs where the speed is a lot higher then in the city. We sure don't need slow buses who cause congestion.

If anybody can build electric buses who will be efficient in a city like BKK then it will be the Japanese. The Chinese can only copy other people's inventions. They can't design anything themselves. The Thai can't even copy properly.

So stop with this nonsense and just buy Japanese or German buses on CNG.

When the first mass produced cars came (30-40 years ago) they drove 10 km on a litre.

Now a same sized car can easy drive 20km on a litre.

Same goes for new motorbikes. New scooters are faster then all old models and drive very easy 40-60 km a litre.

Solar panels give maximum 200 watt a square metre (if you're lucky and have the best ones).

A busroof is maximum 20x2=40 square metre so that makes 40x200=8000 Watt. 4 big drillingmachines allready use that, they sure can't power a full bus and very sure not a bus with aircon and electric doors and lights.

Solar power paint is new but sure doesn't give more power then the best solar panels.

Then there are also cloudy days of course.

So forget about solar powered buses. Even electric buses on battery's is not an option. The battery's would be too heavy anyway and in BKK the buses have to stop/pull up all the time which costs much extra energy.

What would work is a solar panel roof above the skytraintrack, then the skytrain can probably run on solar power.

And buses in BKK also drive to the suburbs where the speed is a lot higher then in the city. We sure don't need slow buses who cause congestion.

If anybody can build electric buses who will be efficient in a city like BKK then it will be the Japanese. The Chinese can only copy other people's inventions. They can't design anything themselves. The Thai can't even copy properly.

So stop with this nonsense and just buy Japanese or German buses on CNG.

I suggest you research a lot more thoroughly the statistists you quote. And the application of energy sources in real terms.

No i don't research but i 'm a senior engineer who has a lot of experience in building vehicles and electric equipment.

The Thai are totally wasting time, energy and money by thinking they can build those buses. If they can build one which runs a year in BKK without problems i will wash it for free every day whistling.gif