Are playing dice illegal to own in Thailand?

CALSinCM

I thought of buying a board game, but I'm not paying $1000 for a game just to get a set of dice that will cost a couple of bucks in the US. I'm considering asking a friend to bring a set from the US, but I don't want him to encounter difficulties if he is stopped at Customs. That's why I'm asking about the legality.

Edited by connda

Neither dice nor playing cards are illegal as long as it is not used for gambling.

Countless Pattaya (roadside) shops offering the popular "shut the box" dice game.

Hardly a beer bar without.

Shut_the_box.gif

Local brand of playing cards, 290 Baht:

P011.jpg

Bad quality as with playing cards.

Thais in Germany always insisted to get good quality plastic cards from Thailand instead of the "local crap" biggrin.png

A popular souvenir from Thailand holidays.

As far as I know there is a specific tax on playing cards?

Edited by KhunBENQ

Locally you might have problems to find the round-edge dices as they are usual in most "western" games.

Instead you will often see sharp-edged dice.

(I don't want to go into detail further)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Neither dice nor playing cards are illegal as long as it is not used for gambling.

Thais in Germany always insisted to get good quality plastic cards from Thailand instead of the "local crap" biggrin.png

Interesting link about card factory in Thailand:

http://www.wopc.co.uk/thailand/playing-cards-factory

I've seen Yahtze and backgammon played openly in Thailand with interested police watching and offering advice. .. it seems to be more acceptable than playing cards.

Closest decent dice - Singapore but it's been a while since I needed to buy any. Maybe Poi Pet?

Check out my Camel Toe set made for Pattaya

post-49833-14513520459633_thumb.jpg

I thought of buying a board game, but I'm not paying $1000 for a game just to get a set of dice that will cost a couple of bucks in the US. I'm considering asking a friend to bring a set from the US, but I don't want him to encounter difficulties if he is stopped at Customs. That's why I'm asking about the legality.

"I'm considering asking a friend to bring a set from the US, but I don't want him to encounter difficulties if he is stopped at Customs"

You should know by now you can bring a body through customs, as long as you don't declare it.

I've seen dice for sale in Robinsons. I think their legal unless you use them to gamble.

$1000 for a board game? That's steep. Monopoly with gold pieces?

Walk along Paholyothin in Saphan Kwai (in Bangkok), opposite side from Paolo Hospital, near the BTS stairway, and you will find a shop selling dice of every description. I bought some, just as conversation pieces, no issues,cash and carry... Mostly, I remember rounded-edge ones, but good for a look, if you're in the area...

Countless Pattaya (roadside) shops offering the popular "shut the box" dice game.

Shut_the_box.gif

P011.jpg

Hey Ben that "Shut the box" game looks interesting-------How do you play that?

I was at my usual haunt yesterday (Ban Chang Beach) when I'm looking for a bit of peace and solitude and when I arrived back to my motorbike I saw a dice on the ground, a little on the large side, never seen one like it before. Anyway, I picked it up to maybe give to someone who might have a use for it...not much good on it's own I know but your welcome to it.

Shut_the_box.gif

P011.jpg

Hey Ben that "Shut the box" game looks interesting-------How do you play that?

If only the internet had some means to find the information!!
Let me help you with that. Try this link:

Funny enough there are different rules to play this simple game.

The version I know:

Two players, you might use dices to determine who starts.

Roll the dices.

You can now shut/flip one of the numbers:

either a number that matches one of the dices or a number that matches the sum of the dices.

If nothing matches the other player continues.

The player who shuts/flips the last number is the winner.

(concealed hint; 9 - 8 - 7 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 -6)

Edited by KhunBENQ

Funny enough there are different rules to play this simple game.

The version I know:

Two players, you might use dices to determine who starts.

Roll the dices.

You can now shut/flip one of the numbers:

either a number that matches one of the dices or a number that matches the sum of the dices.

If nothing matches the other player continues.

The player who shuts/flips the last number is the winner.

(concealed hint; 9 - 8 - 7 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 -6)

The version of the game taught me always ended up in me buying a girl a drink, regardless of me winning or not. Still haven't figured out why. blink.png

the thai government has trained you well, Paranoid and obedient.

What game in Thailand could possibly be 35000THB which has dice to begin with? Edited by ldiablo

What game in Thailand could possibly be 35000B which has dice to begin with?

He probably meant THB and not US$ ...