Which tyre to choose for Nissan Navarra

Sophon

It's about time for a new set of tyres for my Nissan Navarra, but I am completely in the dark as to which tyre to choose. I read the topic about the Thunderer tyres and was tempted to go with this brand, but it looks like it's not available in the size I need. According to the B-Quick website they have the following choices in 255/70R16:

• Roadstone Roadian HTX RH5 Baht 4,590
  • Yokohama Geolandar H/T G056 Baht 4,990
  • Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 Baht 5,490

As an alternative, my local tyre shop here in the village has Maxxis and Apollo (never heard of that brand) at approximately Baht 3,500. However, I sneaked a peak at some of his stock and some of the tyres I saw seemed to be quite old (as in 3-5 years). Granted, what I could see was mostly the more expensive brands such as Michelin, and I expect there to be less demand for such tyres here in the village.

We mostly do highway cruising at 80-90 km/h and won't be doing more than 10,000 km/year so I don't need a high performance tyre, just a good al round tyre with reasonable durability. I am thinking of going for the Roadstone tyre, but is there a good reason to go for one of the higher priced alternatives (considering my driving pattern)? Or should I go in the opposite direction and opt for Maxxis or Apollo?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Sophon

I bought a set of Deestone for mine. Cheap, wear good, made in Thailand. For your style of driving they should be fine. I find that after about 3 years they need to be replaced anyway - hot weather makes the rubber hard, and bulges start to appear. I also do not travel at an excessive speed. If I did - top quality tires are the way to go.

We have contacted the nearest B-Quick shops in Lamphun and Chiang Mai, and they don't have our tyre in stock. They say that they have the 245/70R16 in stock, but are they interchangeable with the 255/70R16? As I understand it, the "255" is the width of the tyre (at the widest point?) so only a one cm difference, but sometimes even small changes can have big effects.

Sophon

Edit: They also have the 265 tyre in stock and both the 245 and the 265 are cheaper than the 255 (which they don't have in stock). The 245 is 400 Baht cheaper than the 265. Assuming that the tyres are interchangeable, should we go up or down in size. If it doesn't matter, then we might as well go with the cheapest option.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

We have contacted the nearest B-Quick shops in Lamphun and Chiang Mai, and they don't have our tyre in stock. They say that they have the 245/70R16 in stock, but are they interchangeable with the 255/70R16? As I understand it, the "255" is the width of the tyre (at the widest point?) so only a one cm difference, but sometimes even small changes can have big effects.

Sophon

If me I would fit the 265/70x16 if you have 8 inch rims.....smile.png

Sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying.

Sophon

Sophon

Sophon

You can fit one size larger, since the size Navara uses is not very common on other trucks, I do the same with my Navara.

I think to recall that the odd size from Navara also cost more.

Sophon

Sophon

8 inch rim width, Vigo has 265's on 8 inch wide rims from factory..

OK, thanks. Never thought about the rim size, but according to wheel-size.com my 2007 Navarra came with 7Jx16 ET30 rims. As I understand it, that means they are 7" rims. Also according to the same website, the smallest tyre size is the stock 255/70R16.

So does that mean that I can replace it with 265/70R16? That was the tyre B-Quick recommended, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the correct thing to do.

Sophon

If http://www.1010tires.com is to be trusted, 7" rims are within the range (but at the limit) for the 265/70R16 tyre:

post-5469-0-47366700-1451364971_thumb.jp

The 245/70R16 would fall better within rim range, but must have a smaller load capacity (I guess). What to do, what to do?

I just checked the specifications for the Roadian HTX RH5 tyres, and they say much the same as above:

245/70R16

Approved rim sizes: 6.5"-8.0"

Load capacity: 2,149 lbs

Max PSI: 51 (that is sure to be challenged at some point here in Thailand)

255/70R16

Approved rim sizes: 6.5"-8.5"

Load capacity: 2,403 lbs

Max PSI: 51

265/70R16

Approved rim sizes: 7.0"-9.0"

Load capacity: 2,446 lbs

Max PSI: 51

So it seems to me (correct me if I'm wrong) that I can use both the 245 and the 265 as an alternative to the 255. The 245 will probably fit my rims better though, and the smaller load capacity should not be a problem as we don't carry maximum loads.

Any thoughts?

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

Im getting a good run out of Thunderer tires, from Cockpit

They don't seem to produce tyres in 255/70R16, but yes, if I decide to go away from the stock tyre size, then Thunderer is also an option.

Sophon

Check out the the total diameter too. If is is very much different from the stock wheel it can make the speedo inaccurate. I've read before that up to a 3% difference is acceptable.

I would have thought 265 is quite wide for a 7" wheel. I will soon be putting on 7" wheels with my 205 tires on my car. I think 265 is a better match with 8" wheels.

As a rule of thumb, you want to keep the rolling diameter about close to stock. e,g. 195/55 change to 205/45. So as the width increases the relative height of the sidewall decreases.

The 70 in your tire size represents the ratio of the sidewall to the width. so the sidewall height is equal to 0.7 x 255 = 178.5 mm.

Think I would fit the 265's as they are 70 profile.

Sorry, again I don't understand (remember you are speaking to a noob). What do you mean by saying they are 70 profile, and why is that important?

Sophon

265/70R18 - 265 is tire width in mm. 70 is the aspect ratio - the percentage of a tires sidewall height to its tread width, in this case 70% i or 185.5mm R means radial and 18 is the rim size. You may also see additional letters after these, relating to speed rating, if all season, winter,etc

Edited by canthai55

Think I would fit the 265's as they are 70 profile.

Sorry, again I don't understand (remember you are speaking to a noob). What do you mean by saying they are 70 profile, and why is that important?

Sophon

265/70R18 - 265 is tire width in mm. 70 is the aspect ratio - the percentage of a tires sidewall height to its tread width, in this case 70% i or 185.5mm R means radial and 18 is the rim size. You may also see additional letters after these, relating to speed rating, if all season, winter,etc

Yes, I know all but I still don't know what transam meant by his comment. If he is referring to the aspect ratio when he says "70 profile", then all three tyres I have included in my post have that aspect ratio.

Sophon

Im getting a good run out of Thunderer tires, from Cockpit

They don't seem to produce tyres in 255/70R16, but yes, if I decide to go away from the stock tyre size, then Thunderer is also an option.

Sophon

Check out the the total diameter too. If is is very much different from the stock wheel it can make the speedo inaccurate. I've read before that up to a 3% difference is acceptable.

I would have thought 265 is quite wide for a 7" wheel. I will soon be putting on 7" wheels with my 205 tires on my car. I think 265 is a better match with 8" wheels.

As a rule of thumb, you want to keep the rolling diameter about close to stock. e,g. 195/55 change to 205/45. So as the width increases the relative height of the sidewall decreases.

The 70 in your tire size represents the ratio of the sidewall to the width. so the sidewall height is equal to 0.7 x 255 = 178.5 mm.

The speedometer inaccuracy by changing to the other two tyre sizes are included in the information in post 17 (it will be showing approximately 1.8% too slow or too fast depending on which way I go). I don't have the option of compensating with different aspect ratio if going to 245 or 265, those sizes are only stocked with an aspect ratio of 70 (at least where I will be shopping). There is no 245/75R16 or 265/65R16 tyres available.

I will not be changing my rims, so I have to select a tyre that fit the rims. I also think that maybe the 265 is too big even though it's within the approved range, so maybe the 245 is a better choice. Is there any disadvantage to the 245 compared to the 255 other than the lower maximum load limit?

Sophon

Advantages and disadvantages would be:

The 245/70 will be 0.5" smaller diameter and will affect the gearing by giving you more acceleration and less top speed.

The 265/70 will be 0.5" larger in diameter and will affect the gearing by giving you less acceleration and more top speed.

Advantages and disadvantages would be:

The 245/70 will be 0.5" smaller diameter and will affect the gearing by giving you more acceleration and less top speed.

The 265/70 will be 0.5" larger in diameter and will affect the gearing by giving you less acceleration and more top speed.

My (self imposed) top speed is around 100 km/h, and I don't gun it at the stop lights so I doubt that I will feel the difference. If anything the better acceleration with the 245 will be a bonus, and the top speed is irrelevant (to me).

Sophon

At the moment I'm leaning towards the 245/70R16. When having maximum steering lock at a u-turn (and with the turning radius of the Navara that is often necessary) I sometimes hear a squealing sound, that I guess comes from the tyre rubbing against the fenders. So maybe fitting a larger tyre will not be a good idea.

However, I haven't quite made a decision yet so keep your opinions coming. thanks to all for your input so far.

Sophon

At the moment I'm leaning towards the 245/70R16. When having maximum steering lock at a u-turn (and with the turning radius of the Navara that is often necessary) I sometimes hear a squealing sound, that I guess comes from the tyre rubbing against the fenders. So maybe fitting a larger tyre will not be a good idea.

However, I haven't quite made a decision yet so keep your opinions coming. thanks to all for your input so far.

Sophon

I doubt if the tyres ae rubbing, it is more likely to be the power steering pump or belt that is squealing.

I had 265 /75/16 on standard Navara rims - no body contact on full lock. However the 4WD vehicle was raised about 1 or 2 inches.

OK, so that's not a factor (mine is a 4x4 by the way).

Sophon

265 ATs will increase the ground clearance slightly and give it better grip on poor surfaces.

(they also look better!)

Unless you really drive it hard, you won't notice the change in performance characteristics. Steering might feel a bit heavier.

Edited by cumgranosalum

You may also get slightly better fuel economy with the 245...but not enough to base the decision on that. And may not even notice it on a truck. I like slightly wider tires for the extra grip and will forego any improvement in fuel economy.

Tyres Plus for me! No BS there like the big Yellow shop were I went once and they started pulling wheels/brake drums off despite the fact I just wanted an oil/filter change! And then they stuffed up the oil change! The PU was backed out of the workshop and parked in front of the office with oil pizzing out from underneath. By the time they went and got a engine pressure wash there wasn't anything quick about it!

You say you only go 80-90 on the highway.....that's plenty fast enough to get into trouble.

Buy Bridgestone or Michelin tyres and not worry about the rubber your life depends on. thumbsup.gif

I put a full set of Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 on my Nissan. I don't remember the size but they were one size larger than the original Bridgestones. That one size made the odometer and speedometer read exactly the same as my GPS. They were a quiet tire with very little road noise. I have sold the truck to a friend of mine and the tires are still on and still look good. They were not the most expensive nor were they the cheapest. I was satisfied with them.