Part Time Teaching?

migrant

Greetings all,

My Thai fiance, and I, are planning to retire to Thailand in a few years. She has land in the Cha Am area, but we are not sure if that is where we will end up.

I believe that when we retire, I will not have to work, but I enjoy work, as does my fiancee.

One of my thoughts, that I would like to get comments on, is part time teaching.

I am a certified public accountant, and have taught a couple years (while having a active practice) at the university level a few years ago. I have also taught, and private tutored, at various times in my life, and really enjoy it. Not loads of experience, but enough to know that it is a area of work I like.

Since I am in retirement, I probably do not want to work full time (again, I believe the money will be sufficient, and, if we choose to, visiting the US during tax season, I can make a pretty good amount working part time).

So I am wondering about part time teaching opportunities to keep busy, and add some income.

Since accounting, and business, is what I do, that would be my first thought. I also have no problem with getting a TEFL certificate and teaching english though. If it makes a difference, I'll be early 50's and I do clean up nice :o .

Again, we are not sure if we want to live where her land is, so part time teaching will also allow us to travel around to some of the areas we have not spent a lot of time in too see if we like that area better.

Just wondering thoughts from you folks.

Thanks!!

Make sure you are prepared for the classroom by taking a TEFL. You'll be much more confident and knowledgeable in front of students.

As you know, appearances are important. Language schools often want more mature teachers as their students are often more mature. Few Thai professionals feel comfortable studying with a mid-20 kid whose trousers are too short and he wears his tie like the scarlet pimpernel's neck scarf.

You'll do OK.

Ijustwannateach said:

"Technically, it will be illegal. ..."

That's a big assumption to make from what the op says. I agree, in most cases that would probably be the case, but, WP's ARE available for part-timers if the employer is willing to get them. At least that's the case here in Khon Kaen.

Ijustwannateach said:

"Technically, it will be illegal. ..."

That's a big assumption to make from what the op says. I agree, in most cases that would probably be the case, but, WP's ARE available for part-timers if the employer is willing to get them. At least that's the case here in Khon Kaen.

Anything's possible, so IJWT might more carefully have said, "It will probably be illegal, because you probably won't get a work permit." What visa will the OP have - retiremement? Sunbelt Asia says it's possible to get a WP on that visa, but they're as rare as hen's teeth. The OP mentioned Hua Hin - the agency that hires most teachers there doesn't have many part time jobs, and doesn't have many WP's to spare.

Maybe the OP can teach accounting at an English program at an international university like Webster in Hua Hin, or at Payap in Chiang Mai. Maybe there's a first-class uni, 75 km outside of Khon Kaen, willing to pay him 900 baht per hour to teach in their English MBA program.

Now, where's the emoticon for tongue in cheek? :o

Thanks for the answers, as I said it is a thought.

Not looking for, or expecting, 900 baht per hour, would be happy with the hourly rate I hear teachers around LOS get, based upon 30K-40K for full time (I also understand there are lower paid)

The WP, from what I read, and talked to people about, seems like the problem. As mentioned I will probably go for the retirement visa.

Plan B would be to keep us busy with alternatives, including charity work.

I come from innercity Detroit, the last of the European immigrant stock there, and did a lot of charity teaching of english to others not so lucky in the city, and that is where I first found I liked teaching.

Again, maybe it is afoul of the WP process.

The OP implies very on-and-off part time work, roaming around the place- it sounds very spotty, and WP's are not spotty things (they're also location-specific, so that if you're not working in the *precise* place they name, you're working illegally). Personally speaking, I've never met anyone in Bangkok with a work permit for their part-time stuff- and I've met a lot of teachers, many of whom don't even have a work permit for their full-time stuff.

Chances are, I'm correct that the OP will technically be working illegally. Maybe an assumption, but hardly a big one. But yes, there's a tiny chance I'm wrong. :o Anyone care to scan in a part-time WP stamp from Khon-Kaen, just to prove one they are not only theoretical? :D

"Steven"

Anyone care to scan in a part-time WP stamp from Khon-Kaen, just to prove one they are not only theoretical? :o

"Steven"

I don't think work permits distinguish between f-t or p-t. The schedule you teach isn't mentioned in the wp as far as I know, only the location.

Again, thanks for the help!

I read about teachers doing private tutoring by hanging a sign out (not saying this is for me, just sparked the question).

I imagine this is also in violation of wp rules.

It is migrant, but hey it's Thailand. If you put up an advert anywhere, don't state your address just your mobile phone number.