Fire Guts Yacht in Chalong – VIDEO

webfact

image.jpeg

A serene afternoon turned into a scene of emergency when a yacht moored near Lon Island, approximately one nautical mile from Chalong Pier, was suddenly engulfed in flames.

At 3:35 PM on Monday, the Phuket Marine Police were alerted to the incident, which showed the vessel heavily ablaze, emitting thick black smoke visible from afar. The Royal Thai Navy, alongside the Phuket Marine Police, promptly responded to the distress call. Utilizing water pumps, they drew seawater to combat the fierce flames.

In a fortunate turn of events, the yacht’s owner, reported to be a foreign national, was successfully rescued from the inferno without sustaining any injuries. The fire was eventually brought under control, preventing further damage or loss of life.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-05-21

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Details of the boat.

The 34m sailing yacht 'Obsession II' was built by CIM in France at their Rochefort sur Mer shipyard. The interior is styled by design house Jacques Pierrejean and the boat was completed in 2002. The luxury vessel's exterior design is the work of Olivier Racoupeau and she was last refitted in 2008. II has been designed to comfortably accommodate up to 8 guests in 4 suites and normally has a crew of 5

https://www.boatinternational.com/yachts/the-superyacht-directory/obsession-ii--44753

I am sure some unqualified, self appointed, AN member expert, will be along soon, as normal, to proclaim it was insurance fraud, with them having zero information on what really happened.

IMG_2848.jpeg

IMG_2845.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A serene afternoon turned into a scene of emergency when a yacht moored near Lon Island, approximately one nautical mile from Chalong Pier, was suddenly engulfed in flames.

At 3:35 PM on Monday, the Phuket Marine Police were alerted to the incident, which showed the vessel heavily ablaze, emitting thick black smoke visible from afar. The Royal Thai Navy, alongside the Phuket Marine Police, promptly responded to the distress call. Utilizing water pumps, they drew seawater to combat the fierce flames.

In a fortunate turn of events, the yacht’s owner, reported to be a foreign national, was successfully rescued from the inferno without sustaining any injuries. The fire was eventually brought under control, preventing further damage or loss of life.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-05-21

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

What caused the fire???🙏

Glad no one died.  Hope it is a simple explainable case of fire.    At one time I had aspirations for retirement on a sail dive equipped boat.   

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Glad no one died.  Hope it is a simple explainable case of fire.    At one time I had aspirations for retirement on a sail dive equipped boat.   

Now that would be the life I reckon.  Change of scenery whenever you want and access to thousands of dive sites. 

Sounds like a dream. 

Look like not all too many other boats are interesting in saving/helping the people onboard . Considering another boat passing by on the video as nothing unusual happen.

2 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

What caused the fire???🙏

It costs 10% of the price of boat per year to keep it floating. So sometimes it is caused by vision of sweet insurance payout to get out of that nonsense.

37 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Now that would be the life I reckon.  Change of scenery whenever you want and access to thousands of dive sites. 

Sounds like a dream. 

I did that for 8 years in the Med on a 36ft ketch. Great life.  Only sold the boat when I moved to Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, AnotherOneHere said:

It costs 10% of the price of boat per year to keep it floating. So sometimes it is caused by vision of sweet insurance payout to get out of that nonsense.

Congratulations on being the first to suggest insurance fraud, without a shred of evidence that suggests that. Can you please tell us what makes you think this was arson?

Have you any idea how a fire investigation and insurance investigation works?

Do you really think insurance companies just pay out regardless?

On 5/21/2024 at 6:02 PM, Korat Kiwi said:

It looks to have been a really nice yacht and would have been a great home too. 

The owner is probably feeling a bit like the yacht.. Gutted. 

He'll Be O.K. When he gets his Insurance pay out ! ! !