Teenage bike gang fight leaves one dead in Chiang Mai

webfact

Teenage Bike Gang Fight Leaves one Dead
by CityNews

gang-fight-1024x576.jpg

CityNews – On January 4, a gang of seven teenagers were arrested in connection with the murder of a Shan Man after a gang fight broke out on the way back into town from the Winter Fair 2016 in Mae Rim.

On the night of January 2, a body was found on the roadside in Chiang Phuak area following reports of a violent gang fight. Police found over 130 yaba pills on the body.

According to investigations, the Shan man died from blunt force trauma to the head by cement blocks and brick after a gang of teenagers from Mae Rim began fighting with a gang of Shan teenagers and young adults.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/teenage-bike-gang-fight-leaves-one-dead/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2016-01-05

A stand up toe to toe among groups of young ens is fair enough, but they don't seem to be able to use their hands over here without escalation.

Marquess of Queensberry Rules works very well inside a boxing ring when one is fighting for points. Fighting in the real world is for a different purpose and has no rules.

There are indeed 'rules' to a fight, even a street fight. When your opponent is down and unconscious, you stop hitting/kicking/smashing his head with a brick, as it's over and you've won- there's a point where a 'fight' becomes attempted (or actual) murder. That's how it worked when I was growing up in Brooklyn- when I see these videos of incapacitated people whose beatings continue well after the actual fight is over, I cringe. Obviously I haven't seen a video of the fight in the OP, but I wouldn't be shocked if it followed suit with other altercations I've seen in Thailand.

Yes, you do what you need to do to end the fight, but you also have to know when it's time to stop.

Violence is fine, as long as it's good old fashioned western violence that follows the rules?

What the hell is good to use violence? Are you mad?

I was asking a question, not making a statement. I don't like violence of any kind.

Violence is fine, as long as it's good old fashioned western violence that follows the rules?

What the hell is good to use violence? Are you mad?

I was asking a question, not making a statement. I don't like violence of any kind.

ok, that's a proper statement

"The two gangs began revving their motorcycles to create more noise than the other gang".. Just getting back from a Mensa convention, I'd guess.

Do these rice rocket jockeys have an IQ over 69? Every night I have a IQ 69 (or lower) convention of jockeys outside my condo. The BIB have long rolled up the carpet and gone home and these guys are the ruling Road Kings for hours well into the night. I would suggest a weekly check point to the BIB but I think I would be laughed out of their office. No workee after dark.

There are indeed 'rules' to a fight, even a street fight. When your opponent is down and unconscious, you stop hitting/kicking/smashing his head with a brick, as it's over and you've won- there's a point where a 'fight' becomes attempted (or actual) murder. That's how it worked when I was growing up in Brooklyn- when I see these videos of incapacitated people whose beatings continue well after the actual fight is over, I cringe. Obviously I haven't seen a video of the fight in the OP, but I wouldn't be shocked if it followed suit with other altercations I've seen in Thailand.

Yes, you do what you need to do to end the fight, but you also have to know when it's time to stop.

History of your quoted neighborhood suggests different. As long ago as what is portrait in the fact based "The Gangs of New York", the only rule applied was "win". This one and only rule, unfortunatly, still continues,not only in Thailand as the knocked would like to believe, but throughout the world today.

History of your quoted neighborhood suggests different. As long ago as what is portrait in the fact based "The Gangs of New York", the only rule applied was "win". This one and only rule, unfortunatly, still continues,not only in Thailand as the knocked would like to believe, but throughout the world today.
Well, you're using an example from over 150 years ago - much of that book (if you've actually read the book rather than just watched the sensationalized movie, in which few of the scenes are actually from the historical record) takes place before the Civil War, and, even in the book, most fights ended without death being the end result. As I said, I grew up in the city (not the Five Points neighborhood depicted in 'Gangs of New York', but only a few miles away- my dad grew up in the heart of it, though, and I've heard a lot about how it was in the 1950s- rough, but not many deaths were recounted by him, at any rate), and I have a pretty good idea of how most fights were concluded in more recent years.;)

Maybe I'm getting old and things have changed, and now you haven't won the fight if your opponent is still breathing- that's a shame.

Edited by flare

Stopping when the opponents goes down is a rather civilized act. Inner cities youth and Thai youth seem to have a different purpose: kill or main. Says a lot about the level of civilization here and in the urban ghettos of the West.

Street defense is simple: neutralize the opponent and move away. Systema, Krav Marga, and other defense techniques don't advocate adding an cement block to the head after the attacker goes down, unlike here in Land of Smiles where group beat-downs are meant to end life.

I hope the killers (let's call them what they are) are put in jail for a long time. Unfortunately TIT and the jail sentence will probably be less than getting popped with Yaba.

Edited by connda

If one gang is Shan - they are from Myanmar (originally at least). They are not Burmese, they refuse that word. They are certainly not Thai.

The Shan are Thai Yai. They are Thai people even if they do not have Thai nationality papers. There are Thai people who live in Myanmar, China, Cambodia and even Vietnam.

Just like in places like Surin there are Cambodian people who have Thai nationality but speak a Cambodian dialect at home.

Shan and Thai languages are very similar where as Burmese and Cambodian is very different.

Up here in Chiang Rai most of us look at the Thai Yai as Thai that just happened to be on the wrong side of the river when the British showed up. That being said they are clearly at an economic disadvantage today and it is just down to bad luck. 100 years ago it was a different story. Shan State was doing very well and it was the Thai who were poor (up here at least).

There punishment is to have the government change there diapers and send them home after they say they are sorry for killing this young Thai man! Get real Thailand! These gangs should grow some balls and fight like real men.

Edited by Nobb

There punishment is to have the government change there diapers and send them home after they say they are sorry for killing this young Thai man! Get real Thailand! These gangs should grow some balls and fight like real men.

Dont be silly they may get hurt like that

A stand up toe to toe among groups of young ens is fair enough, but they don't seem to be able to use their hands over here without escalation.

Marquess of Queensberry Rules works very well inside a boxing ring when one is fighting for points. Fighting in the real world is for a different purpose and has no rules.

Depends who's real world you mean, when I was a young en in the 80's in England because of violence being on the rise and football hooliganism the government decided to try and stamp out violence (no pun intended). New tougher laws were brought in and anyone caught kicking a downed opponent for example was given an immediate 4 years, 1 of my pals a nice guy in the wrong place with no criminal record was given 2 and a half years just for a punch up with someone who actually wanted one and started it (just wasn't very good at it). So fighting "in the real world" quickly took on new fairer rules back then.

If one gang is Shan - they are from Myanmar (originally at least). They are not Burmese, they refuse that word. They are certainly not Thai.

The Shan are Thai Yai. They are Thai people even if they do not have Thai nationality papers. There are Thai people who live in Myanmar, China, Cambodia and even Vietnam.

Just like in places like Surin there are Cambodian people who have Thai nationality but speak a Cambodian dialect at home.

Shan and Thai languages are very similar where as Burmese and Cambodian is very different.

Up here in Chiang Rai most of us look at the Thai Yai as Thai that just happened to be on the wrong side of the river when the British showed up. That being said they are clearly at an economic disadvantage today and it is just down to bad luck. 100 years ago it was a different story. Shan State was doing very well and it was the Thai who were poor (up here at least).

Shan are NOT the same as Thai. For a start they don't look the same and their language is so different that a Thai can not understand a word when they're speaking. The Shan that live near MaeSai are closest to Thais, but thats only an incremental similarity which doesn't hold for Shan's living in another part of the Shan state.

There were several unprovoked attacks on Shans over Songran last year two ended up in hospital. Another attack happened to a Shan friend of mine while he and I were walking back from a toilet block at Huay Tun Tao. 7 Thai youths descended on him from nowhere kicking him around like a football. For sure he would have ended up in hospital if I hadn't intervened in the strongest way.