Finnish boy, 16, injured in Phuket jet-ski collision: VIDEO

webfact

VIDEO: Finnish boy, 16, injured in Phuket jet-ski collision
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A 16-year-old Finnish tourist on holiday in Phuket with his family was injured in a jet-ski collision at Kata Beach yesterday (Jan 4).

Elias Akseli was riding a jet-ski when he collided with a jet-ski operated by a family member at about 4pm, The Phuket News was told.

Mr Akseli suffered an injury to his lower left leg and was quickly brought to shore by lifeguards and Royal Thai Navy water safety officers stationed at the Tourist Rescue Centre at Kata.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/video-finnish-boy-16-injured-in-phuket-jet-ski-collision-55680.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-05

Good to hear that there was only minor injuries. On the video, the woman (I suppose boys mother) seemed to take control of the situation.

Good to hear that there was only minor injuries. On the video, the woman (I suppose boys mother) seemed to take control of the situation.

On the video that left leg looks to be broken.

I consider it as a minor injure, like everything what is not life threatening and fixable within few months. I'm not sure what is the official definition, but I guess it goes along the same line.

It's also too bad that the rescue guys in orange can't speak English. For an international destination that receives millions of visitors, you would think there would be a requirement to communicate in the most popular language for these types of jobs, but one can only dream............

On the video that left leg looks to be broken.

I consider it as a minor injure, like everything what is not life threatening and fixable within few months. I'm not sure what is the official definition, but I guess it goes along the same line.

A broken major bone is always considered a serious injury as it causes a serious impediment, that may in most cases remedy itself within a couple of months, but not always, a broken leg can also result in a life long impediment.

How long before the jet ski operators get involved for compensation for the damage caused to the jet skis?

Hope the kid gets better and suffers no lasting effects from the injury.

Edited by khundon

Very irresponsible to allow a 16 year to control a powerful jet-ski.

Saw a 9-10yo half thai drive his brother back home from ISP with no helmet today.

And the parents will weep at their dead child's cremation ... that's the trouble with the 'mai pen rai' thinking ... will never happen to me or my family .. sigh sigh

Saw a 9-10yo half thai drive his brother back home from ISP with no helmet today.

And the parents will weep at their dead child's cremation ... that's the trouble with the 'mai pen rai' thinking ... will never happen to me or my family .. sigh sigh

seeing how some of the mothers drive, its probably safer :)

Most of the time if a parent drives a kid to school, they still don't wear helmets. Unfortunately fighting against natural selection is an already lost battle.

"The Phuket News has yet to learn what damages Mr Akseli and his family will be asked to pay as compensation to the jet-ski operator."

Can any readers confirm Yes/No that mandatory insurance was required of all Jet Ski operators in Phuket ?

Most of the time if a parent drives a kid to school, they still don't wear helmets. Unfortunately fighting against natural selection is an already lost battle.

I wound't say it would be a bad thing in this ever growing population of our world.

"The Phuket News has yet to learn what damages Mr Akseli and his family will be asked to pay as compensation to the jet-ski operator."

Can any readers confirm Yes/No that mandatory insurance was required of all Jet Ski operators in Phuket ?

YES it was required, but the renters will still pay cash for the damages.

when will this jet ski shit stop finally? Nobody needs these stinking toys. And how many accidents must happen to stop that business. Use section 44, man!

The accidents that happen (the ones you read about) pretty much only happen to tourists visiting Thailand, most probably with negligible to no experience on them. There is a big number of privately owned PWC's, me included who are responsible operators of these craft.

You can jump on the anti jet-ski band wagon as much as you like but you are not seeing the full picture, only reading and judging the negative stories coming from the main tourist destinations.

Yes, some people don't like them, some do. Some people don't like noisy motorbikes, some do. Some people don't like Somtam, some do ....... got the picture?

when will this jet ski shit stop finally? Nobody needs these stinking toys. And how many accidents must happen to stop that business. Use section 44, man!

The accidents that happen (the ones you read about) pretty much only happen to tourists visiting Thailand, most probably with negligible to no experience on them. There is a big number of privately owned PWC's, me included who are responsible operators of these craft.

You can jump on the anti jet-ski band wagon as much as you like but you are not seeing the full picture, only reading and judging the negative stories coming from the main tourist destinations.

Yes, some people don't like them, some do. Some people don't like noisy motorbikes, some do. Some people don't like Somtam, some do ....... got the picture?

There is a big difference between owing a jet ski and just hiring one !

There is a big difference between owing a jet ski and just hiring one !

Of course, but the big problem here is that the hired ones are rented by tourists and the owned ones are invisible to the nay sayers.

Have you ever tried one? It is freaking great..........
I have, but confess it's not so great for people dealing with the noise, always blown ashore, and swimmers gettin brained by clowns thinking they're the maritime version of Evil Kenievel. Sydney Harbour outlawed them for good reason.

Very stupid for tourists to continue to rent these bloody things given their notoriety. No sympathy from me.

I suppose a lot of people are still unaware of the scams associated with jet-ski. While you're lack of sympathy is heartless.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Very stupid for tourists to continue to rent these bloody things given their notoriety. No sympathy from me.

I suppose a lot of people are still unaware of the scams associated with jet-ski. While you're lack of sympathy is heartless.

I have zero sympathy for those taken by a financial scam. Physical injury deserves some sympathy to the injured but not for the parents who should know better and take care of their kids.

Nothing to do with the age, nothing wrong with 16 year olds riding jet skis. You have to do something incredibly stupid to crash in the open sea with another jet ski. It's way more dangerous to kids themselves and others on the road to be riding motorbikes for instance.

In Finland anyone over 15 can drive a boat or yacht of any size with no limitation on power (as long as it doesn't carry commercial passengers) and there are rarely any problems except with drunk people during public holidays etc.

Anyway hope he recovers well and won't get scammed too much with the repair costs.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

I reserve my sympathy for those who deserve it. Not some half witted boy who a toss did not give to the effects of the noise disturbing other holidaymakers peace nor the pollution/danger to swimmers and sea life. Perhaps if a few more of them actually died, this idiocy might stop. Natural Selection.

Edited by dageurreotype