Hua Hin - Info

leeroy221

Hi all,

We usually stay in Jomtien, Pattaya but this August we are opting for an additional 5-7 day stay in Hua Hin. Can you tell me what its like there in general?

We like the beach, bars with pool tables and day trips. Is it quiet, are there many bars (small ones with pool, not gogos etc.)

We rent a house when in Jomtien, does anyone know a 3bed house for rent in the area, close to the beach or can recomend a hotel close to the beach? We would look at around £40-50 a night.

Also, as we will be going over to Jomtien ater this stay, whats the best way to travel there? Rent a car? Train? Or a mini bus?

Cheers,

Lee

Hua Hin is nothing like Pattaya. It is quiet, has plenty of restaurants and bars, has heaps to offer, as far as short trips, walks and bike rides, water world, great winery to visit for tastings and lunch. We go back year after year.

Hua Hin stays quite busy, but, unlike Pattaya, has a very low profile on the sex industry.

Lots of bars, great restaurants, and places to go.

Beach others can comment on, but I imagine similar.

Cha Am is quieter, more "Thai" but can be very to crazy busy along the beach road on weekends and holidays. Bars, and restaurants, but a lower number.

We always opt to stay in Cha Am, and visit Hua Hin for food, drink, etc at times.

Have rented short term through the various websites, 2 bedroom though, not 3, similar to your budget.

Quite a few nice day trips around

If you know where to go beach wise you will probably prefer to head further South a little to Suan Son Pradiphat which is only about 10km South of the town centre. It is cleaner, quieter and doesn't have hidden rocks in the water like the main beach does.

There is a red light district so to speak but it is easily avoidable. The amount of restaurants to choose from that are decent is growing in number by the week it seems, there are a lot dotted all around. I have found that Upper East side has many great little restaurants located along the main road which heads out of Hua Hin, but they are literally everywhere. There is a great evening / night foodcourt on Soi 88 - Bon Gai, you should check that out.

​There are quite a lot of tourists but it is nowhere near as dirty or seedy as Pattaya, there is little to no comparison.

I found Cha Am to be pretty lame as far as the beach goes, but it is quieter, Prachuap on the other hand has nicer beaches and is also quieter, may be worthy of a trip down there as it is not far at all really.

There are many decent hotels on the beach and within 5 minutes walking distance of the beach, around soi 55. But if you do not like the gogo bat scene then I would suggest not to stay in and around where the Hilton is located as it sits right on the edge of the red light district.

If you know where to go beach wise you will probably prefer to head further South a little to Suan Son Pradiphat which is only about 10km South of the town centre. It is cleaner, quieter and doesn't have hidden rocks in the water like the main beach does.

There is a red light district so to speak but it is easily avoidable. The amount of restaurants to choose from that are decent is growing in number by the week it seems, they're is a lot dotted all around if you take the time to look and survey. I have found that Upper East side has many great little restaurants located along the main road which heads out of Hua Hin, but they are literally everywhere. There is a great evening / night foodcourt on Soi 88 - Bon Gai, you should check that out.

​There are quite a lot of tourists but it is nowhere near as dirty or seedy as Pattaya, there is little to no comparison.

I found Cha Am to be pretty lame as far as the beach goes, but it is quieter, Prachuap on the other hand has nicer beaches and is also quieter, may be worthy of a trip down there as it is not far at all really.

There are many decent hotels on the beach and within 5 minutes walking distance of the beach, around soi 55. But if you do not like the gogo bar scene then I would suggest not to stay in and around where the Hilton is located as it sits right on the edge of the red light district.

Edited by monk213

I am just back from a week in Hua Hin, for me it's similar to other places in Thailand same shops, streets, carts selling food etc. It's a smaller version of Pattaya but with a better beach if you can avoid the horse s***.

It's more expensive, chair on the beach is 100 baht, beer is Phuket prices and my Thai lady said the clothes market was expensive. There did appear to be a good choice of restaurants. I went to the Food Court which was good, good selection of fresh cooked food and there was a band on who were decent, drinks were very cheap considering the bars were expensive in town.

Yes go, 5/7 days enough to see the sites etc.

Bells are running VIP Coaches from Pattaya to Hua Hin, leave every day from the North Pattaya Bus Station at 11am returning from Hua Hin the same time, 800 baht return, non stop 5 hours so take some food on the bus, they do supply water, I think the service is only going to run for a short period though during the peak holiday period.

Nothing like Patts! In August it is very quiet here in HH. Plenty of bars, restaurants and no go go scene as such. There are bar girls but easily avoidable. The beaches are ok but not spectacular. For accommodation info and activities, best to join the dedicated HH Forum (Google it) and also there are quite a few Facebook groups that cover this stuff. You want the quiet life but still enjoy a quiet beer in a good spot, welcome to HH....

It's nothing like Pattaya . Plenty of expat bars with good quality pool tables. Check out click bar. All beer 39 baht from something like 4 till 7. Nice beach. Chilled joint. Also has bar with great music. El Doro. Beat way to.get to Jomiten from hua hin is taxi. It goes south of bkk central.2500. Taxi to hh expect to pay 2000.

I am just back from a week in Hua Hin, for me it's similar to other places in Thailand same shops, streets, carts selling food etc. It's a smaller version of Pattaya but with a better beach if you can avoid the horse s***.

It's more expensive, chair on the beach is 100 baht, beer is Phuket prices and my Thai lady said the clothes market was expensive. There did appear to be a good choice of restaurants. I went to the Food Court which was good, good selection of fresh cooked food and there was a band on who were decent, drinks were very cheap considering the bars were expensive in town.

Bells are running VIP Coaches from Pattaya to Hua Hin, leave every day from the North Pattaya Bus Station at 11am returning from Hua Hin the same time, 800 baht return, non stop 5 hours so take some food on the bus, they do supply water, I think the service is only going to run for a short period though during the peak holiday period.

There are at least 5 different markets in HH so you should look around and also learn to haggle a bit thumbsup.gif The actual main beach is something I avoid like the plague unless it is at night time as like I mentioned Suan Son Pradiphat or even Koh Takiap is a different kettle of fish; and why do you need a chair anyway? I either just take a huge weaved beach matt or nab a free chair as they are everywhere. By any chance did you go to Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park, Hin Lek Fai, Pala u waterfall, Wat Huay Mongkol and many other places that are within one hours journey? Did you get to see the guy with the bottle and fire routine at the food court on soi 88 lol, he is pretty damn good I must admit, and that band is great, the lead signer for the first half being masculine and then after the break being in drag and signing like a lady boy, quite entertaining whilst being surrounded by pretty much every type of food you can imagine.

Edited by monk213

There are at least 5 different markets in HH so you should look around and also learn to haggle a bit thumbsup.gif The actual main beach is something I avoid like the plague unless it is at night time as like I mentioned Suan Son Pradiphat or even Koh Takiap is a different kettle of fish; and why do you need a chair anyway? I either just take a huge weaved beach matt or nab a free chair as they are everywhere. By any chance did you go to Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park, Hin Lek Fai, Pala u waterfall, Wat Huay Mongkol and many other places that are within one hours journey? Did you get to see the guy with the bottle and fire routine at the food court on soi 88 lol, he is pretty damn good I must admit, and that band is great, the lead signer for the first half being masculine and then after the break being in drag and signing like a lady boy, quite entertaining whilst being surrounded by pretty much every type of food you can imagine.

I have been to Hua Hin before and visited all the aforementioned places, got to agree the band are very good. At 64 the last thing I want to do is lie on the beach on a mat, I would rather pay the 100 baht which I did. Chairs are free if you buy a meal at 'Beach Prices.

I have been to Hua Hin before and visited all the aforementioned places, got to agree the band are very good. At 64 the last thing I want to do is lie on the beach on a mat, I would rather pay the 100 baht which I did. Chairs are free if you buy a meal at 'Beach Prices.

Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park is probably one of the most beautiful places I have been to, just an opinion, and you need more than one day to see it all actually and need wheels for sure.

Chairs are free anyway tongue.png but anyway like I said I don't like the main Hua Hin beach, typical holiday farang with meh style sand, high prices and sharp hidden rocks in the sea. And as far as using a mat, I don't know I guess I have just become too Thai and don't give a damn about a chair .. again personal opinion

Edited by monk213

I can't comment on Pattaya as I haven't been there for thirty years but we regularly go to Hua Hin. It is a lovely city with lots to do, you can visit the palace, temples in the hills, a vineyard and many good seafood restaurants for the better ones you may need a car. Nightlife is fairly subdued and there is a nightmarket. One word of advice avoid staying at weekends -Friday and Saturday, prices at the better hotels skyrocket because the Thais descend on the place.

Can you tell me what its like there in general?

It's like Pattaya.

My wife and I visited Cha Am and Hua Hin last October. Cha Am was okay but Hua Hin was nothing special.

We won't be rushing back.

We did them both about 8 years ago and came to exactly the same conclusion.